Got a .40 cal that you like?

This is a discussion on Got a .40 cal that you like? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a friend who is getting into shooting and is interested in getting a ccw permit. He has shot my 1911 but wants to ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a .40 cal that you like?

I've got a friend who is getting into shooting and is interested in getting a ccw permit.

He has shot my 1911 but wants to try some others. He mentioned that the sig 226 felt good in his hands. Simply based on the availability of .40 cal ammo at walmart I am thinking that a 40 cal gun would be a good first shooter.

Do you have anything you would recommend in 40 cal?

There are plenty of 40 Caliber guns out there. Smith & Wesson made a Chief's Special 40 (CS40), Springfield Armory EMP 40, Glock etc. The great thing about the 40 is that ammo is readily available and at an affordable price. Glock is reliable and great bang for the buck. The EMP is a bit pricey, close to $1,000. Smith & Wesson stopped production on the CS40 because of the lighter weight polymer guns. However, if you are lucky you can find a CS40 new-in-box for about $450-500. For the time being, I am in the 1911 style fashion craze!

Glock 23 is my choice. Large enough to be very accurate and fun at the range. Small enough to conceal. It's a Glock, you know they're reliable. They're not too expensive, about ~$500 and there's tons of accessories you can pickup for them as well.

I do like HKs and SIGs as well, but I don't like HK triggers and I think SIGs are a bit heavy for carry but as a range or go to HD gun a SIG is great. You'll will get all kinds of answers. Everything from Glock, to an XD, to an M&P. I'd say have your friend find a local range that rents guns and try them out. See what works for him and what doesn't. Everything has a slightly different feel including recoil.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I love my XD40 service. Accurate, shoots whatever I feed it, easy to handle, goes bang everytime I pull the trigger, what more can one say?
    NRA Life Member

I love my Beretta PX4 Storm in .40 cal. Conceals well in a Crossbreed Supertuck for a decent size gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTom View Post
    Do you have anything you would recommend in 40 cal?
    That's easy...Glock 23 or 27... pick one...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Glock 23 for a compact, concealable, high capacity, and reliable ccw. While I have no experience with it, a Glock 27 would be just the same if he's in need of something smaller.

I did love my XDM in .40 as well, but it was definitely not as easy to conceal as my Glock 23 is...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

My recommendation would be the M&P 40 in a full size or compact, depending on the primary purpose.

If your friend holds one, nothing else will feel quite right.

Being made in the U.S. and having a lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Find a Colt Defender in 40. I've got one and love it. Colt doesn't make them in 40 anymore, but they are out there.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've shot the glock .40's, the P226, P229, the S&W, and a few others. I absolutely love my P229. If I was getting a .40 for non carry, I'd get the P226.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Just read on S&W news that the Washington State Police placed an order for the S&W M&P 40 over a "European Rival". The M&P is a nice looking piece!

VIP Member
    SIG... any SIG!

My favorite is the P-229R and if I got a .40, that'd be it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Yep....a couple of them. Both Glocks!

VIP Member
    M&P. I love mine!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

+1 for a Sig p229R. I love mine, feels more like an extension of my hand rather than a pistol. Eats whatever I put in it, never had a ftf.
    "SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM"
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links