442 at the range!

442 at the range!

This is a discussion on 442 at the range! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been spending some time with my 442 at the range. I have about 200 rounds through it now and cannot believe the accuracy at ...

442 at the range!

I've been spending some time with my 442 at the range. I have about 200 rounds through it now and cannot believe the accuracy at self defense distances (15-21 feet). I am shooting 1-1.5" groups slow fire, and rapid fire groups are always under 4". These are amazing groupings for me, even at these close distances. I normally wouldn't shoot that well with my P228 or Kimber.

My question here is why? Why am I able to shoot this short barreled gun better than my others? Is it poor trigger control with the Sig and Kimber? Can the longer DA pull of the 442 be helping my technique?

Now I'm thinking I should try out some longer barreled, bigger caliber revolvers and see how I manage with those.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Not knowing a lot about how you shoot, I'd guess that if your 442 DA pull is on the light side, the long and light pull keeps you applying consistent backwards pressure and not jerking.

On an autoloader, a heavier DA pull might cause you to yank, and shorter SA pulls might have you slapping the trigger to go to fast.

What I think this probably shows you is that you can have good trigger control and excellent results; you probably just need to dry fire with those other guns to get there. The 442 would seem to fit your 'default' shooting style, but that doesn't mean you can't practice to the point of getting the same results with another.

If your SIG is a DAO or DAK with a long, relatively light pull, then I am at a loss, because that ought to be fairly close to your 442 trigger. Maybe you should try a DAO or DAK SIG to see if you adjust to that more quickly, though.

Good luck!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Because---You Da Man!

It took me some time to get used to my 442. Actually, first trip out it was not pretty, but with time and practice it got better. Congrats. It is an excellent conceal carry option.

VIP Member
    No answers for you... but I know that I shoot revolvers better than autos... not a big difference, but it's noticeable and my 642 is one of my most accurate wheel guns...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

The from-the-factory 442 is notorious for its heavy trigger pull. Maybe that is making you concentrate more on a steady squeeze and sight alignment. With my 442, I'm either on or off, depending on the day. When I'm on, I'm good. When off, I'm awful with it. I think it has more to do with how I'm concentrating...

Average accuracy certification is required for all handguns sold in the U.S with barrel length shorter than 3 inches.
    Stevew

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    What I think this probably shows you is that you can have good trigger control and excellent results; you probably just need to dry fire with those other guns to get there.
    Good point. I have been dry firing the 442 to get the trigger smoothed out a little. They tend to be kind of rough when new. This may have helped my trigger control and allowed for some better shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Average accuracy certification is required for all handguns sold in the U.S with barrel length shorter than 3 inches.
    Stevew
    Does this mean that the gun itself needs to be manufactured to be as accurate as the others even if the barrel is shorter? So, any inaccuracy is from the shooter, not the handgun?

Links