Finally got the new Kahr K9!!

This is a discussion on Finally got the new Kahr K9!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I finally made the move. I had a Colt New Agent .45 and LOVED it except I simply couldn't shoot it well. The recoil ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got the new Kahr K9!!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Well I finally made the move. I had a Colt New Agent .45 and LOVED it except I simply couldn't shoot it well. The recoil was stout for me and I wasn't consistent with it, nor could I do any kind of double taps worth a hoot. I even put it up for sale on this site but I LOVED how it carried, how it looked, etc. I was totally torn. Anyway, the New Agents were recalled so I sent it back under the recall. when I got it back I ran through almost 300 rounds trying to get used to the recoil and to get proficient with the weapon. Well I just can't shoot it as effectively as I'd like to be for one of my carry guns. I was going to keep it for range but you'll recall the Colt New Agent only has the trench sight and the officer's grip is rough on my hands. So I sold it even though it make me sick to do it. I got a good price for it along with an old .380 so I was able to buy a new Kahr K9 with night sights for what I got for it so I did okay. Despite missing a 1911 like crazy, I love the K9.

Here's what I noticed about the gun:

WEIGHT: You hear a lot about the weight of the K9. It ways the same as most lightweight compact .45 1911's. It's the weight that makes it so shootable. I also have a Kahr MK9. If "feels" heavier because it's a more compact weapon which concentrates the weight and makes it seem heavier. The K9 feels better even though it's a bit heavier. Double taps are actually fun!

FIT & FINISH: Once in a while you catch a break. Although mine is the standard K9, it came with the same frame you'd find on the Elite models. I know this because the edges have been softened and the mag well has been beveled. I was surprised and compared it to my MK9 and sure enough it's really beveled. It also has the laser etching on the frame. Anyone with a stainless regular Kahr knows how sloppy the engraving of the caliber and such is but on mine it's perfect! Unfortunately it didn't come with the Elite trigger but the trigger on this car is smooth as glass and is just the best DAO trigger I've ever owned. It's all satin finish and just beautiful.

GRIP; The soft rubber grip makes for the best grip I've ever put my hands on for a pistol. On an officers framed 1911 the butt sticks me and the way the back strap is wears on my hand but this gun fits GREAT. I've heard some people feel the rubber grips cloths and prints. So far I haven't noticed this but I'll likely get the wood grips anyway for carry.

CARRY; Well it's so thin and compact that it conceals very easily. I'm carrying it in an IWB from UBG on a AJ Concealaco gun belt and it's a pure pleasure to strap on. It's the holster I already had for my P9 which is old and has never missed a beat.

RELIABILITY: This is my third Kahr (P9 & MK9 first) and they've all been perfectly perfect with any and all ammo. This gun was no exception. I shot a 100 rounds of Winchester White Box and then another 100+ rounds of assorted hollow points to include Remington UMC, WWB, Georgia Arms, and Federal Hydra Shock. It never missed a beat and was a pleasure.

ACCURACY: Outstanding and to use the old cliche better than me! I really can't imagine having a shorter or lighter trigger. The sight's are good. I could easily keep my groups at 2" or better from 7 - 10 yards and when I just went fast I was still all around 3 - 4" with a flier at 5".

LOOKS: Well, I love it!

Now all of my carry weapons are DAO be it revolvers or Autos. I miss my 1911 and would like to get a commander or full size 1911 in .45 someday. The larger grip is more comfortable in my hand because it extends below my palm and the extra weight helps with recoil. But if you're looking for a very concealable, reliable, shootable, 9mm, I can whole heartedly recommend the Kahr K9. The only modification I plan is 30lpi checkering on the front strap.
    Attached Images

Congrats on the new Kahr. I know very little of them except they seem pricey, but I'd like to get one some day. Thanks for the review.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Beautiful, fine pistol, congrats.

Unfortunately it didn't come with the Elite trigger but the trigger on this car is smooth as glass and is just the best DAO trigger I've ever owned.
    All Kahrs have the "elite" trigger as standard since 2003 except for the NYPD special order K9.

The soft rubber grip makes for the best grip I've ever put my hands on for a pistol.
    I agree. I wish I could get the same grips for my T9... (Hint, hint).
    Last edited by ripley16; October 23rd, 2009 at 11:39 PM.

Fine gun...

Good choice on the Kahr K9. The steel Kahrs are well made and easy to shoot. For belt carry the weight is a non issue - about the same as most Glocks and less than aluminum framed 1911s or Sigs. But the K9 is slimmer and more compact than these, and easier to conceal IWB.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Congrats! Kahr's are great. I've got a CW9 and it's been nothing but reliable.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Congratulations on your new pistol. Good luck, and safe shooting!

Congrats on the new Kahr. Sharp pistol and a top shelf SD pistol. I love the DAO trigger on the Kahrs, so smooth and crisp. One of the best out there IMO.

I have the CW9 and it's worth every penny I paid for it! Never had a malfunction of any kind. I can only imagine how the K9 shoots, but I'm sure it's a pure pleasure. I'll buy another one or two.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Congrats on the new pistola!

