Kahr T40 range report

This is a discussion on Kahr T40 range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the Kahr T40 (their "target" or "tactical" model, designation depends on sights equipped). Target models are equipped with adjustable rear sights with hoods ...

Thread: Kahr T40 range report

Kahr T40 range report

This is the Kahr T40 (their "target" or "tactical" model, designation depends on sights equipped). Target models are equipped with adjustable rear sights with hoods to protect the rear sight from impact, while tactical models are equipped with low profile Novak night sights. It features front and rear dovetails, although I wouldn't recommend trying to install any other sights, or move the current ones, without a professional grade sight pusher. They run the dovetails TIGHT. Capacity on this model is 7+1, which is the highest capacity .40S&W Kahr makes. All Kahrs are single stack guns.

It is a steel framed, DOA pistol with a match grade polygonal rifled barrel. Trigger pull is 6.25 pounds, with 1/2 inch of travel. This is similar to the Glocks, except that the reset point doesn't happen until you let the trigger all the way forward. Revolver shooters - this will make you feel right at home. The trigger is smooth, with no stacking. Due to the action design, you can't tell when the striker is going to be released. The striker is partially cocked by the slide going into battery, which seems to be the latest trend in firearm design.

The sear and drop safety lever are a one piece unit which rotates to the rear when the trigger is pulled. This results in the sear "slipping" off the striker in a rotational motion. You can't feel when the shot is going to break, which is very much the opposite to other striker fired guns (such as Glocks, M&P, Millenium Pro, etc.) in my experience, as most of the modern striker fired pistols push the striker in a linear fashion, then suddenly drop out of the way.

The gun weighs in at about 27 ounces. For comparison sake, it is .3" longer than my Kahr CW40, and about .4 of an inch taller. The CW40 is a polymer model and weighs almost 17 ounces. The T40 is wider in the grips, which feel a lot like a cross between a Hi Power and a S&W 39, than the CW40. Grip angle on all Kahrs will be welcomed by 1911 and Hi Power shooters.

Recoil is extremely controllable, follow up shots are quick, and the gun is incredibly accurate for it's size and action design. It balances very, very well in the hand, and isn't top heavy like the polymer models. This contributes to great handling and firing characteristics over the polymer guns.

All and all, I really like this pistol. For those that are looking at the Kahr pistols, the metal frames are a fraction of the weight of a 1911 for comparison, but are still controllable. The polymer models are a fraction of the price of the metal ones. I own one of both, and am a bit biased towards the steel gun, though I highly recommend the polymer models for those that aren't willing to spend about $100 more on a steel frame gun of the same model (although I do feel the price gap is MORE than worth it).

~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Another great Kahr range report, thanks. My 2 Kahrs and the Kahrs owned by my regular shooting buddies all have functioned extremely well and all universally love them. I have come to think now that most Kahr issues are operator error related.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Good report, thanks. I also have both the steel and poly "T" frames offered by Kahr, except both of mine are 9mm. I especially enjoy shooting the T9. It is one of the softest shooting 9mm guns I own... it even compares well with the HK recoil feel, and that's saying alot. In fact the closest gun I can compare my T9 to is the legendary HK P7.

Great gun, very much under-rated and under reported on... very accurate, very reliable, great trigger, easy to maintain, slim, compact and solid. What's not to like?

The only thing I'd disagree on is the grip comparison with the S&W 39. I much prefer the Kahr grip to the S&W. My one complaint about the T9 is the fact that the one and only grips available are the original wood grips. I'd love to have a slightly slimmer rubber grip...hear that Hogue...Pachmayr??

Thanks for the range report, and very nice Kahrs! I have the CW9 and I can imagine how nice the steel one shoots. I'm really glad Kahr stuck with the elite trigger in the CW series. Excellent firearms makers.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I put another 50 rounds through it tonight (100 total to date), after cleaning and lubing it yesterday. The accuracy is impressive to me. The group in the chest is 50 .40S&W from the T40, and the group in the belly is from my 5" 1911 at 7 yards. All shots were unsupported, and were just fired to get a better feel for the gun. The 1911 was fairly rapid fire, also 50 shots. I guess when Kahr says match grade barrel, they mean it!

Ignore the .22 holes, that was some experimentation with my Mark 3 and my AR with a .22 conversion at various ranges :D
    ~Mike F.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I'm really glad Kahr stuck with the elite trigger in the CW series. Excellent firearms makers.
    I'm pretty sure that they didn't. My T40 and CW40 have the same exact pull weight (6.25 pounds) and travel distance of 1/2 an inch.

One thing I have noticed with the T40 is the tendency to throw the first shot from the mag (loaded by me, not by recoil) away from the group is declining a little the more I shoot it. The CW40 hasn't changed no matter how much I've shot it.
    ~Mike F.

VIP Member
    I'm a big fan of the short stroke elite Kahr trigger and thin grip. Those are the reasons I chose the PM40 for pocket BUG. Thanks for the range report.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure all Kahrs produced after about 2003(4) have the "elite" trigger with the exception of the K9 "New York PD" triggers. The old Kahr trigger was a bit heavier and had a long pull. I had a very early K9 that I sold because I didn't like the trigger at all. My 2004 T9 and new TP9 have the same trigger. The CW series has the same trigger as all other Kahrs made today.

Kahrs website say length of pull is 3/8' at about 7# pull except fot NYPD which is 1/2".

VIP Member
    +1 for the Elite trigger. I was hesitant when I bought my CW9. I wanted to try the Kahr's out because I had heard good things about them, so I bought the CW9. I figured if I didn't like it I wouldn't take to big a hit on it, if I sold or traded it. It has become one of my favorite carry guns and the trigger is one of the biggest reasons.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    another "ditto" on the trigger. I really LOVE that trigger. As of yesterday I finally hit the 500 round mark in my recently acquired CW9. Every round has been 100% flawless.

I was considering the MK series originally...and it's still on the list, but now this thread has me thinking the "T" series. I too would prefer the "T" if there were thin, checkered hard rubber grips available. That would certainly bump it up a notch or two from my "want list" to my "must have list".

surv

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    another "ditto" on the trigger. I really LOVE that trigger. As of yesterday I finally hit the 500 round mark in my recently acquired CW9. Every round has been 100% flawless.

I was considering the MK series originally...and it's still on the list, but now this thread has me thinking the "T" series. I too would prefer the "T" if there were thin, checkered hard rubber grips available. That would certainly bump it up a notch or two from my "want list" to my "must have list".

surv
    It'll come in time. That is one thing that I wish was available right now, thinner grips. I'm seriously considering getting a spare set and sanding them down.
    ~Mike F.

Links