Safety for CCW - Page 3

Safety for CCW

This is a discussion on Safety for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tokerblue Isn't that version only for CA and MA? I live in CA and my Kahr PM9 is CA legal without the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Safety for CCW

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Isn't that version only for CA and MA?
    I live in CA and my Kahr PM9 is CA legal without the manual safety.

One problem with different models of guns with external safetys is the way some safetys are disengaged by thumbing down the safety like on 1911 style pistols,and others the safety is disengaged by thumbing it up.If you get in a SD situation and have both types of pistols you do not want to forget which way to thumb the safety off when every micro second counts,most of my guns either have no external safety,or have a safety that thumbs down like my 1911's."KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH AND YOU WILL BE FINE"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    For those that would turn down a gun because it has one [manual safety], my advice is.... "Psssttt.... just don't flip it on....."
    Potentially bad advice, sorry. As others have said, I would not recommend this on a SA like a 1911. The other issue is just as safeties can get bumped "off," they can also get bumped "on."

If you have a pistol with a manual safety, you must practice taking it off safe during the draw, period. You don't want to assume the safety is "off" only to find that it got bumped "on" at the worst possible moment and your gun won't fire.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have to agree getting a good quality leather holster that covers the trigger is best. When I first started carrying I used to practice (gun unloaded and magazine empty) in and out of my holster. Getting the feel of pulling it from the holster and proper hand, finger placement on the firearm. Like someone else said the best safety in the world is between the ears....
    "Rhino"

Back and forth *selective* safety usage?

I'm wondering however about *selective* safety usage... say in a low threat situation (inside a safe building) you may carry but keep the safety on. When you leave those safer confines, you might want to *discretely* switch the safety off (say you leave the building and go into the parking lot). Then as you enter the next safe area, you *discretely* switch it back on... would this not be a good practice, switching back and forth? Is it even practical (Do most holsters end up covering any manual safety switch?)? I am referring to carrying a DA/SA or DAO... I think I would keep safety on regardless if I were considering SAO.

BTW, I am new to this forum, and totally new to handguns in general, and am only now considering what kind I might be interested in. I have some experience with a shotgun, and so have become accustomed to the idea of a safety being on most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by aca222 View Post
    I'm wondering however about *selective* safety usage... say in a low threat situation (inside a safe building) you may carry but keep the safety on. When you leave those safer confines, you might want to *discretely* switch the safety off (say you leave the building and go into the parking lot). Then as you enter the next safe area, you *discretely* switch it back on... would this not be a good practice, switching back and forth?.
    - I have DAO guns with no safety, but I would not do this for one reason alone. I try not to touch or adjust my gun at all for the fear of someone seeing it or becoming suspicious. You never know who is around and either sees you and calls the cops or just sees you. The other reason I wouldn't do this is because you always want to draw the gun the same way. For example, if you have a 1911, you want to make it a habit of disengaging the safety every time you draw the gun when you want to use it. I wouldn't think you want to break from that pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by aca222 View Post
    BTW, I am new to this forum, and totally new to handguns in general, and am only now considering what kind I might be interested in. I have some experience with a shotgun, and so have become accustomed to the idea of a safety being on most of the time.
    - I'm also a new member, but long time lurker. Personally, I don't think there's any substitution for training and practice. Never put your finger on the trigger when you draw the gun and only put your finger there when you want to fire. Practice drawing your gun repeatedly until this is second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Potentially bad advice, sorry. As others have said, I would not recommend this on a SA like a 1911. The other issue is just as safeties can get bumped "off," they can also get bumped "on."
    I actually agree with you. My thumb safety is always on unless I'm about to shoot. This is especially true of a cocked 1911. My point was that the Glock fans, for example, shouldn't turn a gun down just because they think the safety is a hindrance. They can carry it with the safety off. But I'm with you; I wouldn't do that and it's also the reason I don't own a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If you have a pistol with a manual safety, you must practice taking it off safe during the draw, period. You don't want to assume the safety is "off" only to find that it got bumped "on" at the worst possible moment and your gun won't fire.
    Agreed. Clicking off the thumb safety should be an integral part of bringing the weapon up to point of aim.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I can appreciate your concern. If we grow up hunting with rifles and shot guns (or we're in the military) then we're constantly using and thinking about a safety, but I can assure you, for CCW a manual safety is less than optimal which isn't to say it's bad or anything, it's just not the best.

In defensive weapons handling, you're only deploying your weapon as a response to certain circumstances and basically when you pull it, it's with the full intention of having (and being prepared) to use it. In such a situation you have little time to think and you're immediately scared and the body startes to do things in response to the threat. Fine motor skills go out the door, we tend to go into slow motion with tunnel vision and the body is dumping addrenaline like crazy so the less you have to manipulate controls on a purely defensive weapon the better.

Although you'll get MANY different opinions on this, I believe a DAO (double action only) trigger is also optimal for a defensive weapon. If a gun is a single action, then it takes too little preassure to pull the trigger. In a DAO gun (wether auto or revolver) it typically takes more pounds of preassure to pull the trigger and the trigger usually has to travel a longer distance (pull weight and lenght of pull) before the weaon discharges.

When you're all excited/scared, you don't want the lightest shortest pull. Those triggers are great for hunting or target shooting but not for defensive shooting.

The Kahr weapons are designed for one purpose, CCW. As a result they have the fewest possible controls and they're DAO, albiet probably the lightest shortest DAO out there.

The key to safety here (besides the longer pull lenght) is keeping the trigger covered in a good holster and keeping your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot your target.

CCW is a very different mentality. Follow the 4 rules and you'll never have a problem. Ignore 1 or more of the 4 rules and a safety won't be enough to keep you safe.

Welcome!
    +1!

Well stated, great advice IMO...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    It's much the same as carrying a revolver. Heavy, smooth, deliberate trigger pull needed to discharge. Get good leather that covers the trigger, and practice good trigger discipline.

Practice holstering and drawing with the gun empty. (TRIPLE CHECK!!) But don't carry without one in the pipe. You then just have a small hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    Quite a few popular carry guns do not have manual safetys. As long as you keep your finger off the trigger you're fine.

YEP! to both of these

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links