Stay armed...enjoy the Kahr...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a PM9 and it acompanies me most of the time...fantastic gun and I wish you luck, not that you will need it! Enjoy!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Congrats on the K9 - I know it took you a while to snag one. I also picked up one w/o DLC but with night sights about 6 weeks ago. These guns are scary accurate and feel like they feed better than their polymer counterparts out of the box.

The only negative in my opinion is that it's a little taller than I remembered (bought mine from Gunbroker after holding one once in a gun shop a few months back). Granted it's smaller in every dimension than my Glock 19, but it's nearly the same height as the magazine bottom plate adds a little length. The rubber grips, despite feeling great, also add more thickness than I expected. I'm just nit-picking really, as the K9 is much more comfortable in a smaller hand than the G19.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but overall I'm very impressed with it and have carried it a few times. It would be nice if Kahr made an all stainless .45 with similiar dimensions to the K9 - would be sort of an idiot-proof 1911.
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

I've been thinking of getting the K9 to keep the MK9 company.

Is it possible to change out the magazine base pad to a flush, flat one?

RMS
    Congratulations on your new gun and enjoy.

First the mag question: I tried switching the base plates between an MK9 flush fit mag and the standard K9 mag and you can switch them, HOWEVER, the K9 mag extends lower so with the MK9 base plate on it, it still extends a good quarter inch and isn't truly flush so it doesn't work.

As for an all steel .45 I couldn't agree more and I've written to Kahr many times asking them to consider making a Kahr K45. I believe it they did it would become one of their best sellers!!

Now I did finally realize that the Kahr I bought does have the NYPD trigger which is actually a longer pull, However, it's a very minor deal and I guess it's a trade off since I got the beveled mag well and laser etching on the frame.

I love how the gun feels and shoots and will definitely get the frame checkered at 30 lpi. Not because it needs it as much as I love the positive grip checkering makes. Problem with checkering a Kahr is that few people do it!! Of course Cylinder and Slide does but they have a 10 month waiting list and charge $210. I've only found one other place and they charge $200.

Still this will likely be my EDC for the rest of my life. I'll switch back and forth between my P9, MK9, and now the K9 as my needs dictate but essentially it's like the same gun. It's funny how the MK9 seems heavier because it's so compact.

for me the Kahrs' I've owned have all been abolutely reliable unlike the 1911's I've owned, still I love the 1911 format and would love to have an EMP but they're running $1,300 now which seems crazy. Then I'd have to pay to get the ambi changed to a single sided and to get the front strap checkered and you're up to a clean $1,500 or more which is just too much money for me! If I was well off, the kids were all grown, maybe but can't imagine that.

plus I like how my revolver and auto line up all have very similar trigger pulls; at least they're all DAO, so now the line up is

Ruger SP101 3", S&W 642, S&W 640-1, MK9, P9 and K9. This is now the core of my carry.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisFred View Post
    I've been thinking of getting the K9 to keep the MK9 company.

Is it possible to change out the magazine base pad to a flush, flat one?
    Gideon is right on about the mag base not being the problem - I mistakenly blamed them for adding length in my post - the mag itself extends past the grip a tad.

I think my post came off a little too negative - don't want to scare anyone away from this model - I really like my K9 and Gideon is obviously very happy with his. Yesterday at the range, I was able to run it shooting one-handed both weak and strong side without any hassle.

Question about the NYPD trigger - does it feel that much different than the Elite? The trigger on my K9 isn't an NYPD, as it has a similar length to the one on my PM9 - only the K9 has more pre-travel and feels slightly lighter in weight.
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

The NYPD trigger confused me at first (not hard to do ). All Kahr's ship with the regular or "elite" trigger. All of them, that is, unless they're speced with the NYPD trigger which is 1/2" of trigger pull length versus the standar 3/8". It'll say on the box if it's the NYPD trigger and I guess that's something they made for them.

I do notice the longer pull and wish I had the same trigger as my MK9 and P9 but it's a very minor difference. My trigger is just as smooth and light as the others. You can pay kahr to get the elite trigger installed in a gun with the NYPD speced trigger but it's $150 and for the minor difference that seems like too much.

Double taps on any of the kahr guns is where you notice the DAO trigger as compared to double taps with any single action gun like a 1911. When I had my Colt 3" 1911, I actually did some double taps by accident because the trigger was so light and the reset so short. I loved the singe action for how great it felt but it was too light and sensitive for me. The Kahr's are ideal once you practice the double taps.

If I stumble across some extra cash here or there I may get the elite trigger but for now I'm just focused on the 30lpi checkering of the front strap and perhaps getting checkering on the front of the trigger guard as I always put one finger up there.

I belive the Kahr guns are simply some of the very best concealed carry weapons on the market today. I think everyone just repeats the notion that the polymers are less reliable than the all steel guns. that may have been true early on but my guess is that it's not nearly as true as how often that statement is repeated on the web!

I think the CW line of 9's are outstanding values but the P9 is a fantastic weapon. The only thing I have against any of my Kahrs is that the MK9 is so compact that all of the weight is concentrated in one small spot which makes it feel heavier. My K9 carry's much better as far as how the weight goes but if you need something to really disappear for IWB carry, I don't think you can do better than an MK9 and the MK9 is just about as shootable as the K9 because of the weight!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links