Safety for CCW - Page 2

Safety for CCW

This is a discussion on Safety for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dont see anything wrong with an external safety. My EDC is a 1911, and after shooting it for a while, disengaging the safety becomes ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety for CCW

Distinguished Member
    I dont see anything wrong with an external safety.

My EDC is a 1911, and after shooting it for a while, disengaging the safety becomes part of the draw, especially when drawing from my safariland, as my thumb falls from the retention lever directly into place on the safety just as it clears the holster.

Plus, in the unlikely event that a BG gets control of my gun, most of theme are so used to "point-and-click" DAs, that they may not even know how to disengage it...

It's a time-proven design, and I trust my life to it.

I'll admit that at first it took me some time to get used to the idea of no manual safety, but now I very much prefer it that way on a carry gun.

All of my guns are DAO with no manual safeties. As others have mentioned, you should definitely buy a holster that covers the trigger and practice, practice, practice drawing the gun and re-holstering it with no ammo. I carried from day one with a round in the chamber for one simple reason. You may not have a free hand or the ability to rack the slide when you need it most.

Very good post Gideon. +1
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I carry a CZ75B W/ the hammer at half cock (according to the manual the weapon is designed to be carried this way)

When I first started carrying I carried a 1911 but due to safety concerns I carried in cond. 3. One morning I got jumped in a parking lot and in the panic of the moment I forgot that I didn’t have a round chambered. Luckily my assailant saw the gun coming up and changed his mind. to be clear at the time the attack started he was already too close for me to have chambered a round even if I hadn't panicked

Lessons learned: Never carry on an empty chamber 2. Under stress the fewer actions you have to take the less likely you are to miss a step. I try to keep my panic drills as simple as possible, a safety is just one more task you have to complete under pressure.

Keep it in the holster, with one in the chamber, and your good to go. Mine stays in the holster. The Kahrs are nice and have the internal safety so it cant go off unless the trigger is pulled. I like the XD's because of the grip safeties. Good luck
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I do not have my CCP yet but I am planning on taking it within the next month. I am thinking about getting a Kahr to carry but that model does not have a safety. This tends to bother me. Do people carry without one in the chamber or is this not a problem with a good holster?
    At the moment I carry my Bersa Thunder .380 CC with a full magazine, a round in the chamber and safety off. I believe that's called 'condition 1'. Think of it like this: when seconds count, do you really want to fiddle with a safety and then have to rack the slide to load a round? What happens if you don't have use of one of your hands by trying to keep the bad guy at bay until you draw your weapon? Both my guns, the Bersa mentioned above and my Beretta Px4 Storm have SA/DA triggers so the first round has a heavy trigger pull. As long as you have a holster that covers the trigger, you should be OK. Also you need to practice handling the firearm without putting your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot. That should be common sense though but every once in a while it's good to be reminded.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

If you do decide to go with a gun with a manual safety make sure that the holster will rub the safety and cause it to go to the off safety position. I have had that happen. Just try it around the house cocked and locked over an empty chamber, move around as you normally would and check before carrying cocked and locked over a loaded chamber. There are LE agencies that go with DA, no safety due to officers getting shot because they were attempting to shoot with safety on. Lots of stress. What ever you chose, train, train, train.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I am thinking about getting a Kahr to carry but that model does not have a safety. This tends to bother me.
    The Kahr is a fine gun. You'll find that the first shot is Double action where you will have a LONG and HEAVY trigger pull. Following shots will be Single action meaning the first shot will cock the hammer for the second etc.
    After you see how that first trigger pull is, you'll know it would be impossible to accidentally have it go off. That's assuming your holster covers the trigger.
    Don't buy a holster that doesn't cover the trigger, and don't carry "Gansta" style without a holster. (ask Plaxico Burris).

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    The Kahr is a fine gun. You'll find that the first shot is Double action where you will have a LONG and HEAVY trigger pull. Following shots will be Single action meaning the first shot will cock the hammer for the second etc.

That statement is incorrect...you must be thinking of another gun. The Kahr has a single trigger pull, first shot to last and is striker fired...no hammer.

Kahr offers two triggers, the standard one at about 7 lbs and 3/8" travel and a longer travel, 1/2", at the same pull. The longer pull is called the NYPD trigger.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Made for those states that require a safety. Here it is...

Notice that the safety works the reverse of any safety I have ever seen. So, if you are used to a gun with a safety, such as a 1911, you should probably stay away from this gun. Too easy to mess things up.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Notice that the safety works the reverse of any safety I have ever seen. So, if you are used to a gun with a safety, such as a 1911, you should probably stay away from this gun. Too easy to mess things up.
    Isn't that version only for CA and MA? That being said, I would never buy that version. I can't see how it's any safer than their standard gun, but then again, I don't understand CA or MA.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Exactly. He probably doesn't want a gun with a safety that's counterintuitive to everything else out there. If he's used to a 1911 or similar, this one will be "backwards" to him. Conversely, if he gets used to this one, everything else will feel weird.

Personally, I'm a big fan of thumb safeties because I'm a 1911 guy by genetics, or something like that. For those that would turn down a gun because it has one, my advice is.... "Psssttt.... just don't flip it on....."
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Safeties on CCW Guns

Simply put, a manual safety's real value is when you are handling the gun between the holster and other places (in my case, my desk and my night stand).

My Beretta has both ambi safety/decocker and is open hammered. In part, I got this configuration so that it was easier for my wife, who has only handled revolvers, to deal with a semi-auto.

I take the safety off when I am out and about, and feel that the closing distance for BG's may require a quicker pull and shoot. This is generally after dark.

Keep Plexico Burris in mind. He is sitting in a New York Hotel Graybar, and not playing in the NFL for big bucks, because he did not have his Glock 26 in a holster, a stupid idea. Moving it around, he got his finger on the trigger, and shot himself in the leg.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    Simply put, a manual safety's real value is when you are handling the gun between the holster and other places (in my case, my desk and my night stand).

My Beretta has both ambi safety/decocker and is open hammered. In part, I got this configuration so that it was easier for my wife, who has only handled revolvers, to deal with a semi-auto.

I take the safety off when I am out and about, and feel that the closing distance for BG's may require a quicker pull and shoot. This is generally after dark.
    That is OK, for semi-automatics which has a long pull "double action" first shot! As long as you are not carrying it with the hammer "cocked!"

It is extremely unsafe to carry any "single action" semi-auto, such as the 1911 with the safety off!

Safety off on a 1911 or any other "single action" auto pistol is not endorsed by anyone who has any type of credentials or reputation.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links