Tough call to make

This is a discussion on Tough call to make within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My father expressed interest in buying a handgun since he does not own one for his personal use. After a bit of conversation he mentioned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough call to make

Tough call to make

My father expressed interest in buying a handgun since he does not own one for his personal use. After a bit of conversation he mentioned liking Glocks after having fired mine on a few occations and wanted 9mm (cost of ammo and capacity was a concern in this decision). Anyhow I had been thinking of maybe giving him one of mine to save him some cash up front and then let him buy lots of ammo instead. Problem is I don't know which one of my 9mm Glocks I'd give up (have both a G19 and G17).

Given this situation would you keep the G19 or the G17? I have a G23 which is my new carry choice replacing my G19. Size won't matter, he won't be carrying it. Or should I not mention it and let him buy his own? I was just thinking it would be a good idea to give him one as a gift and then let him invest the money into ammo for range time which would be very beneficial to any shooter with a new gun.

What do you all think? Keep em both and let him buy one if he really wants, or give him the gun and let him save money for ammo? I have been thinking about this since the conversation we had this morning about it, but I keep going back and forth.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

I would lay my collection in front of my dad and tell him he could have whatever he chooses.

Guns can be replaced. Dads can't, and mine won't be around much longer.

I would do this ESPECIALLY if he didn't have a gun at all for self-defense.

You've got the rest of your life to add to your collection, but maybe only a small window of time to give something to your dad.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I would lay my collection in front of my dad and tell him he could have whatever he chooses.

Guns can be replaced. Dads can't, and mine won't be around much longer.

I would do this ESPECIALLY if he didn't have a gun at all for self-defense.

You've got the rest of your life to add to your collection, but maybe only a small window of time to give something to your dad.
    He has a Mossberg 500 shotgun. Just seemed interested in a pistol, auto, and he has experience with Glock and liked them when we went to the range with mine. He said he might buy one. Figured, save him the ~$500 and he can buy ammo instead. I know for a fact he would buy a 9mm if he went out and actually bought one, he already commented on ammo prices and it's what he's fired and is familiar with outside 1911s in .45acp.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I think that I would give him the same one that he had previously fired, which should have been the one that he liked.

You are a good son.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    He has a Mossberg 500 shotgun. Just seemed interested in a pistol, auto, and he has experience with Glock and liked them when we went to the range with mine. He said he might buy one. Figured, save him the ~$500 and he can buy ammo instead.
    I think it's very nice of you to consider giving him one. Picking a gun for your dad may be like picking one for a wife: it's usually best to let them pick it. He may have taken a particular liking to one of your pistols, but he might not admit it if you offered him a different one.

I think it's a great idea to give him one, but I'd still let him choose.

I would say if you were going to give up a Glock, probably the 19. Just in case he ever does decide to CCW, it is a little easier than with the 17 due to the size. Also, you already have complete confidence in any Glock you would hand over to your father. Therefore, you could have the peace of mind in knowing that it will not fail if he ever needs to count on it.

Personally, it would be my honor to have my father use or carry one of my guns.

If this were my situation, I would take my dad to my local gun store and say, "Dad, take your pick, this one is on me. Thanks for all you have done to raise me right!"

I am actually thinking of purchasing a Ruger LCP 380 for my brother. He has been there for me through the toughest of times. What is a family for?

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I think that I would give him the same one that he had previously fired, which should have been the one that he liked.

You are a good son.
    Well, he fired everything I have at one point or another. It's simply a matter of which one would find a better home. Glocks are all so similar, especially a G17 and G19 that outside of carry I don't think the differences are all that great.

I think that next time we go to the range, I'll pose a question to him and basically tell him whichever one he wants he can have.

I was really wondering if there was any reason I should keep one over the other. I honestly don't think he'd know the difference between them, except size. I can't remember specifics, but there didn't seem to be any differences for him accuracy wise between either.
    -Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Since his only intent is to have a home/range/fun gun, I'd suggest you offer him the G17. It's a full size gun and will be a little softer on recoil. The longer sight radius will be a big help for older eyes. It will probably mean more to him, that you gave it to him.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Well, he fired everything I have at one point or another. It's simply a matter of which one would find a better home. Glocks are all so similar, especially a G17 and G19 that outside of carry I don't think the differences are all that great.

I think that next time we go to the range, I'll pose a question to him and basically tell him whichever one he wants he can have.

I was really wondering if there was any reason I should keep one over the other. I honestly don't think he'd know the difference between them, except size. I can't remember specifics, but there didn't seem to be any differences for him accuracy wise between either.
    In that case, I would give him the G17. I would keep the G19 in case I decide to carry it as an alternate to the G23.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

In this instance, I'd more than likely give up my G17. It's mainly my match pistol now, and I would rather do without that than one of my carry pistols like the G19. It's for a good cause, but I'd still be hard pressed to part with any of my Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    If this were my situation, I would take my dad to my local gun store and say, "Dad, take your pick, this one is on me. Thanks for all you have done to raise me right!"

I am actually thinking of purchasing a Ruger LCP 380 for my brother. He has been there for me through the toughest of times. What is a family for?
    +1

That is exactly what I would do. For all my father did for me over the years, it would be the least that I could do.

Merry Christmas Dad!
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

If he's using it HD...G17. All the way. I also agree with Grady in just letting him choose.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would have given my dad anything he wanted...he would have (and did on many occasions) wanted me to choose, he was great to me. This is the time to let your dad choose, and encourage him to take what you think would be the very 'best' choice for his needs.

I agree with Grady's two posts...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Growing up I remember Dad gave me everything I needed and a lot of what I wanted. Let him choose the one he likes best.
    Beyond the material things Dad gave me, he gave me time, love, encouragement, confidence, a sense of responsibility and so many other things I am thankful for.
    Dad knows that if I ever have something he needs, it's his as long as he wants or needs it.
    Alternatively consider it a loan for as long as he needs it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links