Just bought SIG 238!

Just bought SIG 238!

This is a discussion on Just bought SIG 238! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My husband just bought a new SIG 238 and we took it to the range to try it out. All the ammo we had was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought SIG 238!

Unhappy Just bought SIG 238!

My husband just bought a new SIG 238 and we took it to the range to try it out. All the ammo we had was a couple of boxes of Independence .380 (cheapo bought a long time ago). We're hoping its the ammo but the little SIG wouldn't go into full battery after nearly every round. Once every other magazine full, there would also be one round that wasn't struck by the firing pin. Not having a bunch of different .380 brands to try, we aren't passing judgment too soon on the SIG. Its gotten pretty good reports here on digesting different ammo types. The recoil was negligible in this pistol; I remembered shooting his Walther (ouch). This was very pleasant however it does need to go bang reliably before carrying. Any thoughts other than the ammo?

Keep in mind that many guns require a reasonable break-in period, during which time a you can explore various rounds in the search for the "perfect" ammo that matches this specific gun. It's going to have tolerances that the next 238 won't have, exactly, and thus might well have a slightly different break-in period or preference for ammo.

After 500rds, I'd reevaluate. Ensure that you've got a number of magazine that you are cycling through, as well. If through a variety of ammo and magazines you still find you're having troubles with jams, then consider either the magazines or gun as the culprit.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a friend who bought one recently. We took it out and shot at least 100 rounds without any problems. I remember correctly, we were using winchester white box ammo.

I got my P238 in July and love it. I had two extra magazines I bought that were defective and sent them back to Sig and they promptly replaced them and all is OK and working fine. I have used the Remington target rounds and Fonocci and both work fine

I feel your pain. I would call Sig and not email. I've been waiting for an email response since last thursday. I'm going to call them in the morning. Here is the link to my current thread with info

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...y-cricket.html
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

My 238 had no problems with the first 50 rounds of PMC bronze FMJ.

Extra magazines I bought from Top Gun Supply worked flawlessly also. (I can't tell them from the stock mag)

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    My husband just bought a new SIG 238 and we took it to the range to try it out. All the ammo we had was a couple of boxes of Independence .380 (cheapo bought a long time ago). We're hoping its the ammo but the little SIG wouldn't go into full battery after nearly every round. Once every other magazine full, there would also be one round that wasn't struck by the firing pin. This was very pleasant however it does need to go bang reliably before carrying.
    No expert here but after almost 40 yrs. of shooting , I've formed a couple of working theories on guns.

Small handguns (semiauto ) function within a very narrow "envelope"
    defined by caliber , gun-mass, and firing system.

When you add the variables of ammunition and mfg. quality you
    shrink the envelope even more.

Examples - small pistols usually feed fmj ammo better than expanding
    bullets - and blowback pistols without the proper recoil spring will either not function or will quickly self destruct.

Since the P238 is basically a drastically downsized and modified 1911
    I would first get rid of any interior burrs or rough spots - then
    hand cycle and dryfire the pistol A LOT.

I would also use only good quality factory ammo from a major mfg.

If I still had problems after this - I would move on.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I hope that you find the solution to your problem. Many pistols respond well to Sellier & Bellot ammunition. This ammunition maked My Crvena Zastava pistols stand up and perform a tap dance! Perhaps you should look into some Prvi Partizan ammunition form Serbia. These work in most pistols very well. Buying these in bulk can be well worth you while for range ammunition.

Take some time and "break in" the pistol. You'll be glad that you took time to do it right.
    Last edited by gunfan; October 21st, 2009 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks for your responses. We plan to get out and shoot different types/brands of ammo. (When it stops raining here in CO). Haven't given up yet. Just trying to find the .380 on the shelves now....

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    What no pictures?????

Very inept at techno/computer stuff. :/ Its a bi-tone with grey grips, soon to be replaced with the black ones. Got it for $500 at local Ace Hardware in Loveland. Great place, thanks Mike!

Post deleted
    Last edited by gunfan; October 21st, 2009 at 09:09 PM.

VIP Member
    I've seen FTB (fail to batter) when the slide hasn't fully recoiled due to lack of a stiff hold on light weight autos. It then doesn't have the full energy of the recoil spring to slam home. It also is pointing up slightly when it tries to chamber. A dirty chamber or ammo can also produce this. If the extractor hits its barrel notch, pushing it out just before battery, it can interfere with proper closure. If the bolt face to cartridge head friction is too great, due to the angle of the round after it hits the feed ramp, as the head slides up while the bolt face is moing forward, that can slow things down. It could be the magazine's fault.

Check for any interference in the slide to frame rails, and polish. Sling shot the slide repeatedly to help loosen it up. Then put enough rounds downrange to break it in. "Because you're worth it."
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Just an update on the new Sig. We went to the range today after getting ahold of some more .380 ammo. Still won't go into battery with ANY type/brand of ammo. We used Winchester white box, Lawman and Independence FMJ and Fed Hyrashocks. We did slingshot the slide to help loosen it. Haven't located any new magazines yet but looking into contacting Sig. Accuracy is awesome though. :)

VIP Member
    Call SIG and send it back for them to tune it up!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links