Trying to decide what to buy

This is a discussion on Trying to decide what to buy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have posted my experiences with pistols that use double stack magazines - bad. I have spent the last few weeks looking at info about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide what to buy

VIP Member

Trying to decide what to buy

I have posted my experiences with pistols that use double stack magazines - bad. I have spent the last few weeks looking at info about practically every single stack compact pistol on the market. I have narrowed my choices down to three. I have decided that for the immediate future I am going with 9mm. Really three groups. I am considering a Kahr - P9, P9 Covert, or PM9. The second group are Smith & Wesson - Model 908, 3913TWS, or CS9. The last is not a group to choose from it is the STI LS9. The Kel-Tec PF-9 is not available yet so it is not in the running; besides I have decided that I don't want to be a beta tester for a new firearm. After it has proved itself maybe I'll consider it.

I have read a lot of comments about Kahrs having feed problems and have witnessed a few myself. My wife and I took an NRA Basic Pistol course in Feb. and the other student in the class had a new Kahr P9. I liked the pistol, but I don't think he ever fired three shots in a row without having to hit the slide with the heel of his hand to get it into battery. During lunch the instructor took it apart and cleaned it. It wasn't dirty. He oiled the slide and reassemble it. Next shooting section produced the same results. I had a new box of WWB 9mm with me so we changed ammo. I don't remember what he was using, but it wasn't WWB. Then different ammo didn't help either. I don't need a pistol that is going to require several hundred rounds to get to fire properly or that won't fire what I feed it. I especially don't need one that has to go back to the manufacturer for repair. So I have just about talked myself out of the Kahr. I know that many here have them and like them. Again maybe later I'll try one.

OK that gets me to the S&Ws and the STI. Do any of you have experience with any of these pistols: S&W Model 908, S&W Model 3913TWS, S&W CS9 (Chief's Special), or STI LS9? If so let me know about your experience. Good, bad or indifferent I want to know. I will have to make my own decision, but it will be a lot easier if I have some input on the pistols in question.

Thanks for the help.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I really like the S&W autos. They are more complicated that other designs in that they have more parts, and they can be harder to clean, but they are good performers. I carry a 4006 on duty. I own my former 4006 duty weapon and a 4013 that is a former department owned weapon. I really like the 4013, which is the .40 version of the 3913. I think that the 3913 would serve you well.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Looks like some excellent choices although I would have to say that I have no experience with any of the mentioned firearms other then what I have read or heard. I had looked at purchasing a Kahr but I don't really like the fact the the stiker must be pre loaded. Its billed as a double action pistol but in reality it is more like a SA. That is just my opinion and is not meant to disparage this pistol or those that use and like them in any way. You did not include a Sig or CZ pistol on your list. I have a Sig P239 (40 S&W) that is just a great carry gun. It also comes in 9mm. I just purchased a CZ75 P-01 9mm. What an absolutely fabulous pistol. 400 rounds thru it since I got it last friday, no FTF or FTE. Very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. You might want to take a look at it.

Check out the Springfield XD's I carry the 9mm everyday IWB and have put several hundred rounds thru it without and problems. I did have 2 rounds fail to fire even though the primer had been hit but you can not blame the gun for that.

Just my thoughts
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

Look for a S&W model 39. Yes it is a older gun but it is a single stack mag. I have one and it has not given me any problems. It just keeps on shooting.

frankmako

Lead Moderator
    Have you considered a 1911 platform? The Colt defender seems to work well for reliability and small size.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Having just gone through the experience myself, I will add a second recommendation for the Sig 239. It is a single stack ideal for CCW and carries 7 rounds. It has a slim profiel and everything I have read about them indicates that they have no mechanical problems of any kind. They are more expensive than a lot of models but having just purchased the .40 version of the 239, I can say that I am very pleased with my selection. The 239 comes in a 9mm version.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako
    Look for a S&W model 39. Yes it is a older gun but it is a single stack mag. I have one and it has not given me any problems. It just keeps on shooting.

frankmako
    I have an S&W model 439. I love it.

Because of my work I believe that it is too long to conceal. I work in a library and do lots of bending and climbing so a compact pistol is required. I don't really think the STI would work I just like how thin it is.

