Para...why can't I trust your LDA?!?

This is a discussion on Para...why can't I trust your LDA?!? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to! I really, really do! I want to purchase and carry one of your sweet little single-stack LDA pistols. I love the feel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Para...why can't I trust your LDA?!?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar

Para...why can't I trust your LDA?!?

I want to! I really, really do! I want to purchase and carry one of your sweet little single-stack LDA pistols. I love the feel and the trigger is great. But after owning (and getting rid of) 2 which consistently had FTF and FTE problems, I cannot bring myself to spend the money on another one, let alone trust my life with carrying it on my hip. Granted, it was several years ago. Should I give you another chance? Has the reliability of your LDA systems improved?
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    LOL. I know what you mean. I've been wanting a Warthog. However, due to Para's reputation, it's just not gonna happen.

I guess it all depends if they're feeling the pinch and are willing to take the proper steps to turn things around. Until then, no money from me!

a very active competitive shooter I know only uses para's. He has never had any issues with them and doesn't get them worked over by a gun smith. Currently he is using an LDA in 9mm, but has had several .45 versions as well. He swears not only by Para but by their LDA. I have had a few friends that have owned paras over the years and not had any issues with the function. One friend did have trouble with the finish wearing prematurely though.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I EDC a warthog. The only problem I had was during the break in period. The recoil spring assembly broke. Para replaced it no questions asked. Since then I've added hogue wrap around grips, NP3 to the controls and extended MSH. The parakote isn't impressive IMO.

I did have a problem with one brand of ammo locking the gun up. I couldn't rack the slide by hand and had to use a small screw driver to start it. I think the rounds might have been out of round or spec in some manner because I've had no problems with the Remingtons I currently carry.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I too have lusted after a Para LDA , but have only held one once.

Having never seen one in action and having read volumes of complaints I
    have passed on trying one.

I have often wondered what would have happened if Colt or even Springfield
    had bought the design.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I have owned two Para LDA guns. Still have one. I got a Companion when they first came out in 2002. Have many, many rounds through it and I think 3 FTF's all due to crappy reloads. I still own and carry it sometimes. I also had a 16.40 LDA for a while and had absolutely no problems with it. Traded it off on something else. I currently carry a Para SSP single action and it is the most reliable gun I have ever owned. The only major problem I have had was when I was an idiot and did not replace the weakened recoil spring in the companion and cracked the slide right at the dust cover. Called Para, sent it back and had a new slide in less than a week. I am happy with Para and will continue to use them. Just my .02

Gene Cole III

The only problem(s) I've had with my CCO were either mag related (cheap gun show mag) or ammo related (it doesn't like the cheap remington greenbox).

Other then that, it's been trouble free.

I luv the LDA trigger, and would consider buying another at some point
    (have thought about getting one of the PDA's), but there are some other things I'd like first.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I had the .45 Nighthawg. That's one awesome looking pistol and it fit my hand great. I just wish it hadn't had constant feed/eject issues with various ammo and different mags. I made sure I was limping it, too. I traded it for a S'field xd45c.

Para...why can't I trust your LDA

I currently own 2 Para LDA's. One is a single stack full size that I shoot IDPA with plus use it in CCW training. NO problems with it at all.
    I also own a single stack LDA para carry that I usually carry everyday in a crossbreed super tuck. The only problem I have had with it was with some reloads that I messed up. (forgot to check and set the O/A cartridge length. Other than this, they have both been 100% reliable.

I own three Para's. One has the the LDA trigger. Of the three, I alternate two of them as my daily carry guns. No function problems with any of the three. As others have said the Para-coat black finish is not very durable.

I love my Para .45 CCW in Stainless. I carried a Sig 220 for years and traded it for this LDA para and haven't looked back. No FTF or FTE. I don't use reloads but wouldn't hesitate if the quality was good. I carry mine with Buffalo Bore +P ammo .
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

My GI Expert 1911 came with a bad magazine which caused rounds to hang up, but other than that (and its thin black finish, grrr) it has been excellent. I carry it daily with a Wilson Combat 47D magazine in a SuperTuck. And its trigger is excellent, too.
    for Liberty click: LP.org
    Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no Vice - Barry Goldwater

Molon Labe!
    1835 Texas Version: Come & Take It!

Para

I own ParaCarry .45 LDA... I love it. I never had problems with jamming/feeding. Although a friend has same pistol and he had an issue, but it was due to lack of care. He went shooting 2xs in a month and kept it in a drawer for 6-8mo without cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    ...... But after owning (and getting rid of) 2 which consistently had FTF and FTE problems,......

On these two - did you ever try a "fluff and buff" or did you look to see if any of the parts were binding?

Reason I ask is - I have a small AMT pocket .45 that had tons of problems. It FTF/FTE repeatedly until I did fluff and buff. After that, never one jam with FMJ. It's smooth as silk. It still doesn't like JHP, but will feed FMJ all day long very nicely.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    On these two - did you ever try a "fluff and buff" or did you look to see if any of the parts were binding?

Reason I ask is - I have a small AMT pocket .45 that had tons of problems. It FTF/FTE repeatedly until I did fluff and buff. After that, never one jam with FMJ. It's smooth as silk. It still doesn't like JHP, but will feed FMJ all day long very nicely.

-
    To be honest, I did not. When the problems repeated themselves to the point that it became obvious they were not isolated incidents, I simply got rid of the pistols.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links