Defensive Carry banner

Colt Cobra .38sp

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  secamp32 
#1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a used Colt Cobra .38. The only thing is, is that the hammer spring is broke. A local gunsmith said that they could fix it for between $30-$50. The bluing needs some work too. The asking price for the gun is $175.

What do you all think?

I have the serial number if that would help.

#3 ·
I really could not tell ya. I don't collect and don't know if that pistol is collectable. I just have a problem paying for a pistol that is already broken. I mean it is not like you found 69 Road Runner in a barn and an old lady wanted to get rid of it. Well, good luck because you could take the money you are spending on the colt and buy a nice used revolver. Just my 2cents

#5 ·
Buy the Cobra, then buy a hammer spring from Numrich or Brownells. It's a simple installation. Your gunsmith is a bit over-priced.

#11 ·
IMHO, the Colt Cobra is just about the prettiest snubbie there ever was. Especially with the Blueing that makes it look like it literally has depth. What about the rest of the gun? Forcing cone showing a lot of wear? Bore condition? If that stuff is only so-so, I'd take a pass. But if that stuff is good, I'd go for it and send the thing to Cylinder & Slide who can durn near fix anything. Might be really pricey or maybe not. But it'd sure be your money's worth!

#14 ·
I absolutely love my Colt Cobra, but I purchased it from a good friend, and so I knew it to be reliable and in proper working order. Buying a used revolver can be a scary thing, so I try to avoid it.

Here is a very good checklist of things to look over while you're examining a used revolver. Since it's broken to begin with, I'm with the others in that you should probably skip it since you can't really check it. :frown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.