Dishwasher clean? - Page 3

Dishwasher clean?

This is a discussion on Dishwasher clean? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dishwasher clean?

Why?
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

i missread, i thought the doc was giving the advice, didnt see a glock armoror was giving it.

I was thinking the doc was poking fun at glocks being "machine washable" b/c they were "tupperware"

oops
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I used to clean my stainless handguns in the dishwasher. Remove the grips before cleaning. Take them out at the end, spray them down with CLP, wipe down and good to go. Never had a problem - except my exwife would complain.

Don't have that problem now.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Anyone who thinks this is a good idea should read the MSDS sheets on all the chemicals involved in shooting, lubricating, and cleaning your gun.

Then tell me you want that stuff on the dishes you eat with.

You wash your hands immediately after shooting...yet putting your firearm in the dishwasher is a good idea?!

Quite possibly this one wins the "Darwin award" for the stupidest thing I have read in a long, long, loooooong time...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    how lazy can one be?
    Exactly what I was thinking. Whether or not it works, I still question the laziness of someone who does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. Whether or not it works, I still question the laziness of someone who does it.
    Here's vote #3 for lazy.
    And vote #2 for Darwin Award eligibility.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. – Richard Henry Lee 1788

OD*
    I wouldn't think a dishwasher would gun a weapon very clean.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I've heard about the Glock in the dishwasher before myself. Not me, but I guess it would be okay. I don't think it would do very well on the barrel though, and the barrel is the main part that needs to be cleaned on a Glock anyway.

Actually the dishwasher that I have would probably be put to better use as a gun safe then for "washing the dishes". I always wind up pre-washing. We just call it the Sanitizer. I think I'd soak every metal part in the old varsol sink before I did anything like that.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    tell me this thread is a joke.... Is this how you get it clean after you bury it and dunk it in mud? I'm starting to grow tired of hearing the whole

Hey I can run over my gun with my truck and its fine!
    Hey I can throw my gun in a lake for a month and its fine!
    Hey I can submerge my gun in water then fire it without dumping the water out of the barrel!
    Hey I can bury my gun in dirt and sand then fire it without any worry!
    Hey I can cook my loaded gun in an oven to fit it to the holster!
    now you have Hey I can wash my glock in a dishwasher... no more cleaning patches for me!

A firearm is a tool. It should be treated as such. Unfortunatly when the owner is a tool you get the above statements.

Sure I'm all for reliable weapons but there is a difference between a firearm that was made reliable for the battlefield and one that is made reliable for consumer target practice/CC. Battle weapons arn't ment to last many years and be handed down to your kid, his kid, etc. They are made to get you out of an encounter alive. Not many ccl holders are going to infiltrate an enemy camp and take out the target then retreat while laying cover fire down with a baby glock

I don't know about you but I'm not going to drop 6 bills on a glock and not spend 30 bucks and 30 minutes to clean it right!..... actually I wouldn't drop 6 bills on a glock.... so carry on
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    My Doctor said one of the Local Sheriff Deputies – a Glock Armorer - told him it'd be okay to clean his (or any) Glock in a Dishwasher, be sure to dry it good - then thin coat of oil and it's good to go.

Anyone else ever hear anything like this?
    This is a common point of discussion on another Glock forum but there's the deal. It takes no time to break it down and clean it right. It's really foolish to do this anyway because the lead that washes off the gun is coating everything in the dishwasher and the next time you use it, the trace lead gets on the dishes. Just not smart at all.

Do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I dunno about you guys, but I actually enjoy the time I spend cleaning my pistols. I know it might sound lame, but I think it creates more of a bond between you and your guns. Ok ok, it sounds really lame.
    I do to except for that couple of times a years that I pull all of um out of the safes and clean um. First 3 or 4 no big deal, but after that it gets kinda boring. I mainly just oil and wipe down the safe regulars and save the real cleaning for the CC rotation weapons.

I have never heard of putting it in the dishwasher. I would say though, if there was a pistol that could handle it and function properly, it'd be a Glock.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    tell me this thread is a joke.... Is this how you get it clean after you bury it and dunk it in mud? I'm starting to grow tired of hearing the whole

Hey I can run over my gun with my truck and its fine!
    Hey I can throw my gun in a lake for a month and its fine!
    Hey I can submerge my gun in water then fire it without dumping the water out of the barrel!
    Hey I can bury my gun in dirt and sand then fire it without any worry!
    Hey I can cook my loaded gun in an oven to fit it to the holster!
    now you have Hey I can wash my glock in a dishwasher... no more cleaning patches for me!

A firearm is a tool. It should be treated as such. Unfortunatly when the owner is a tool you get the above statements.

Sure I'm all for reliable weapons but there is a difference between a firearm that was made reliable for the battlefield and one that is made reliable for consumer target practice/CC. Battle weapons arn't ment to last many years and be handed down to your kid, his kid, etc. They are made to get you out of an encounter alive. Not many ccl holders are going to infiltrate an enemy camp and take out the target then retreat while laying cover fire down with a baby glock

I don't know about you but I'm not going to drop 6 bills on a glock and not spend 30 bucks and 30 minutes to clean it right!..... actually I wouldn't drop 6 bills on a glock.... so carry on
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    +1 on keeping lead and shooting chemicals away from eating utensils.

If you really want to clean your guns, get an ultrasonic cleaner and the appropriate firearm-specific cleaning solutions. (they are water-based and have rust inhibitors)

L&R Ultrasonic Cleaning and Lubricating Systems

I like cleaning my pistols!

I think it's relaxing and therapeutic to sit at the table and clean my gun!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links