Looking for night sights

This is a discussion on Looking for night sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a xdm .40 and am looking for a great set of night sights. I am looking at tritium but was wondering what else ...

Thread: Looking for night sights

Looking for night sights

I have a xdm .40 and am looking for a great set of night sights. I am looking at tritium but was wondering what else is out there. I have heard both positive and negitive about tritium and just want to cover all my bases. If ya'll could let me know that would be great.
    Thomas Jefferson - “To George Washington, 1796: One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”

2. Remove Ads

I really like the plain ole' Trijicons on all my Glocks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The trijicons are hard to beat. Meprolights are also very popular. Maybe look at Novak Lo-mounts. If they are available.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Tritium is the only night sight. It's the only material used on sights that glow without any outside light sources. They gradually dim over years of service, but they usually have a 10-12 year warranty.

Now for brand, there's many. Trijicon, Meprolight, Heinie, Novak, Tru-GLO. I use the Glock branded sights on my Glocks which I believe are made by Trijicon anyway. I have Trijicons on my Dan Wesson 1911. My HK P30 has Heinie Straight Eights. I like Trijicon really. A lot of people seem to like Tru-GLO because it's a fiber optic high visibility sight during the day and has a tritium vial inside for night and low light.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Tritium is the stuff that makes sights glow. TFOs have both tritium and fiber optics, so they they stand out night and day. Here's something that may help you decide:

Meprolight sights are rugged, well-made, low profile combat sights with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers are embedded in polished epoxy for easy cleaning and to resist solvents and grime. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken to avoid harsh solvents when cleaning, as the white o-rings are painted on.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as blue or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic--like TrueGlo TFOs. Any of the premium brands--ie., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I like the tritium insert sights. I'm going all Meprolights now...I think they are better than Trijicons in a couple of aspects, but I do have both brands on my Glocks. I'm curious to know the negatives you've heard about the tritiums.
    I have heard both positive and negitive about tritium and just want to cover all my bases.

VIP Member
    I put Trijicon on all my weapons and lately I've found that yellow rear with green front allow me to quickly pick up that front sight.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have used both Meprolights and Trijicon's and perceive the Meprolights to seem smaller but brighter than the Trijicon's. I looked into the True-glo's but I worry about the fiber optics getting banged up when I need them most. I did break the tension pin in the Novak style Trijicon rear sight post. I called the factory and they sent me a replacement free, excellent customer service.

My shooting buddy has tried various other options to include flourescent paint, gold bead, and non-tritium fiber-optics. He's a faster and better shot than me in daylight, but the worse the light conditions the better I am in comparison to him.

I do worry about the lamps fading over time (as the tritium decays) and I wish I could get a bigger brighter front sight.

I just read that the Glock Factory night sights use meprolight tubes. ANyway i prefer trigicon tubes because they use a sapphire lens which makes it a more defined dot vs the "orb" that meprolights put out. However, I will say Meprolight sights have a better white dot around the vial which helps at the range although I use my sights as iron sights more or less in daylight and well lit conditions.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I like the Ameriglo Pro Operators myself.

anyone using XS big dots or some other variation of the same? They are catching my eye... sorry for the bad pun.

I love my Trijicon night sights on my G23. I originally wasn't all that interested in having them on the gun, but when i went to buy he was sold out of the stock 23's. Gave me a hell of a deal on one with the Trijicon's already installed.
    Now, i can't imagine not having them. Nice to look over at the nightstand and know exactly where the gun is...even in the pitch black.

The TFO's are the very best sights I have found. Check them out!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Links