Held a Colt Defender today

This is a discussion on Held a Colt Defender today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stopped by my local gun store to pick some ammo for my 9mm and .45 and they had on in the case. I have had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Held a Colt Defender today

Held a Colt Defender today

Stopped by my local gun store to pick some ammo for my 9mm and .45 and they had on in the case. I have had the urge to switch over to a compact .45 recently and the colt defender is one that is on my research list.

I was amazed at how light it was. It was quite possibly the most comfortable pistol I had ever held. Also at $839.00 it's on lower end for sub compact light weight 1911's. Would have walked out the door with it today but with christmas coming up I decided against it. However I think it has definetly moved to the top of my "to buy" list.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have one in 40. It is a great little pistol.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I think that pistol is extremely comfortable. I have never shot it, but have drooled over it many times in the store. I find the beaver tail really "grips" the top of my hand and makes me feel more connected to the gun. I think with some front strap checkering, that would be a very sweet 1911.

I can see why it's at the top of your 'buy list'...pretty slick.
    Colt Defender Compact 45 SS Model O7000D
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I can see why it's at the top of your 'buy list'...pretty slick.
    Colt Defender Compact 45 SS Model O7000D
    So, I keep going through this scenario, I LOVE 45's......so I either want a Glock 36, or a small 1911 like a defender...and I love what I have read about the defender....but the 1911 platform is not what I am used to for "carry", as I am used to DAO, like Glocks and Kahrs...and LCP's....so do I go with the Defender or similar or go with a G36??????
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

rollo, someone needs to be the voice of reason here, and I will......

BUY IT NOW!!!

Beg, borrow, steal, or be more pragmatic for Christmas.

They are very nice guns.

Sorry..........

Jamie

I have one. 100% reliable. Shoots like a dream. Watch the recall though, might need a new guide rod assembly.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    So, I keep going through this scenario, I LOVE 45's......so I either want a Glock 36, or a small 1911 like a defender...and I love what I have read about the defender....but the 1911 platform is not what I am used to for "carry", as I am used to DAO, like Glocks and Kahrs...and LCP's....so do I go with the Defender or similar or go with a G36??????
    Look into the Taurus PT145. It's shorter than the Defender and holds 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP. It also has a manual thumb safety, but of course, using it is optional.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I use a colt defender for personel carry. It is deffinatly my favorite carry piece. Compact, lightweight and I shoot it well. If you get one you will be very happy with it.

I had a defender, I had nothing but problems with it!! sent it back to colt 3 times!! and they could not fix it!! I had FF, FE!! but the big problem was when i was getting in some trigger time the guild rod and spring flue out of the gun!! after that i sold it!! i was shooting FMJ 230 GR. So i dont know.... maybe i got a lemon...

VIP Member
    Just for the money, that is a pretty good deal. It may not be there after Christmas, but I certainly understand priorities. I don't own an Officer's, but I do have a Commander. I can say that I trust it with my life.

I also own GLOCKs and love them, but for CC, you just can't beat the Colt. Thin but powerful. The G36 is a nice gun also, but for me it is too small, as are the rest of the GLOCK sub-compacts. Don't let the operation of a 1911 deter you. They are almost instinctive in function, and I am just as fast in presentation with my Colt as am with my G21.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Look into the Taurus PT145. It's shorter than the Defender and holds 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP. It also has a manual thumb safety, but of course, using it is optional.
    No second tier handguns for me......get the little Colt.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I have a Defender and have ZERO problems with it. I liked the rubber grips that came with it, but they seem to cling to my clothes, so I switched to a nice wood grip.

It shoots good too. No regrets on my purchasing one.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My only concern with the defender (or any other sub compact .45) is the recoil. It's not so much that I find the recoil uncomfortable but I'm afraid of not bering able to put multiple rounds on target. I think i'm going to try to find someone around here with a sub commpact lightweight 1911 and see if I can run a few rmags through it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have the Springfield version. It shoots flawlessly, great ergo's, and the recoil is about the same as a full size 45. It came with factory night sights. This was my EDC until I acquired my 3913.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links