Dishwasher clean?

This is a discussion on Dishwasher clean? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Doctor said one of the Local Sheriff Deputies a Glock Armorer - told him it'd be okay to clean his (or any) Glock ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dishwasher clean?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Dishwasher clean?

My Doctor said one of the Local Sheriff Deputies a Glock Armorer - told him it'd be okay to clean his (or any) Glock in a Dishwasher, be sure to dry it good - then thin coat of oil and it's good to go.

Anyone else ever hear anything like this?
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Never heard anything like that, but I can't imagine ever doing it. It sounds like a bad idea IMO. It won't clean it thoroughly and may even damage something. I just can't see anything positive coming out of the experience. That being said, most firearms are very tough, but I still don't see the point.

I dunno about you guys, but I actually enjoy the time I spend cleaning my pistols. I know it might sound lame, but I think it creates more of a bond between you and your guns. Ok ok, it sounds really lame.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I dunno about you guys, but I actually enjoy the time I spend cleaning my pistols. I know it might sound lame, but I think it creates more of a bond between you and your guns. Ok ok, it sounds really lame.
    Yeah, thats pretty lame... Just kidding. I feel the same way.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

VIP Member
    I've heard that but really, how lazy can one be? I'd have a hard time believing the gun would be cleaned properly anyway with that method.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

A local Glock dealer around me used that in his sales picth.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    It might clean the Glock parts, but I wouldn't want to chance transferring any microscopic amount of chemicals from the parts to the dishwasher and then to dishes.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    No thanks!
    Some dishwashers get very hot, hotter than the hot water your water heater puts out, due to a built in water heating system.
    Not to mention most dishwasher detergents are corrosive. If you've ever washed an aluminum pan in a dishwasher and see the black spots appear, it will give you an idea of what that stuff can do.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    The next time I use my Glock 27 as a pie plate I might put it in the dishwasher.

Seriously, I've never put one in the dishwasher, however I have pulled wooden grips off and field-stripped them, then standing outside the shower, held them with a piece of cord and let the hot water only stream clean them out. Wait until they get real hot, take it out, shake what few drops remain. The parts will be pretty hot and pretty much dry by itself. Lube and reassemble.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    My dishwasher hardly gets my dishes clean...I don't trust it with my guns.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Not to mention most dishwasher detergents are corrosive.
    Not only that, but most auto dishwasher stuff is abrasive as well. That's why your coffee mugs fade over time and it's such a bad idea to stick knives in there.

My guess is that it would survive and probably end up really rather clean but, probably not as clean as a good hand cleaning. It also may get some lube out of places it belongs where it's hard to replace.

I've used a hot shower to take sand and mud off a weapon before, but I don't used any dishwashing chemicals or anything.

Then again, I don't own a dishwasher, except my hands, so I guess all of my weapons get dishwasher cleaned.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It would probably work just fine. I clean my pistols with hot water and Simple Green. It cleans better than any solvent that I have tried in the last 36 yrs. Rinse with hot water, dry, and then hose down any metal parts with CLP.

What is with the terrible advice going around today? First the guy that told somebody to put his carry inside the leather holster and leave it loaded in the oven to form the holster... now people cleaning their guns in the dishwasher?
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    My dishwasher hardly gets my dishes clean...I don't trust it with my guns.
    LOL. I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

This reminds me of cleaning your vehicle in a car wash verses by hand. We all know which method actually cleans... Think I'll stick to the tried and true old fashion method.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links