Carry piece still not arrived.. question:

This is a discussion on Carry piece still not arrived.. question: within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi fellow gunners, my first post here. I received my CCW recently and am still waiting on my cc gun to arrive at my local ...

Hi fellow gunners, my first post here.
    I received my CCW recently and am still waiting on my cc gun to arrive at my local gun shop in Mebane, NC.
    I ordered a S & W 340 PD back in June and it has still not come in. However, they have a 340 M&P with Crimson Trace they are willing to make an even swap since I have waited so long. I'm not sure if I want to do this. I have some questions about the Crimson Trace laser sight.

Any overall opions are greatly appreciated but these are my initial concerns..
    battery life
    accuracy of laser
    bulkiness
    finding a holster for it

If you have experience with these two guns and can address my concerns I would be very grateful. Thanks!
    Thomis from NC

JD
    Administrator
    Take it run, if you don't like the laser, sell it (the laser grips, not the gun) and replace the grips with whatever you want.

Battery life depends on use. If you're right handed, holster fit shouldn't be an issue.

There's very little extra bulk, it's about the same size as other rubberish grips.

The accuracy depends on you. If your trigger control is good, and you know how to shoot a snub, you'll be fine. If you've never shot a snub before, don't even turn the laser on at the range and learn how to run the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by thomis View Post
    I received my CCW recently and am still waiting on my cc gun to arrive at my local gun shop in Mebane, NC.
    I ordered a S & W 340 PD back in June and it has still not come in. However, they have a 340 M&P with Crimson Trace they are willing to make an even swap since I have waited so long. I'm not sure if I want to do this. I have some questions about the Crimson Trace laser sight.

battery life
    accuracy of laser
    bulkiness
    finding a holster for it

If you have experience with these two guns and can address my concerns I would be very grateful. Thanks!
    Thomis from NC
    Make the swap!!!! The 340 M&P is a gem of a gun and I love mine. I don't have the laser sight grips on mine so I can't speak to your concerns regarding them, but if you don't like them you can always replace them.
    as for holsters, it depends on how you want to carry. there are a bunch of really good pocket and IWB holsters out there to choose from. It just depends on how you want to carry and how much money you want to spend on a holster.

I have the M&P and the only difference is 2 oz due to the titanium cylinder on the PD. Plus the M&P comes with the Big Dot Tritium front sight. My friend has the PD and it is not different enough to know it. Plus I like the Steel cylinder a little better. Just dont shoot under 110 grain in Magnum loadings. They say it will erode the cylinder. It is an excellent carry piece. GO FOR IT!!!
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

make the trade, the M&P is a good handgun. crimson grips are very nice. I have 3 sets of them on different guns that I own. they have a wind and elevation adjustment so you can sight them in at any distance and yes they work awesome.

It depends upon what you REALLY want...if you can live with the offer...then, take it...I would!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would take it....they are giving you the lazer!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

DO IT! I love my CTs.
    GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Do it! I have a M&P without the CT
    SCGunLover1

Definitely take the trade. Excellent revolver and free laser. That's like 200 bucks in your pocket.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

I have some questions about the Crimson Trace laser sight.

Any overall opinions are greatly appreciated but these are my initial concerns..
    battery life
    accuracy of laser
    bulkiness
    finding a holster for it

Thomis from NC
    Welcome to the forum! Revolvers aren't my forte really. The CT lasergrips? I may look into this for my wife's upcoming G26 actually. Not bulky at all...battery life? If you buy one new, CT will supply you the batteries for free as long as you own it. Battery life? Not sure, but it has to be a very long run time. Finding a holster for a pistol with CT lasergrip shouldn't be a problem for most since the thing basically is all on the grip which should be mostly exposed with any carry method. IMO, I think you ought to take the deal.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    battery life
    accuracy of laser
    bulkiness
    finding a holster for it

yes take the trade its in your favor and CT laser grips are an outstanding addition to this gun, and there is no issues with finding a holster, and battery life is good if you are not playing around with the handgun all the time. The laser is very easy to sight in and very well made.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Links