Modifications To S&W Model 442

This is a discussion on Modifications To S&W Model 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a new S&W 442 (no internal lock) for CCW to replace my Sig P229 when my attire requires something more easily concealed. ...

Thread: Modifications To S&W Model 442

Modifications To S&W Model 442

I recently purchased a new S&W 442 (no internal lock) for CCW to replace my Sig P229 when my attire requires something more easily concealed.

I've added Crimson Trace laser grips (the ones with the slightly extended bottom, because my hand are a little larger than average), since the sights on these little J-frames are just okay.

So far, I just love this little baby. But, the out-of-the-box 14 lb. trigger pull isn't going to cut it. So, I am going to have a trigger job done. I am also going to have the exposed portion of the trigger polished to a high shine, because its current finish is ugly as all get out.

My question is, are there any other gunsmithing services which I should consider having performed while I have this little sweetie in the shop? Assuming, as I said earlier, that this will be a CCW gun.

Thanks, gents!

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a big fan of gunsmithing services on my carry weapons. That being said, after making sure that your weapon is unloaded, twice, dry fire it a few hundred times, working on sight alignment, picture, and all that good stuff. When you are done, you will probably notice that your trigger has smoothed out some.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I'll second the above post. Other than that, things you might want to change are would be cosmetic. Its a nice little carry gun as is. I love mine, and I havent done a thing to it other than beat it up some.

I've often considered having a big dot front sight put on it, but I'm not even sure if it could be done.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've had mine for 15 years. It is stock, and I like it that way.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirate View Post
    My question is, are there any other gunsmithing services which I should consider having performed while I have this little sweetie in the shop?
    Possibly polish the chambers if extraction of empties is the least bit sticky, and chamfer the chamber mouths to aid reloading from a speed loader. When your 'smith tends to the trigger cosmetics, have him polish the face of the trigger and round the edges if the stock gun's trigger seems at all sharp to you. None of these mods affects the gun's basic operation, just the "user interface."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I bought some a-zoom snap caps/dummy rounds and dry fired my 642 around 1000 times over many days. I also practiced drawing/reloading all the time while doing this.

It did absolute wonders when it comes to drawing out of the pocket, sight alignment, trigger control and improved my efficiency of reloading from speed strips vs loaders. I also learned how much capability I gave up compared to having one of my glocks with spare mags on the hip. There is a huge difference when it comes to firepower and capability.

I shot my 642 one time at the range before doing this. I went back to the range and I was amazed at how much I improved from just dry fire practice alone.

It also smoothed out and reduced the trigger pull by a noticeable amount. It is a night and day difference compared to when it was brand new. After shooting it one time I thought the same thing, "I need an action/trigger job". Now, I don't even give it a second thought, it is good to go.

Actually Sixto...I checked into replacement sight for the 442/642...Smith and Wesson tells me, it can be done but would be a lot of custom (expensive) metal work and stuff. Prob more than the gun is worth. that little gun is very nice as is and youwill feel the trigger smooth out, with dry fire. I personally have a 340 M&P I love mine.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I've done a couple of things to work on the horribly heavy factory trigger pull of my 442.

1. Garage job: Remove the main spring and cut off two coils, and put it back in. Worked well. Don't take off more than two coils.

2. Years later, I replaced the two internal springs with aftermarket lighter springs, and it makes a huge difference. I forget the brand of the spring kit, but I found it on the shelf at the local gun store.

cj
    Funny, just went through the exact same thing (except I went with the more compact Crimson Trace grips).

No big other recommendations, except to be sure to specify to the gunsmith that this is a CARRY firearm, and that the trigger pull will still need to be stiff enough to set off primers reliably.

However, the biggest thing they should be able to do is smooth out the trigger pull. Mine was fairly smooth, it was just 14 pounds as yours was. I dropped a Wolff spring in as a replacement and it dropped to a much more manageable 10 or 11 pounds. I may still get it to a smith for some smoothing out, but it's not nearly as vital once I got that 14 pound pull down a few pounds.

Be careful of who is doing the trigger job. The case hardening on the internals is very thin. Over zealous polishing can ruin the hardening.

I know cylinder-slide.com can put XS Big Dot on a 442. $117.75 (includes sight) + test fire fee of $38.00 to set the sights for point of impact. They currently have a 10 month backlog.

I have heard tooltechgunsight.com can do it, but haven't confirmed anything.

Thanks!

You gents are an amazingly generous and knowledgeable group of shooters. I really appreciate all of the great feedback!

I'm going to continue my daily dry-fire practice with this baby through this Friday and see how things progress from there.

I'll post an update when I know more.
    NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    NC Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor

"I am no one to be trifled with." - DPR

Esse quam videri.

DRY FIRE(with snap caps). Due it while watching TV..I'm sure there are plenty of losers to practice your sight picture on! As for those sights...maybe add some paint(orange comes to mind)to help pick up the front blade easier. Other than that..nothing! Good Luck with that Smith !!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Links