What? Does this Glock really exist?

This is a discussion on What? Does this Glock really exist? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was refering back to the Glock website to check caliber/model number since I don't have them memorized yet. If you scroll down just past ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What? Does this Glock really exist?

What? Does this Glock really exist?

I was refering back to the Glock website to check caliber/model number since I don't have them memorized yet.
    If you scroll down just past the .45 ACP's (G21, G30 and G36) you'll see the G25 and G28 in the elusive .380 caliber.

I'd totally forgot about them. Never seen one in the gun shops. And don't recall anyone here mentioning them. The size/weight dimensions are so close to the G26 that I don't see how it could compete against Kel-tec or Kahr. If I'm gonna stick a pound and a half of gun in my pocket, I'll take the 9mm over a .380, obviously.

Do they actually still make them?
    Any insights?
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    IIRC they do not meet the size requirements to be imported and they are not made in the USA.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I heard something similar. I guess to import a firearm you have to get a certain number of "points" on a scale where various things are taken into account such as size, caliber, capacity, weight, specified usage etc.

I don't know for certain how accurate this information is. I also heard that the compact and sub-compact glocks have to have the ribbed trigger which is labeled as a "target style trigger" or something in order to meet such requirements for import. While the larger guns have a smooth face trigger.

Sounds plausible, but I have no evidence other than word of mouth.

Also remember that .380acp was very popular in Europe, actually in many countries the officers don't regularly carry a gun and only specially privileged officers do. Having said that .380 is known as a 9mm short.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Just another example of why I despise politicians and bureaucrats.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Just another example of why I despise politicians and bureaucrats.
    Well, they have to be careful with firearms imports. I think some of the regulations are out of date by today's world standards though. I mean way back when you had communist countries in eastern europe (eastern Germany as well) and I could see being restrictive a bit there. Today that's not really an issue and I think a more open mind with it is a good idea. However, some of the firearms that come out of China and countries such as that could be deemed unsafe in some way. I mean if they have lead paint in children's toys what stops them from using faulty safeties on the firearms they export?

It is also somehwat expensive to import firearms to the US. It's why most manufacturers just build them here. SIG gets the parts from Germany and does the final building here as far as I know.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Well, they have to be careful with firearms imports. I think some of the regulations are out of date by today's world standards though. I mean way back when you had communist countries in eastern europe (eastern Germany as well) and I could see being restrictive a bit there. Today that's not really an issue and I think a more open mind with it is a good idea. However, some of the firearms that come out of China and countries such as that could be deemed unsafe in some way. I mean if they have lead paint in children's toys what stops them from using faulty safeties on the firearms they export?

It is also somehwat expensive to import firearms to the US. It's why most manufacturers just build them here. SIG gets the parts from Germany and does the final building here as far as I know.

Good points, excellent post.

Administrator
    ....and the 380 is the same size as the 9mm; so whats the point in having one anyway?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Those are made for countries that have laws prohibiting civilians from having the same caliber firearms as the military. Most military sidearms worldwide are 9x19 para, so they are only allowed to own non 9x19 para. The 380 (9x17) fits, along with other calibers.

I'm kinda with Sixto on this one...I mean, the G25 is a G19/G23/G32 chambered in .380...why, when you could have it in 9mm/.40/.357Sig? Same with the G28-G26/27/33...doesn't make sense for US shooters.

As I understand it, they're mainly exported to South America, where several countries have .380 as the largest caliber civilians can own (not so much the 9mm being a military round, vs .380...neither is .40 or .357Sig, but those are still prohibited).
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ....and the 380 is the same size as the 9mm; so whats the point in having one anyway?
    no kiddin. lets see... ballistics, price, availability... no im not comin up with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Maybe a collector of some type could find a home for such a gun.
    -Thomas Jefferson

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by paragon1 View Post
    Those are made for countries that have laws prohibiting civilians from having the same caliber firearms as the military. Most military sidearms worldwide are 9x19 para, so they are only allowed to own non 9x19 para. The 380 (9x17) fits, along with other calibers.
    Exactly. Some countries don't allow what they consider military calibers. they are popular in those countries.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The scoring system is known as "factoring criteria for weapons" and is detailed on ATF Form 4590.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Good info

Now may I get a Glock 18 please?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Exactly. Some countries don't allow what they consider military calibers. they are popular in those countries.
    .40 and .357Sig aren't military calibers...it's more of a caliber restriction to .380 and less.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links