Kimber Advice

This is a discussion on Kimber Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about getting a Kimber Ultra Carry II which is the compact mini 1911. I already have a full size 1911 ( not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Advice

Kimber Advice

I was thinking about getting a Kimber Ultra Carry II which is the compact mini 1911. I already have a full size 1911 ( not a kimber ) and I love it. Seems the trigger perfect and hardly any recoil.

My question is to the people who know about Kimber since I dont know much about them I was wanting to know if this would be a good ccw gun? what do you like about them? any flaws? my local gun shop is willing to sell me one for around $800 is that a good deal? any and all advice would be appriciated.

2. Remove Ads

It depends on your defenition of a good ccw gun. They are reliable, accurate and well made guns. I wouldn't carry one as all steel guns are to uncomfortable for me to carry because of the weight. If your not weight sensitive it's hard to beat a Kimber.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II in black. Upon purchase I had a slide stop issue that led to Fail-to-Feeds. Kimber replaced it with no problem and the gun functions flawlesslessly. With all Kimber 3 inch Ultra Carry guns, the field strip has an additional step with placement of an L shaped wire to hold the recoil assembly.

See the following link on Field Stripping:
    YouTube - Episode 5.1 - Kimber Ultra Carry Fieldstrip

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    It depends on your defenition of a good ccw gun. They are reliable, accurate and well made guns. I wouldn't carry one as all steel guns are to uncomfortable for me to carry because of the weight. If your not weight sensitive it's hard to beat a Kimber.
    The Ultra Carry II isn't all steel, the SIS Ultra is all steel, but unless Kimber has widened their line again this year, the SIS Ultra is the ONLY all steel 3" 1911 that Kimber offers.

Personally, having owned four Kimbers, two of them being Ultras, one a CDP, and the other a Stainless Ultra Carry (both pre series IIs), I'd look at other vendors, I just don't think that Kimber is running an even keel regarding cost vs. quality.

I love my UC and it is designed to be a concealed carry gun due to the aluminum frame. Probably has the best reputation among 3 inch barrel 45s.
    Rubber grips soften the recoil and is an accurate gun. Would I ever sell my UC? No. Sounds like a good price for a new gun.

so the ultra carry is a aluminum frame and not a steel frame. How is the recoil since it is so compact? I am not sure if i am "weight sensitive" I switch up what I carry depending on what I am wearing ( some things are easier to hide ) but in summber I use 9mm ( karh or taurus slim ) in winter I use grock 23. I am not sure how heavy the glock is, but I imagine the UC is similar in weight?

The recoil on the Kimber UC II is manageable. I was pleasantly surprised at the recoil. At 25 yards one gets good groupings. I believe the Kimber weighs 25 oz. Due to the design of the ejection port, the spent cartidges are thrown sufficiently away from the shooter!

also what other vendors do you suggest? I don't HAVE to purchase another gun but I have recently heard people talk good about kimbers so thats why I wanted to get feedback. so JD what do you think would be another vendor that has very good quality. money is not an issue to assure that my family and I are safe if god forbid anything should happen to us I want something that will go bang everytime without question weather its been fired 1 time or 1 thousand times

See also if you can get a used New-in-the-Box Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special. Although production ceased you can still find em. I just bought one. Check it out:

Product: Model CS45 Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The Ultra Carry II isn't all steel, the SIS Ultra is all steel, but unless Kimber has widened their line again this year, the SIS Ultra is the ONLY all steel 3" 1911 that Kimber offers.

Personally, having owned four Kimbers, two of them being Ultras, one a CDP, and the other a Stainless Ultra Carry (both pre series IIs), I'd look at other vendors, I just don't think that Kimber is running an even keel regarding cost vs. quality.
    Agreed. Springfield, Smith & Wesson, and others are offering much better guns for sometimes less money.

A Colt Defender is an awesome little gun too which I would choose over a Kimber any day.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    I field strip my EDC Ultra CDP w/o the tool. The Pro Carry (4") requires the tool. They're both light weight. I've had zero issues. I added CT grips and a 22 kit. I like the fact that all my fingers fit on the short grip, unlike combat tupperware in the same size. I also like the trigger better. But then, I'm a 1911 old fart. I have high regard for the SA loaded Micro Compact and the Colt Defender, as well.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    I've got an Ultra Carry and a G19. The UC seems a little lighter than the G19, to me and also seems more compact. I've haven't had any trouble with the UC, once I got rid of the factory mags. Of course, Wilson mags fix a lot of 1911's functioning problems.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I like Kimbers Pro series guns. The balance is just right, it's neither front or rear heavy. Makes for accurate shots and quick follow up shots. If you get the alloy frame model the light weight makes it a joy to carry all day. I carried a Pro Carry II for nearly 5 years before I had to sell it to help pay some medical expenses. :>(
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

the pro series seems to be a little big to carry or hide to me, how has it been when carrying? what are you carying it in ( what holster )

VIP Member
    I carry my Kimber Tactical Pro II in a VersaMax-II and can easily conceal it under a t-shirt. The right holster makes all the difference!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links