Ruger LCP vs. Kel-Tek P3AT

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP vs. Kel-Tek P3AT within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any experience with these? My wife is looking at both of them and I'd like to gather a bit more info to help ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone have any experience with these? My wife is looking at both of them and I'd like to gather a bit more info to help compare.

I have the LCP and love mine. At 7 yards I can keep every shot in the mag in about a 4 inch circle.
    Light , accurate to bad they don't make a 9mm version about the size of the Keltec 9mm's. I believe they would sell like hot cakes.

But back to your question the LCP is a quality arm that is accurate and light and easy to conceal.

My wife carries a Kel TEC P3 AT and really likes it. The P3 goes bang every time and she has feed it all kinds of 380 ammo, and it shoots to point of aim. IMO it has been around long enough for the bugs to be worked out of it and with good SD ammo is very effective.

I have both and actually just picked up my LCP on Saturday and shot it for the first time yesterday. Have had the P3AT for two years. Honestly, they both shoot pretty much the same. The LCP is a little "smoother", but that's about the only difference. Kel Tec does have a lifetime guarantee. I honestly couldn't endorse one over the other, but they certainly are functional for CC.

My EDC is the Kel Tec PF-9, in pocket, except when wearing jeans. Then I carry my .380, in pocket. Good luck.
    Glock 22, Glock 23, S&W SW40VE, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Check this out for a comparison... It seems like a legit review...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have both. The grip is a bit better on the P3AT because it's more aggressive but it can also irritate the hand after a day at the range. Fit and finish favor the LCP. Both give you "smilies" which are half moon indentations on the bullet noses. It happens from recoil pusing the top round in the mag against the feed ramp.

I've had both for a while and shot them both alot. I wouldn't get rid of a P3AT to get an LCP but if I was starting out and had to pick one over the other, I'd probably give the nod to the LCP.

Also, be sure if you get the LCP that it's a "post recall"

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    I have the LCP and love mine. At 7 yards I can keep every shot in the mag in about a 4 inch circle.
    Light , accurate to bad they don't make a 9mm version about the size of the Keltec 9mm's. I believe they would sell like hot cakes.

But back to your question the LCP is a quality arm that is accurate and light and easy to conceal.
    +1

For the price, and they seem to have dropped a little lately, the LCP is a very good option for concealed carry. Easy to have with you at all times in a pocket holster.

I have the LCP and the way I understand it they're basically the same design. IMO, the fit and finish on the LCP is better than the Kel Tec, but for overall function it has no effect on the performance.

If it was me, I'd look for the LCP, cause I like my pistols to look good too.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I have them both and pretty much what everyone is posting, they are basically the same guns. I carry the KelTec and my wife and daughter carry the LCP. Both shoot great without any problems.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I carry my P-3at daily and I only had FTEs during my first 50 rounds, during break in. That is to be expected. Now with over 500 rounds through the gun and no more FTE since the break in. I have full confidence in my Kel-Tec. have not had to have it serviced for anything. I added the little "pinky extensions" to my two six round Kel-Tec mags and neither mag has had any feed errors nor had errors from my two ProMag magazines one 10 round and one 15 round. P-3at can be rough because of the grips. My sister has fired it and she says that it pinches her finger. My only guess is the slight gap between the mag baseplate and the grip is what is doing that, but it does not pinch me, but I have tougher skin than her as well. My cousin has the LCP and we are going to "trade" guns at his home range one day. I will give a report here if anyone wants it.
    Last edited by ramrunnr; October 26th, 2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: sp errors
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    P3AT of mine has been reliable since purchased. I did a fluff and buff following information found on the KelTec users site. I shoot a magazine or two through it each week just to make sure it goes bang. I have snap caps that were used a lot to condition the trigger pull. I use Breakfree CLP and a light touch of brake caliper grease on the hammer transfer bar. It runs smooth. I have found keeping it in .380 ammo the biggest challenge.

Sounds as if it is a bit of the "same church, different pew" type of situation. (Six of one, half-dozen of the other).

It all boils down to personal preference, doesn't it?

The LCP allows you to manually lock the slide open (for cleaning, inspection, etc), while the KT does not.

Based on the handgun reliability polls from a few months back, a strong nod to the LCP - Ruger's reliability was of the first order, while many respondents reported issues with KT handguns. (PS - I'm not knocking KT - I'm looking to buy one of their Sub 2000 carbines. Just reporting the facts as presented in the poll.)

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ht=reliability
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have the KelTec .32 and the 380...my wife grabbed the .32 and does carry that with her...ignoring her Glock-26, at least she taking a gun with her.

I carry the KT .380 from time to time...it is so easy to conceal.

The P-3AT has never caused me one problem and it has always gone bang...over 7 years now (1st gen).

Easy takedown for cleaning, but not a fun range gun...it can be counted on to take care of 'up close' business.
    Great service from the KelTec company here in FL.

The Ruger LCP is only a copy of the KelTec and is a little smoother looking...remember all the problems the Ruger LCP had when they first came out? I'll stick with my P-3AT...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I think the recall was based on the possiblity of it firing if dropped a certain way. I did a one-time drop test on mine letting it hit muzzle first.......nothing happened. I think I did a thread here about that.

I did send mine back for the recall.....it was free.

I like mine, I have no experience with the P3AT, only what I've read. I carry mine in a pocket holster, but this serves as a reminder, firearms can/do get pretty grungy inside a pocket, especially my pockets. Either gun, keep 'em clean you sure don't want a malfunction because of grunge. I allowed mine to get pretty dirty to just see how "forgiving" it might be..........IT IS NOT FORGIVING.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links