Unchamber at night or not?

This is a discussion on Unchamber at night or not? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My neighbor and I often get into various interesting discussions about firearms and carrying etc. Today was no different. Here's the scenario. You carry your ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unchamber at night or not?

Unchamber at night or not?

My neighbor and I often get into various interesting discussions about firearms and carrying etc. Today was no different. Here's the scenario.

You carry your gun with one in the chamber and a topped off magazine. You come home after running errands for the day etc. Assume the gun you carry is not necessarily the one you rely on for home defense.

Do you unholster it and unchamber the gun making it "safe"?
    Do you leave it chambered in the holster and put it away?

Lets assume you unchamber the gun. What do you do with the chambered round that ejects when you rack the slide to empty the gun?

I usually mark the round with a sharpie, empty the magazine and put that round at the bottom. Then when my magazine cycles all the way to that round with the mark I shoot them off at the range. That's quite a long time since I don't unchamber often at all.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    If the gun is to be SECURED and not back in regular rotation, sure I'll clear it. But if it's going right back on my hip the next day I leave it loaded...

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Unchamber the round once a week, for a quick cleaning if it's been carried regularly, otherwise, leave it alone.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I always leave my Springer 1911 (bedside weapon) ready to go. That way I don't have to think about anything except swiping the safety off as I make my way to pulling out my 870 riot.

My 19-4 which is my CCW goes into a discreet place in my living room loaded when I get home. My 36 is always on me, loaded and sleeps under my mattress ready to get up with me the next morning. BTW I have no small children.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

condition 3.

But I don't empty the mag, and cycle thru the lineup like you do. I bet there's a good reason you do that, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    condition 3.

But I don't empty the mag, and cycle thru the lineup like you do. I bet there's a good reason you do that, huh?
    Well, yes but as I said I don't regularly unload my CCW piece. Here's what I do. Come home, remove holster and put away with the gun loaded ready to go. I strap it on the next time I'm out. Bi-Weekly I unchamber the gun to go over it quickly with a cloth and get the dirt and any dust particles out, and make sure it's oiled up. Then I mark the ejected round and put it at the very bottom of the magazine and load it up again and top her off.

The reason I do that is because after a round is chambered there is a force on the bullet that can push it slightly into the casing. Too many times and the pressure gets dangerous. I'd say 2-3 times is about the max I'd do with any one round. But using the method above, I only go through the full 13+1 rounds of my G23 every 7 months. Takes quite a long time. If I were to go 2 chamberings with a round it'd be a year to go through the mag.

It's an interesting topic for me, I like hearing the methodology people use for their EDC.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Always 1 in the pipe on all of mine.

Any gun that stays in the safe stays chambered. I don't leave chambered guns around the house since I have a six year old.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    snip

The reason I do that is because after a round is chambered there is a force on the bullet that can push it slightly into the casing. Too many times and the pressure gets dangerous.
    Thanks for that info, sorry to temporarily derail your thread. Sounds like I do a lot of unnecessary unchambering, AND I should pay more attention to who's been chambered. Very educational thread, thanks!

Mine stays chambered.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

No children in the house and there never will be. The Mrs. is incapable of having children, and we don't allow children in our apartment. There is a Remington 870 shotgun near my nightstand, and a loaded Glock Model 20 ON the nightstand! There are loaded handguns in mumerous places throughout the apartment.

There's no need to "unchamber" anything.

I never unchamber my edc unless it's to fire it at the range, or to clean it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    Thanks for that info, sorry to temporarily derail your thread. Sounds like I do a lot of unnecessary unchambering, AND I should pay more attention to who's been chambered. Very educational thread, thanks!
    Bullet setback has been discussed before. You can do a search for some threads on the subject here.

If I were you I'd do this. Examine every round you've loaded (the entire magazine and box from which they came too) anything with a dent or scratch measure it against a new round of the same type (if you can) otherwise just toss it in a box labeled "bad rounds" or something. You can either try shooting them at the range or call your local PD or Sheriff's office and ask them if there is someplace you can bring old ammunition to for disposal. Most departments have the ability to take a bullet apart and dispose of it safely if you really don't want to shoot it at the range.

Safety first!
    -Thomas Jefferson

For those of you who say you unchamber to clean. What do you do with the round that has been chambered ONE time?
    -Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I walk in the door, open my CCW safe, place the pistol and holster in the safe and lock it up. The less the gun is handled the safer it is. I shoot about once a month...otherwise the same round sits in the chamber until fired. I rarely unload my CCW when not at the range.

What do you do with the round that has been chambered ONE time?
    I would rechamber it. A few times is fine. Over and over is asking for a high pressure shot and maybe a problem. Reduce your risk however you see fit.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links