In answer to the questions I know will come about 1911s. I plan to get one, but in my current job it presents the same problem as the full sized S&W. I believe I can keep a compact single stack covered while stretching up or bending down, but a full length will print. The commander size might work, but I am already comfortable with the 9mm and already know the manual of arms for the S&Ws. It has been over 30 years since I used a 1911.

Thanks for the input. I may find a good deal while in Washington, but if not I plan to pick up my new carry early in May.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Consider the SIG P239 as well, it's a single stack 9mm. It's not a small one, but not huge either. I honestly don't believe you would have any trouble concealing it, I've had no problems hiding a Colt Commander. The grip is slightly shorter than the Colt's, which would aid in concealment for you. It shoots exceptionally well, my brother owns one and it's NICE. Very hard to go wrong with a SIG.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I have the following below:

Sig 239 (9mm): Great trigger and very accurate. Have never had any problems. Capacity 8+1 or 10+1 capacity. 1 years warranty

Kahr PM9: After the initial 200 rounds it spits out whatever I feed it. Great trigger and pretty accurate. Ideal CCW and capacity is 6+1 or 7+1. 5 year warranty

FN-P9 (9mm): Larger in size than the ones above, very accurate and have never had any problems. Capacity 16+1 with Sig type decocker. Maker of great guns to include military.1 year warranty

Para CCW745S (45): Somewhat bigger than the above but still concealable (4.25 barrel). The LDA trigger is hard to explain but smooth and I like it. This is a very accurate weapon (can shoot better than with my Beretta 92FS). Capacity 7+1. Lifetime warranty

All the ones you listed Id op for the 3913TWS. But the two I own are springfield xdsc 9mm and a cz-75 pcr compact 9mm And love both those pistols. Good luck with your choice let us know what ya get. Have a good one.

Sixgun

I have a pair of STI BLS 9mms, and really like them. They are 9mms on the 1911 platform, so it may need some tweaking, depending on your ammo choices. VERY SLIM! And feel great! mags are the Springfield-style, with the rear insert; sights are plain black- fixed front, and proprietary Novak rear. The slide-catch is deactivated, but it's not hard to put a new one in place. The LS is ultra-concealable, but I preferred the full-size frame with the BLS. THe BLS has been discontinued, but you can still find a few around.

Brazos Custom http://www.brazoscustom.com/
    and http://www.thundermountaincustomrifle.com/
    are both STI Dealers I know Mike Chasse (Thunder Mountain) is a master dealer, so his listed price of $710 may actually be lower. I saved $100 by ordering direct from Mike.

Blade Tech makes holster fir the LS/BLS.

erh
    dr_cmg - IMHO, almost all of the before mentioned pistols are likely fine choices. In my past experience(S)(3 to be exact...) P - series Kahr's are infuriatingly "If'y" to say the least. I do however highly recommend the "All metal versions in 9mm"; I actually have a "Very Favorite"; a Kahr K9 Elite '03; wouldn't give it up for anything..!

Good Luck & enjoy whatever you go with,
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

VIP Member
    After getting several recommendations on the Sig 239 I have checked the specs and added it to my very short list. I'm sure P95Carry (Chris) will be pleased to hear it. In fact my very short list consists of Sig 239 and S&W 3913. One of the things that help to narrow down to these two was going to the K&D Holster site and looking at the gun list. I know Kevin could make a holster for a gun not on the list, but I was just look to see what he already had forms for. While in Vancouver, WA next week I plan to see if I can handle both of these pistols and maybe if the deal is right buy one.

Thanks for the help and suggestion. Anyone who want to contribute to the dr_cmg new gun fund can pm me and I will give you the address to send checks to.
    George

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - ''all donations gratefully received'' - yeah I know George - nice try

Well yes indeed, the 239 could well be the beginning of a love affair, second only to your dear wife, of course! If you can feel happy with the controls George and get thru the initial DA/SA transition aspect (not hard) then that would be one humdinger of a gun for you. Great for carry if the size aspect is where you wanna be.

I am not anti Smith auto's at all, just not ''as keen'' but - I'll certainly endorse the SIG as a choice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links