1911 question...

1911 question...

This is a discussion on 1911 question... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Could someone please tell me the pros/cons between a 1911 with bushing and one that is bushingless. Is one style better than the other? Thanks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1911 question...

Could someone please tell me the pros/cons between a 1911 with bushing and one that is bushingless. Is one style better than the other?
    Thanks in advance!

VIP Member
    I have two without bushings and one with... they're very reliable and very accurate and until I clean them, I don't even think about the bushing.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJerm80 View Post
    Could someone please tell me the pros/cons between a 1911 with bushing and one that is bushingless. Is one style better than the other?
    Thanks in advance!
    A 1911 with a bushing does not have a captured recoil spring. When you turn the recoil spring plug, you must be very carefully or the bushing and spring will come flying out of the pistol at considerable force. My Kimber has a bushing. It is a great gun but I dread cleaning it.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    A 1911 with a bushing does not have a captured recoil spring. When you turn the recoil spring plug, you must be very carefully or the bushing and spring will come flying out of the pistol at considerable force. My Kimber has a bushing. It is a great gun but I dread cleaning it.
    The flip side of this is that you need a tool of some sort - even a bent paper clip - to retain the spring on a bushingless gun when you disassemble it. I love my Kimber CDP II, but I'm not in love with taking it down. Similarly, my full-size Springfield TRP came with a 2-piece guide rod which required a hex key to disassemble. I swapped that out for a standard recoil spring plug and short guide rod, so now it can be easily disassembled in the field if necessary. Keeping a finger on the spring plug when the bushing is rotated is second nature to me.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Many target shooters prefer the bushing models because you can tailor the fit between the barrel and the bushing and tighten up accuracy. The bushingless models are a set tolerance from the factory and are generally not considered necessarily "target tight". Also, once they wear and that tolerance opens up, you cannot just replace the bushing and tighten it back up. It just gets sloppier and is much more difficult to tighten up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Many target shooters prefer the bushing models because you can tailor the fit between the barrel and the bushing and tighten up accuracy. The bushingless models are a set tolerance from the factory and are generally not considered necessarily "target tight". Also, once they wear and that tolerance opens up, you cannot just replace the bushing and tighten it back up. It just gets sloppier and is much more difficult to tighten up.
    This is a very good point. Not only that, recoil springs should be replaced at certain intervals depending on the model.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Administrator
    Short barrel 1911s seem to operate better if they are bushingless.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think bushingless guns were introduced because their production was easier for the factory.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Also, once they wear and that tolerance opens up, you cannot just replace the bushing and tighten it back up. It just gets sloppier and is much more difficult to tighten up.
    Ummm... not entirely true. That's what oversize bushings are for, and fitting them to slide and barrel is not an uncommon task for a pistolsmith.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My Dan Wesson CBOB has a bushing and I find it very easy to take apart for cleaning without tools. I like that.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Ummm... not entirely true. That's what oversize bushings are for, and fitting them to slide and barrel is not an uncommon task for a pistolsmith.
    I'm talking about guns without bushings. It is a major gunsmith chore to machine the slide to accept a bushing when it wears to the point you are losing accuracy.

Not true with a bushingless design; by the time you affect the fit between the slide and the barrel you will have probably shot out the barrel anyway and will need to replace it.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I'll stick with the point that people that typically prefer a really accurate 1911 prefer the models with the bushings.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    That is easily fixed, the U.S. Ordnance inspector figured that one out back in June 1912.
    Get yourself a recoil spring plug which has the lip punched in it, that allows you to "screw" the plug onto the recoil spring.

If your barrel bushing and spring are coming out together, you're taking the pistol down incorrectly. You first turn the bushing to the left (looking at the muzzle), that allows the lug on the bushing to "lock" into the corresponding channel in the slide, your bushing cannot come off with the spring and plug.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

To support my point about the preference for the bushing for accuracy, the big three, Wilson, Baer and Ed Brown all use bushing models for their builds because they are able to tailor fit a match barrel and bushing for increased accuracy. Ed Brown states he uses a match barrel and all steel bushing for highest accuracy. Go to their websites and verify it.

Factory fit for bushingless models is not nearly as good as with the others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links