Springfield Micro-Compact ejector advice.

This is a discussion on Springfield Micro-Compact ejector advice. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I have a loaded Springfield Micro-Compact 1911 in .45. The problem I have with it is that I cannot manually cycle it. No ...

Thread: Springfield Micro-Compact ejector advice.

Hey guys I have a loaded Springfield Micro-Compact 1911 in .45. The problem I have with it is that I cannot manually cycle it. No matter how fast or slow I try to pull back the slide, it fails to eject the round.

I've tried it with FMJ wwb, blazer brass, pmc and federal. Along with JHP golddot 230gr. But here's the funny thing. It ejects just fine when I'm at the range. I've had maybe 2-3 FTF out of hundreds of rounds.

So should I be concerned and maybe replace the ejector? This gun is part of my carry rotation.

So if you're not at the range, how would you unload your gun without firing it?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I'd be getting on the phone with Springfield, Monday morning....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

When you load are you racking the slide and letting it go or holding the slide while it closes?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    So if you're not at the range, how would you unload your gun without firing it?
    I hold the slide open and shake it out...haha. It pulls it out of the chamber, it just doesn't eject.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew
    When you load are you racking the slide and letting it go or holding the slide while it closes?
    After I pull the slide back the round gets stuck half way out and the slide doesn't go back foward....until I shake the round out.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayman View Post
    I hold the slide open and shake it out...haha. It pulls it out of the chamber, it just doesn't eject.

After I pull the slide back the round gets stuck half way out and the slide doesn't go back foward....until I shake the round out.
    It sounds like your extractor is on the snug side. Pull the slide back like you mean it and let it fly, don't hang on to it when you pull it to the rear.

Insert one round in a mag (better yet, a snap cap) insert it in the gun and pull the slide to the rear as hard as you can while pushing the gun forward with your strong hand, it should eject.

If the gun works while firing, odds are it's fine and should be left alone.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    It sounds like your extractor is on the snug side. Pull the slide back like you mean it and let it fly, don't hang on to it when you pull it to the rear.

Insert one round in a mag (better yet, a snap cap) insert it in the gun and pull the slide to the rear as hard as you can while pushing the gun forward with your strong hand, it should eject.

If the gun works while firing, odds are it's fine and should be left alone.
    What he said!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I see what you're trying to say. You're not going to be able to rack the slide back with the same force that it goes back with when being fired. There are physics at work there that you simply can't match.
    If you're simply trying to unload the gun, first remove the magazine then ease the slide back. The chambered round will drop out the mag well.
    If you're just curious about how the ejector functions, remove the recoil spring and then work the action by hand, snapping the slide to the rear. I bet it ejects then.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    I have a Springfield Micro-Compact as my EDC and as others have said I just cannot pull the slide back smartly enough to eject the chambered round, otherwise the pistol functions with no problems. I have also had this happen with my Commander and full size as well and consider it to be normal operation.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Many 1911s will choke on ejecting a live rounds (if this is what you saying here). 3 in. 1911s are even worse. If it feeds, fires, and ejects then there is nothing wrong with your gun. It can be modified to eject loaded rounds but it may then have problems with empties. Most 1911 ejection ports are only long enough to eject an empty casing. As stated, drop the mag and pull the slide back far enough to extract the round and let it fall through the magwell and out. Avoid removing and rechambering the same round repeatedly. If you have to unload your gun multiple times in a day consider a revolver.

EAJ
    I have a SA Micro and Champion Operator. The Micro ran fine out of the box, but the Champion performed as described here. If the Micro is new, it may simply require some break-in time to loosen up since they can tight and finicky, however if you've put sufficient rounds through it, like I did with my Champion and still encounter the issue it is likely, as others have mentioned, the result of a tight extractor. SA has excellent customer service and will resolve this for you.

Personally, I would not carry a pistol in this condition. Can you imagine trying to eject a failed unfired round from the pistol during a critical incident.

Sponsored Links