Colt 380 for summer CCW?

Colt 380 for summer CCW?

This is a discussion on Colt 380 for summer CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, I'm very glad I found this site - I have spent hours reads old threads and I have learned alot in the past few ...

Question Colt 380 for summer CCW?

First, I'm very glad I found this site - I have spent hours reads old threads and I have learned alot in the past few days. Lots of good info - I especially like the practical info on holsters and carry tips.

This is the situation I'd like some feedback on. A couple weeks ago I got presented the chance to buy 3 handguns. It was one of those, " I hear you like guns, I want these guns out of the house" type things. The price was so low I couldn't afford to say no. So that is how I came to own this -

This Government Model 380 had had less than 50 rounds fired since it was purchased new in Oct 1993 ( the receipt is in the case ). Last weekend I fired about 100 rds of assorted 95gr and 100gr FMJ and 88gr through 102gr JHP with zero failures of any kind - which makes my decision tougher - if it was not reliable I could easily send it down the road. I'm liking the gun itself, I just have doubts about the cartridge. I have a Kimber 1911 and love the 45ACP, but found I don't carry a fullsize gun in the summer months. This Colt is so small I would be more likely to carry it.

So before I spend money on a good IWB and pocket holster, what kind of reputation does this model have? I searched the forum and didn't find anyone saying they carried it. I would appreciate some feedback on whether to continue to break this one in or if it would be better to sell/trade away and get something else. Thanks
    Last edited by Arty; April 14th, 2006 at 04:09 PM.

I have that gun in the older blued finish. Its a great little gun. My father and i put about 3k rounds through it with no problems at all. Right now its my moms home defence gun. She is not a advanced shooter so something small and with a light recoil was right up her ally. As far as carrying it goes. I havent carried mine, but when if i get it back from my mom then i would consider it for summer carry but with it being so small i would probubly pocket carry it
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

I had one years ago (blue finish) and sold it. Big mistake. It was a great little gun. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it in the summer (I carry a 1911 45 ACP usually) -- but it's first having a gun, second the hit and third the bullet size. There are times I cannot hide my 1911. A 380 would be ideal then.
    Just my 2 cents but I think you have a fine carry piece.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have a Colt Mustang 380. It is a great gun. The caliber is marginal and certainly does not compare with the 45. However the last few weeks I have been in situations where I could not carry my 45 and I have been carrying the mustang. Ido not feel unarmed. It is not my first choice but as has been said here many times, any gun with you is better then a bigger gun left at home. BTW I use a Don Hume OWB for my 380 it works great.

KEEP THIS GUN OR SELL IT TO ME!!! I made the major mistake of selling mine last summer - I keep begging my friend to sell it back to me!! Great gun - utterly and totally reliable!!!

Assistant Administrator
    While I think a shade bigger for cal than some options - it is a fine piece and I'd be drooling all over if I'd had a chance to snap it up.

Probably will be times when that fella will fill a niche very nicely.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

erh
    Arty - I for one would keep it; but since I'm not you I'm gonna ask if you'd like to trade it for something else? I've got a few possibilities...

Eric Howland

Thats a keeper!!, Pardon my drool!
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT each and every day. On duty it is my “BUG”. A 380 auto in hand is better than two .45’s back home. Yes I known most will make fun of the 380 auto. But I do not see any one volunteering to get shot by one. Get to know some peoples with a CCW and spot check them, you will find that the ones with the big guns do not have them on their persons at all times. They will look at you like sheep and tell you that their gun is in the car/back home/or it is to hot that day to carry it. You got a great gun, you cannot go wrong with Colt, no matter what the caliber. If you don’t like it tell me your price.

frankmako

My old one!! sniff sniff

Many, many thanks to all who have responded. The message I'm getting loud and clear is how critical it is to have the gun in the first place, and also that this particular firearm is up to the task. The having the gun part is where I knew I was lacking....and this pistol will make it easier to maintain the discipline of daily carry.

Next step then is to look at all the holster options...so I guess I'm good for a stupid question or two in that forum. I'm going to continue breaking in this pistol on the range. Thanks again to all who shared their wisdom on this topic.

Arty,
    I think that is an awful gun and you should sell it to me immediately!!
    ok, it was worth a try. I think the caliber is a little on the small side, but I would rather have it than nothing at all. if you shoot it good and you hit what you are aiming at, then carry away.
    Miwall

I use Don Hume IWB and Pocket for my holster. I have a Mustang and won't part with it. These are fast becoming collector items.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Links