First range test of my new Glock

This is a discussion on First range test of my new Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I previously posted about getting a Glock 19. Today I got the chance to try it out. I have not shot any Glocks since a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First range test of my new Glock

First range test of my new Glock

I previously posted about getting a Glock 19. Today I got the chance to try it out.
    I have not shot any Glocks since a few rounds from a first generation 17 not long after they had come out, so it was my first real experience with carrying and shooting one.
    I have owned, shot and handled a large range of handguns, including shooting quite a bit of IPSC with a tuned Springfield 1911 back in the late 80s. I can say that I think I shoot this 19 better than any other hand gun I have owned.

I made a AKJ concealco style holster for it the night I got it.

I am lucky enough to live where I can drive 20 minutes to public land and go shooting so I grabbed some targets and a mix of ammo and headed out to see how it shot.

I started out with a magazine of Blaser Brass. This is the first group I shot at about 15 yards, standing weaver.

I shot about 100 rounds of the Blaser Brass and Winchester White box. And about 50 of some mixed brass 115 JHP police reloads. Everything fired and functioned 100%
    This was my last group of the day. 115 JHP fired at 10 yards drawing from concealed, rapid fire.

I found that the gun fit my hand like it was made for it. When drawing from the holster the sights lined up perfectly to the target and I did not find myself needing to adjust the sight picture at all. The recoil was not noticeable (especially compared to my Kel-Tec p11) and it snapped back on target quickly.
    I was very impressed with this pistol after just 150 rounds, it will definitely replace my Kel-Tec as my EDC.
    The only problem I had was the magazine release. I need to break my grip more than I like to hit it with my thumb. So I may look into an extended release. Other than that, I think (with many apologies to John Browning) that for me, this may turn out to be the perfect carry/combat pistol.

2. Remove Ads

There's nothing like running the first magazine through your new
    Glock.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Congrats on the 19! It is a really good choice . I like the holster you made. I have a Concealco holster for my Glock 30 and it works well to conceal such a thick gun.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

That's a great gun. Enjoy it!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I can say that I think I shoot this 19 better than any other hand gun I have owned.
    That's it! I think you're hooked! Thanks for the range report, and keep up the good work! By all means....Glock on!

Congrats likewise on the G19.. It will serve you well, and indeed keep us up to date
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    303british,

Good job, I love my 19 too.

Where in CO do you live and what public lands are you using?

Look into the Vickers Tactical magazine release. It is slightly longer than the stock piece but shorter than the Glock extended mag release. It is perfect in size, nicely rounded for no sharp edges. I use it on my 19 and 26, works perfect. Manufactured by tangodown.

TangoDown

Hey Andrew, I hope this is andrew anyways, I have the g 19 as well but my girlfriend keeps it by the bed at night while im at work. I love this gun to . You have made me 3 excellant holsters as well in the past couple years that I love and use alot. You did live in Idaho correct? William

Congrats on the new Glock, it won't be your last.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

HighAltitude. Thanks for the link to the Vickers Tactical magazine release, it looks like just what I need. I'm up past Divide, there is some BLM land access up off Teller County 1 I shoot on

Leadtag, sorry I'm not Andrew, I have never sold any of my holsters, just make them for myself.

And thanks everyone else, I'll let you know how it is to carry this week.

kpw
    Nice choice. The thing about the G19 is the more you shoot it, the more you'll like it.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 303british View Post
    HighAltitude. Thanks for the link to the Vickers Tactical magazine release, it looks like just what I need. I'm up past Divide, there is some BLM land access up off Teller County 1 I shoot on

Leadtag, sorry I'm not Andrew, I have never sold any of my holsters, just make them for myself.

And thanks everyone else, I'll let you know how it is to carry this week.

I am further north in the foothills west of Denver. I use forest service land to shoot on. It is so nice to be able to set up any targets you want, shoot any drills you want etc.......and not have to pay any range fees.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    great grouping
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    Congrats on your new Glock. A G19 was my first Glock, but it didn't take long before the little brother G26 showed up....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Its almost to darn easy with these handguns.......and the 19 is really close to perfection!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links