Can't use .380 as BUG--any tiny 9mm suggestions?

This is a discussion on Can't use .380 as BUG--any tiny 9mm suggestions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W M&P Compact .45 as my primary carry but VA DCJS won't let me qualify with a .380 for my BUG . ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't use .380 as BUG--any tiny 9mm suggestions?

I have a S&W M&P Compact .45 as my primary carry but VA DCJS won't let me qualify with a .380 for my BUG . 9mm is OK however. I've played around with a LCP and really like it. I'm also getting one for personal use/pocket carry when I am not on duty (Bail Bondsman) but I need a duty BUG that I can pocket carry as easily as a LCP.

What do you guys suggest in the semi-auto 9mm arena?

Ape
    Kel Tec PF-9. Lightest and smallest 9mm out there last time I checked.

Kahr PM9 would be my suggestion... Good luck
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Kahr PM9, for autoloader. Very nice....then If you like the simplicity of a revolver, the S&W 340, .357/38.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

EdC
    How big are your pockets? Seriously, though, the Kel Tec P11 is pretty small for a 9mm, but compared to the LCP or Kel Tec P3AT, it's a bit larger.

I can pocket carry my Walther PPS, and have, on occasion, but not as a BUG, just as a matter of convenience. I don't recommend it, unless you're a pretty big person.

From my own personal experience, and research, I would tread carefully with the tiny 9mm auto pistols. The 9mm is a high pressure round, and as the pistols get smaller and lighter, tolerances get tighter, and reliability tends to get iffy.

Do some research on the Kahr PM9, Kel tec PF9, and Rohrbaugh R9 - see for yourself. Mixed reviews.

Will they let you use a .38 Spl or .357 Mag revolver?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm about to make another gun buy and want whatever I buy to be pocket-able. I doubt that anything is as pocket-able as the LCP. I've just about decided to go with the Kahr PM9. It's the same size as the Sig P238 which was one of my other choices. I also have an xd9sc so it'd help if I stayed with the same caliber. Check out the specs below.

The Kahr PM9 is 5.3(length) X 4.0(height) X .9(width) and 15 oz.
    The Sig P238 is 5.5 X 3.9 X 1.1 and also 15 oz.

I had not realized that the PM9 was the same size as the Sig. When I saw those specs I figured "Why go with a .380 when I can have a 9mm in the same dimensions?" I tested one in my pocket with a DeSantis holster a few days ago and it fit fine.
    I've also been told that the Kahr PM9's recoil is 25-30% LESS than that of the Kel Tec PF9, which I had and quickly got rid of.
    The only drawback is that Kahr's ain't cheap, but the father of a friend is a dealer and will sell to me at his cost so I hope to save quite a few bucks.

Also, if dry firing correlates to real fire, the Kahr trigger is worlds better than the Kel Tec PF9. MUCH smoother.

I have a Rohrbaugh R9S and carry it more often than my Glock 26 or 36. It works well IWB in a High Noon Mr. Softy or pocket carried in a Galco holster. A spare mag is easily concealed in a pocket.

Is it fun to shoot? Nope. Does it have any external safeties or even a slide lock? Nope. Are the magazines easy to change under duress? Nope. Can you shoot 1000 rounds through it without cleaning or maintanence? Nope. Will it eat everything you feed it? Nope.

Will it hold seven in the gun, six in a spare magazine and give double strike capability of the round doesn't discharge? Yes, yes it will. Does it have a perfectly smooth (if long) trigger pull? Yes, yes it does.

Don't worry about all the hype from people who've never shot or owned one. Yes, it's expensive - but you need to compare it to other low volume guns. It's far less than a custom .45 from a boutique maker.

Yes, you need to change recoil springs every 250 rounds. The gun uses Wolff springs, but the sheer physics behind firing a 9mm round from a platform that small destroys springs. They aren't expensive, and you need to remove the recoil spring to clean the gun, so what's the big deal?

As for ammo, stick to Winchester White Box for range duty and carry Speer Gold Dots and you'll be fine.

Kel Tec PF-9. By the way, I don't believe there is a 9mm you can pocket carry as EASILY as an LCP.
    Glock 22, Glock 23, S&W SW40VE, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

Quote Originally Posted by jreXD9 View Post
    I doubt that anything is as pocket-able as the LCP.
    What about the LCR? - which would lead back to the question of being allowed to use a 38-special.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    If a .38 is allowed, you might consider an S&W 442 or 642.
    Proud NRA member

I like the Kel tec PF9. It kicks a bit and its no fun to shoot, but it's not a range gun anyway. Stricktly self defense. It carries nicely and conseals very well. With a good holster you don't even know its there.
    Attached Images
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

My Kel Tec P3AT took the place of my Kel Tec PF9 for pocket carry. A matter of size and concealment and high quality HP ammo for the 380acp. PF9 and P3AT both shoot point of aim and both go band every time and both are very concealable. If I feel the need I will move back to the PF9. P3AT extra mag is much more concealable and you only loose 2 rounds of ammo with the 380.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrockwell View Post
    I have a S&W M&P Compact .45 as my primary carry but VA DCJS won't let me qualify with a .380 for my BUG . 9mm is OK however. I've played around with a LCP and really like it. I'm also getting one for personal use/pocket carry when I am not on duty (Bail Bondsman) but I need a duty BUG that I can pocket carry as easily as a LCP.

What do you guys suggest in the semi-auto 9mm arena?

Because your stuck at 9mm(Not a bad thing IMO) I would
    say the PF9 .
    Why?
    Because you can spend $600-$700 on a Kahr PM9 on
    about $300 on a pf 9 and they have about the same
    amount of customer satisfaction rating.
    That not hard math, is it?
    The Kahr owners scream about how much better the quality
    is on Kahrs but numbers tell a different story.
    Let the flaming begin.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

A Glock-26...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links