Do These Two Guns Sound Good ?

This is a discussion on Do These Two Guns Sound Good ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After scoping out the situation with ammo these days, it seems to me that 38sp+p rounds are not only hard to come by but high ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do These Two Guns Sound Good ?

Do These Two Guns Sound Good ?

After scoping out the situation with ammo these days, it seems to me that 38sp+p rounds are not only hard to come by but high priced !
    Because of this, I am semi-abanondoning my ideas of lots of shooting and going back to the reason I got back into the gun shopping in the first place. home/personal protection minimums.

Today I only have one gun, a taurus ultralight that I haven't shot in a while. For home protection it's inadequate because I have an upstairs and a downstairs, and I have to move the gun around all the time. ( My wife doesn't want to see it, doesn't like guns ).

So what I'm thinking now is to buy 2 more guns, keep one upstairs in the nightstand, one downstairs in the kitchen upper cabinet that I can reach pretty quickly and one in the car that I can also stick in a pocket if I feel the need.

Of course I am going to spend some time shooting them to at least build a bit of confidence/skill that I can hit what I aim at within 5-7 yards, but knowing me, unless I start to get into it more, I will then only go to the range once or twice a year.

I do know I will probably get some advice now about qualifying myself more, and I'd like to believe me, but time and $$$ make it less of an attractive choice to me.
    Hopefully I will eventually take a carry course or two, and maybe find a comfortable way to carry on my person more regularly, but for right now my thinking is to just make a weapon more available most of the time.

My real question is, I am thinking of complimenting my taurus with 2 ruger lcr's. They seem to be the cheapest option that's also got reliability behind them. I hear a lot of chatter about Taurus being hit or miss in reliability, and about the locking issues on the Smith's.

The other choices would have been a 637 or 642 and some taurus UL series.

Any thoughts/comments about the gun selection for the 1 extra house gun and 1 car/carry gun would be appreciated, before I finally go to gunbroker and spend my $$.

Thanks,
    floyd

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Taurus seems to be hit or miss alright. The LCR is still fairly new, and after the LCP issues I would hesitate to purchase 2 at this time. Consider small safes mounted if you plan on keeping guns laying around. Even without kids ,you are leaving potential weapons for others to find and use. Finally on body carry will be the handiest if you ever need to use a gun for defense.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Look for a brace of Model 10's.....they're reliable, take 38 (+P depending on when made) and probably found for about $200 each.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I would love to find a S/W model 10 for under $200.00. That was my first "quality" handgun I bought. I would love to purchase another handgun of the same caliber. As I'm composing this message I can recall the serial number from memory!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

The Model 10 is exactly what youare describing and much more proven reliable system.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

First let me welcome a fellow Virginian to the forum.

Any of the Smith's revolvers are a good choice's, but I chose the .357. I can shoot both .38 and .357. This gives you a few more options.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate it. And thanks for the welcome Rob. ( some people say Northern Va is not really Va ), but I'm not that far from the real Virginia. I used to live in Fauquier county. :-)

The model 10 is cool but not what I'm thinking about. It's got a lock for one, unless I buy used. Not sure about buying a used gun sight unseen.

I was starting out thinking of 357 but now, due to $$ mainly, and the fact that I would most likely practice only with 38sp, I don't see the point. I feel that a good jhp 38sp will suit for the kind of situations I would find myself in. I may be wrong, and I hope I never find out.

does it have to be a Taurus?

if not i would get a used smith and wesson, just like what varob said. above this post!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard from the Richmond area.

Generally speaking the problems with Taurus are not with their revolvers, but their semi auto's.

So what I'm thinking now is to buy 2 more guns, keep one upstairs in the nightstand, one downstairs in the kitchen upper cabinet that I can reach pretty quickly and one in the car that I can also stick in a pocket if I feel the need.
    As to your idea of a car/carry gun. Since you do not have a conceal carry permit, forget about something to "stick in your pocket" (your words). Find yourself a good OWB holster and something like the Ruger SP-101 to Open Carry.

Remember this is your life your talking about. Spend the time and money to make sure your proficient with your weapon and read, then re-read the laws pertaining to carrying in Virginia.

I agree with some of the other posters that a larger 4" K-frame 6 shot would be perfect HD guns. Or you can get into full size semi autos for $350 like S&W 9 or 40VE, Stoeger Cougar, Ruger P89 and several more fit the bill.

My wife's HD gun is an old Model 15-4 4" with a great trigger and she shoots well and picked it up for $220 ~3 years ago.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Get 1 revolver in a .357 and spend some money on a good holster so you can have it where you are. The .357 will shoot .38, .38 +P, and .357 so ammo choices are readily available.

Taurus is a good choice in my book as is a S&W.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

+1 on the SP101... but it's also great for cc and is a joy to shoot.

I may get flamed for this but, don't rule out the shotgun for home defense. I have a 870 express with a 20" barrel that when loaded with 00 buck is (in my opinion) the ultimate home defense weapon. Bad guys will literally crap their pants when you chamber a round.
    Aim Small - Miss Small

Thanks for the welcome. :-)

I do have a carry permit. Had it for 5 years now, just never really carry, except in the car.
    Yea I haven't had any problems with my Taurus UL yet, probably only shot a couple hundred rounds out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Welcome aboard from the Richmond area.

Generally speaking the problems with Taurus are not with their revolvers, but their semi auto's.

As to your idea of a car/carry gun. Since you do not have a conceal carry permit, forget about something to "stick in your pocket" (your words). Find yourself a good OWB holster and something like the Ruger SP-101 to Open Carry.

Remember this is your life your talking about. Spend the time and money to make sure your proficient with your weapon and read, then re-read the laws pertaining to carrying in Virginia.

I'd love to have a shotgun on each floor in the house. Unfortunately the first person that would be shot with it would be me for bringing such a "big gun" home.
    As long as I can keep weapons out of sight where she feels nobody can get to them ( except me ), then I'm ok.

Quote Originally Posted by edthefox View Post
    +1 on the SP101... but it's also great for cc and is a joy to shoot.

I may get flamed for this but, don't rule out the shotgun for home defense. I have a 870 express with a 20" barrel that when loaded with 00 buck is (in my opinion) the ultimate home defense weapon. Bad guys will literally crap their pants when you chamber a round.

That may be better, I can get a NIB sp101 for just a little bit more than a NIB 642. $429 and $400 respectively, on gunbroker. That may be the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    Get 1 revolver in a .357 and spend some money on a good holster so you can have it where you are. The .357 will shoot .38, .38 +P, and .357 so ammo choices are readily available.

Taurus is a good choice in my book as is a S&W.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links