First night with my new gun, strange occurance

This is a discussion on First night with my new gun, strange occurance within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All my friends think it's a Glock . . . I usually tell them the Beretta is a example of fine Italian engineering, like a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First night with my new gun, strange occurance

All my friends think it's a Glock . . .

I usually tell them the Beretta is a example of fine Italian engineering, like a Ferrari . . .
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    Sorry about the sluts joke Chief, you GMs are alright.
    No problem... never liked the M9's anyway. Worked with SPECWAR for a few years and fell in love with the Sig 226. Still..... I wonder about you MA's
    Dave R.
    Retired Navy GMC(SW)
    "Remember the Cole"

Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post
    Never had police cars and helicopters doing a search in my neighborhood. That would be an uneasy feeling for sure. It sounds like you got the Beretta just in time.
    Not unusual in My neighborhood, instead of the Police, it is the Border Patrol.

First night with my new gun, strange occurrence
    At first I was thinking by the title that you may have had a pre-mature discharge. Glad to know all is well with you and yours! Keep up the good work, and keep us posted as to how things went the 'day after' the honeymoon.

I have my Px4 Storm 9mm for just over two years and NEVER had a failure to fire and I've put many different brands of ammo through my gun. It feeds everything it's given so I usually buy the cheapest USA brand I can find. Right now Wally World has been selling Federals for $9.50 per box so that's my ammo of choice for the moment. For self-defense I use Remington Golden Sabers 124gr +P and/or Magtech Guardian Gold 115gr +P. You'll love the gun, I know I do. Great choice and good luck with it. Hopefully you'll never 'need' it but it's a reliable firearm and will be ready when you are. One thing I noticed though. After a year my 'night sights' didn't glow anymore so I bought a set of Trijicons and even though I'm blind as a bat in the dark without my glasses, I can find my gun on the night table in pitch blackness. You might want to consider the upgrade as well. It's money well spent, especially when the night sights stop glowing. The range I go to charged me $80 installed... you can't beat that price. I saw them on the Internet somewhere for $105 so I got a deal and a half.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Congrats on the Beretta. You picked a good one. Has a very good grip and trigger. Won a backyard match with one a couple of years back where we were swapping each others guns and shot it the best of the bunch. I was using my S&W 2.5" 686 which was the the most inaccurate S&W I ever owned and have since traded off.

I'm with Biker. Minimum of 500 rounds through of WWB FMJ ammo and 250 of my favorites before I trust a semi , Speer Gold Dots or Winchester Rangers. Both 115 grainers.

Make sure you break that Storm in. It will serve you well and is a great gun for the money. I'd have a 12 gauge shotgun ready to go if I lived in a city with police helo's searching for criminals near my neighborhood. Glad I live in the sticks! Even here I still have my 870 riot ready to go.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Congrats on the Beretta. You picked a good one. Have a Vertec I use for IPSC and it's a fantastic semi.

I'm with Biker. Minimum of 500 rounds through of FMJ ammo before I trust a semi and 250 of my favorites, Speer Gold Dots.

After 19+ years of packing a Springer 1911 and a year and a half of CC with a great H&K P7 PSP I have went back to carrying the handguns I leaned how to shoot. My S&W 2.5" 19-4 loaded with 158 gr. SGD's with my trusty model 36 as a BUG. I shoot them both very well (especially the 19) IMO and I have never had a single malfunction with either one. Carry the 19 in an Alessi Body Guard SH and the 36 IWB in a HBE Pro TL and feel well armed with my pair. I always have the 36 on in case I'm in a hurry.

The Springer is now my bedside weapon and will always be my favorite semi.

Make sure you break that Storm in. It will serve you well and is a great gun for the money.
    I noticed a definite, noticeable difference in the way the gun performed after about 500 rounds... everything is a little smoother and looser but even more accurate than when I first got her. Now THAT is one gun I will NEVER sell!
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

I have to split my range days, between friends who want to shoot with me. And I have to ration ammo, I am a college student, working minimum wage and living on the GI Bill. I cant drop a few hundred into ammo just yet. Maybe next month . . .
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

It took me about two months to get 500 rounds through her so don' worry about rushing it. All good things take time. I used to clean mine after every shoot but now I clean it every third or forth time (I shoot 100 rounds each time I go to the range) and even with it not being cleaned every time, it still performs well.

--- Hugo Grotius

Laser "Squid,"

OK, OK--cheap shot! Couldn't resist a bit of interservice rivalry! I'll knock out a few push-ups as penance. :-) And although I had no contact with the Navy in 24 yrs Army service, I was VERY happy to know that my side had the best navy in the world. . . .

Anyway, your experience reminds me of a Friday night in Houston, about '91, when I realized the rumbling sound I was hearing was a low-level police helo, with its searchlight playing in & around MY BACKYARD! My Beretta (M92FS) was out in a flash, too, and it felt good. After a quick look around the house, I could see cruiser after cruiser zipping up & down the boulevard, lights flashing but no sirens. . .and I realized I was seeing flashlights playing around the house & driveway across the street. Obviously, dismounted officers looking for a BG!

I think I already had my AR-15 in hand by then, and the wife her .38. Soon after they caught the BG in my neighbor's backyard, where he had fled on foot after a cross-town shootout & car chase.

Like you, if felt very, very nice to have my fate in my own hands in case the BG decided to try hostage-taking at my house. . . .

Also like you, I understand the importance of breaking-in any SD/HD weapon, but you obviously did the right thing by getting her ready just in case.

Well done, and congrats.

I almost bought a Storm but got a Springer XD9SC instead. Personal preference. You got a good one.

As much as I love my Glocks, I have to get a Beretta some day. It's almost required by my Italian heritage!

As I understand it, Beretta is one of the oldest, continuously operated, privately owned businesses in the entire world...something like over 500 years!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Laser "Squid,"

OK, OK--cheap shot! Couldn't resist a bit of interservice rivalry! . . . .
    Same Team! Same Team! Lol

All I need to say . . .

YouTube - Go navy...Not Army. Funny Recruit video
    MA2, USN

-- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post
    ...helicopters doing a search in my neighborhood. That would be an uneasy feeling for sure.
    Ha! Try having a B2 fly 1500' AGL directly overhead for an uneasy feeling!

I never have my friggon camera ready when it happens either! One of these days, I'm gonna get a good picture!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    As much as I love my Glocks, I have to get a Beretta some day. It's almost required by my Italian heritage!

As I understand it, Beretta is one of the oldest, continuously operated, privately owned businesses in the entire world...something like over 500 years!
    Actually it's the oldest firearms manufacturer in the world. Theyve been in business just under 500 years.

Beretta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

--- Hugo Grotius

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links