Anyone got an opinion of a Grendel P-10?

This is a discussion on Anyone got an opinion of a Grendel P-10? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a coworker that is interested in selling his Grendel P-10. I'm not sure what to think of this gun. Any ideas?...

Thread: Anyone got an opinion of a Grendel P-10?

Anyone got an opinion of a Grendel P-10?

I have a coworker that is interested in selling his Grendel P-10. I'm not sure what to think of this gun. Any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    One of the first things you will notice is that for how small it is, it packs a lot of ammo, carrying 10 plus one in the chamber.

To get this capacity, the magazine is non-removeable. To load the built-in magazine, you lock the slide back and push the rounds in from the top, like some rifles.
    That makes it a No-Go for me... but just my opinion. No first hand experience with them.

I believe I mention my P-10 in the "Guns you wish you'd never bought" thread. A complete waste of the $150 it cost me at the time. I could not keep in extractor in mine; the first disappeared after the first shot, the second extractor (supplied by Grendel without a problem) also disappeared after one shot. It still functions, I guess the spent shells still have enough "ooomph" to blow themselves out as the slide comes back. It was a PITA to load and unload at the best of times, now it's a real chore to unload. I haven't taken it out of the safe in over 20 years, if I could sell it without feeling like I was cheating the other guy I'd do it in an instant.

Bottom line-- you get what you pay for, and you shouldn't pay much for a P-10.

I not only have an opinion on the Grendel: I have one and have carried it for something like 20 years, I bought one when they first came out.

YES it uses an internal mag and thus is not fast on the reload, but it is rarely carried as a primary and then only when anything bigger would be impractical.

On the other hand I have found it to be reliable with very few failures I can recall and I have maybe 5,000 rounds through it.

The Grendel is essentially the grand daddy of the Kel Tecs.

I have small children at the house, 11 and 6. While I won't have anything out in the open and unsecured, I just don't like the idea of a gun that I can't drop the clip and pull the slide on and have completely empty in a matter of seconds. It's more of a convenience/safety issue for me. I'm sure it fires just fine, but try unloading it without firing every round in the gun. That's what I don't like.

thanks guys. . .

Just one of those guns that was different but could muster no following.

I have a Grendel and it is garbage....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I have never heard much positive about them. Put your $ toward something that is still in production or has some collector value. Sometimes parts can be hard to find for these no longer made guns.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Had one. Never FTF but the plastic started wearing off around the bottom of the grip frame. Just had a bad feeling about it plus a PITA to unload as mentioned.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

No

I have a P10 sitting in the gunshop. It's got a broken part and is a paperweight. No parts are available and Kel Tec won't work on them or warranty them. The owner abandoned it to us since it couldn't be fixed. That's the risk of owning odd, wierd, or out of production guns.

I owned one, a P12 (same gun with detachable magazine). I think I traded it in on something else at a gunshow years ago and forgot about it. Real junker and not worth my time.

JD
    Administrator
    Right now you'd be spending more on ammo to feed a .380 than the gun is worth...

Thanks, Superhouse 15 and everyone else. This thread pretty much affirms the fact that he's trying to unload it on me. It's amazing how many people are shifty when it comes to selling something. He said it was just a small piece that he and his wife don't use anymore. The part he left out is that it seems to be a gun that no one wants.

I own one, it's not too bad actually. I had a gunsmith do a bit of work on it years ago, polished feed ramp, custom extractor "ground down from some other gun as I recall" Works fine, but still a royal pain to load and unload. But, for it's original intended purpose It'd work fine. It was designed to be a last ditch backup gun with a decent number of rounds. I stopped carrying it after the thought struck me, if I get pulled over is the officer likely to be able to figure out how to unload it? LOL, nearly getting shot by one police officer trying to unload a cocked and locked 1911 is not something I have any desire to repeat, and the grendal would be much much worse. Besides it holds 11 rounds my bersa DLX holds 10 and is a much better gun.

Links