Filthy Academy Ammo - Help!

This is a discussion on Filthy Academy Ammo - Help! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got home with a box of Winchester .357 Sig 125 GR. JHP Personal Protection ammo I bought from Academy. Man I wish I ...

Thread: Filthy Academy Ammo - Help!

I just got home with a box of Winchester .357 Sig 125 GR. JHP Personal Protection ammo I bought from Academy. Man I wish I would have inspected the box at the store. Right after I opened it I noticed the ammo looks extremely filthy. The primers have a dark film covering them and the bottoms of the cases are all scratched up. The bullets themselves look fine, and the case walls look fine, but the bottoms of the cases and the primers look all messed up. I'm not a stranger to buying ammo, but I've never seen anything like this before. It looks almost as though the ammo has been tampered with!There is even damage to the styrofoam the cartridges reside in. I don't feel safe even using this stuff as range ammo, let alone using it in my carry gun. How in the world do I settle this? I don't think anywhere accepts ammo returns, and I feel as though I've been ripped for $30.00. Will I have to take this up with Winchester or what? A little help...
    Last edited by I carry IWB; October 25th, 2009 at 02:53 AM.

take some photos and send them to the maker with an explanation of your issue, and kindly ask for their advice.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

VIP Member
    I agree, it's not Academy's fault, take it up with Winchester...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Copy the receipt as well when making your inquiry...

Academy would probably exchange it for you, if you had the receipt. It's not like the box is sealed. A lot easier than contacting Winchester.

I've exchanged ammo at Walmart before.

Worth a try at exchange...dumbest question is the one you dont ask.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by I carry IWB View Post
    I just got home with a box of Winchester .357 Sig 125 GR. JHP Personal Protection ammo I bought from Academy. Man I wish I would have inspected the box at the store. Right after I opened it I noticed the ammo looks extremely filthy. The primers have a dark film covering them and the bottoms of the cases are all scratched up. The bullets themselves look fine, and the case walls look fine, but the bottoms of the cases and the primers look all messed up. I'm not a stranger to buying ammo, but I've never seen anything like this before. It looks almost as though the ammo has been tampered with!There is even damage to the styrofoam the cartridges reside in. I don't feel safe even using this stuff as range ammo, let alone using it in my carry gun. How in the world do I settle this? I don't think anywhere accepts ammo returns, and I feel as though I've been ripped for $30.00. Will I have to take this up with Winchester or what? A little help...
    The primers may well have a coat of sealant over them, although it's usually only around the edges.

As for the rest, it sounds more like the box got dropped somewhere along the line. If it really bothers you, return it to Academy and ask for an exchange. Personally, I'd just shoot it.

I take it you haven't bought much ammo.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I can actually say I do have some experience with buying ammo, Majorlk. Then again, this has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Even a novice would know something is wrong here. The film I speak of is without a doubt not primer sealant. The base of the cartridges are tattered and scratched as well. Of course it bothers me! I wouldn't have taken the time to make a post detailing the problem if it didn't. It is likely the box was dropped and the cartridges spilled, but who knows. I'm pretty serious about what I put through my guns and what I will trust my life with, and this definitely won't do. I can't find my camera upload cable right now, but hopefully tomorrow I will get some pictures up here for fun. I will be visiting Academy at my earliest convenience and give an exchange a shot. If that fails, I'll shoot Winchester an e-mail with some pictures. I run the same Personal Protection ammo (in 9mm) through my CZ-75B and have never seen such poor quality control (Maybe it's not Winchester's fault though. It's possibile something happened between the factory and the store). I'm sure it will work out in the end, like most things do. I'll try to get those pictures up tomorrow so everyone can see this anomaly.

ive shot 4 or 5 boxes of the stuff you are reffering to.
    when i opened up the first box (months ago) i also thought '*** are these some kind of reloads that someone put in a winchester box?'

dunno what the deal is with them. i too would be interested to find out why theyre so dirty looking.

ive not had a single hitch with any of the 200-250rds ive shot, and havent noticed any differences in the weapon (G23 with G32 barrel) since ive been shooting them.

just fwiw...

I carry, if you are that concerned about the ammo, then fallow the advice given here, or junk it.

I know given the price and availability of ammo these days. It would be hard to just junk 50 rounds, but if it weighs that heavy on your mind, you may not have a choice.

Hopefully you can get an exchange.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

That does not sound good. You shouldn't shoot it.

I run a small time ammo disposal business and would be happy to properly dispose of that ammo, for a minimum fee. You can ship it to me at . . . .
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

If I am buying ammo from a commercial retail outlet I always inspect my ammo before I plunk down my money. I buy just about all of my premium personal protection Hollow point from (ammunitiontogo) online, every time I inspect it, it looks fresh the brass is shiney and the ammo has no discoloration at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    That does not sound good. You shouldn't shoot it.

I run a small time ammo disposal business and would be happy to properly dispose of that ammo, for a minimum fee. You can ship it to me at . . . .
    He can send it to me and I'll shoot if for free.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Sponsored Links