Need advice

Need advice

This is a discussion on Need advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a good carry conceal gun. I have it narrowed down to 3 and would like input from the readers. They are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice

Need advice

I am looking for a good carry conceal gun. I have it narrowed down to 3 and would like input from the readers. They are all 9mm.

Choices are: 1.) Taurus PT 111 MP, 2.) Taurus 24/7, and finally the Bersa Thunder 9.

I had tried the Kel Tek but didn't like the long hard trigger pull and it didn't feel comfortable in my hand. I do have a large hand and my little finger was not on the grip with the Kel Tek. it just didn't feel right.

Thanks for the help.

VIP Member
    Don't know much about the Taurus models, but if the Bersa 9mm is anything like the .380, it's probably the gem of the bunch.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

If you want a 9mm, I don't believe you can beat the Glock 19. Fifteen round capacity, very straight shooting, extremely light recoil as with all Glocks and certainly dependable. It should be available for $500 or less. HOWEVER, as any automatic can fail--jam, that is--you might think about a S&W small frame .38. I've had an airweight for 40+ years. It has never failed (revolvers just don't). Five shots, six on some models. You'll sacrifice rounds for certainty of function, but if an automatic jams when you need it.....!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I am not a fan of Taurus guns so of the three the Bersa would be my pick. I have the Bersa Firestorm Pro .45 and its a good solid handgun, not one of my regular carry guns but a decent gun. It looks like you are trying to find a CCW handgun on the less expensive side , is that correct?. We all know money is tight now for many folks but I have to says this, a CCW handgun is not the place to scrimp on quality since your life and the lives of loved ones are at stake. I strongly recommend you spend a little more and buy a top tier handgun like Springfield XD, any Glock, S&W M&P, CZ or SIG you will be happier in the long run and own a handgun you can count on when you need it most. Heck you can find Glock G19's used for under $400 or $500 new. Save a few dollars somewhere else, not on your primary carry gun.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by OLDPUPPYMAX View Post
    If you want a 9mm, I don't believe you can beat the Glock 19. Fifteen round capacity, very straight shooting, extremely light recoil as with all Glocks and certainly dependable. It should be available for $500 or less. HOWEVER, as any automatic can fail--jam, that is--you might think about a S&W small frame .38. I've had an airweight for 40+ years. It has never failed (revolvers just don't). Five shots, six on some models. You'll sacrifice rounds for certainty of function, but if an automatic jams when you need it.....!
    There's something to be said for that "truism"!

Meanwhile, back st the ranch... Both the Glock 19 and the Bersa Thunder 9 are excellent choices. If you have the money, the Glock is the way to go; the true "soldier" of the two. OTOH, The Bersa has a reputation for ebing "tough as nails" and will nearly ALWAYS "bark" on command!

Either of these pistols will provide an excellent sefvice life. The Bersa will be a little heavier, but the Glock will always have that "plastic" feel.

I don't think that you can go wrong with either one.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I would get a Bersa over a Taurus, but that's just personal bias.

Are you dead set on a 9mm? Are you dead set on a single stack magazine?

The Taurus is a good gun in my experience
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

No I am not set on just those 3. They seemed to be the ones which felt the best and I liked firing. As far a 9mm goes I carry a 9mm for work and wanted to stay with that caliber. I used to have 3 different calibers of guns and got tired of having all different types of ammo. Any other advice is welcome.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

While I don't have any of the guns you mentioned I do have a Taurus PT140 and a Bersa .40. Between the 2 I'd go for the Bersa, of course I prefer a DA/SA over DAO. That being said, you might also want to take a look at the CZ75 P-01 or CZ75 P-07. P-01 is a light alloy frame, where the P-07 is a poly frame. I have the P-01 and it is what I carry when I carry a 9mm.

Of the three you listed I would go with the Bersa.

I've had 2 of the Bersa's - I'll never own another...

I would pony up to the Glock if at all possible...

I have a Bersa 380 Thunder Plus.....great gun....I have wanted a 9MM UC and when my dealer got one in, I thoght the trigger was just ok, and since I have a Glock 19 and a 26, it made no sense to me to get the UC9...but they "seem" to be a nice, well built gun.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Kahr PM-9 or K-9 above all theose mentioned by the thread originator.

My opinion is that the best way to choose a gun is to take a very long hard look at what exactly you want out of a gun. Since this is going to be a CCW there’s a lot you have to think about. First off, size. Weight, length, and width. This are very important characteristics for a CCW. From my experience a lighter, thinner shorter gun is going to be more comfortable to carry.

Features. Do you want a loaded chamber indicator? Manual Safety? Second strike capability? Night sights? Adjustable Sights?

Capacity, grip texturing, recoil, manufacturer warranty, customer service. These are all things I feel are important when choosing a gun.

Out of the three you listed my vote would be for the Taurus. It has the making of what I personally want in a CCW. It is light weight, fairly thin, has good capacity for the size, has a external safety and a lot of other characteristics that I like for a CCW.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to try to borrow or rent any gun you are considering purchasing. All the research in the world will never compare to actually being able to fire a weapon.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by OLDPUPPYMAX View Post
    I've seen a cylinder lock up on a revolver before. That's not fun. I do agree that the OP should take a serious look at Glock. Even the Glock26 with the finger extension on the magazine.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links