Safety for CCW

Safety for CCW

This is a discussion on Safety for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not have my CCP yet but I am planning on taking it within the next month. I am thinking about getting a Kahr ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety for CCW

Safety for CCW

I do not have my CCP yet but I am planning on taking it within the next month. I am thinking about getting a Kahr to carry but that model does not have a safety. This tends to bother me. Do people carry without one in the chamber or is this not a problem with a good holster?

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    It's much the same as carrying a revolver. Heavy, smooth, deliberate trigger pull needed to discharge. Get good leather that covers the trigger, and practice good trigger discipline.

Practice holstering and drawing with the gun empty. (TRIPLE CHECK!!) But don't carry without one in the pipe. You then just have a small hammer.
    Last edited by Arko; October 27th, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quite a few popular carry guns do not have manual safetys. As long as you keep your finger off the trigger you're fine.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I can appreciate your concern. If we grow up hunting with rifles and shot guns (or we're in the military) then we're constantly using and thinking about a safety, but I can assure you, for CCW a manual safety is less than optimal which isn't to say it's bad or anything, it's just not the best.

In defensive weapons handling, you're only deploying your weapon as a response to certain circumstances and basically when you pull it, it's with the full intention of having (and being prepared) to use it. In such a situation you have little time to think and you're immediately scared and the body startes to do things in response to the threat. Fine motor skills go out the door, we tend to go into slow motion with tunnel vision and the body is dumping addrenaline like crazy so the less you have to manipulate controls on a purely defensive weapon the better.

Although you'll get MANY different opinions on this, I believe a DAO (double action only) trigger is also optimal for a defensive weapon. If a gun is a single action, then it takes too little preassure to pull the trigger. In a DAO gun (wether auto or revolver) it typically takes more pounds of preassure to pull the trigger and the trigger usually has to travel a longer distance (pull weight and lenght of pull) before the weaon discharges.

When you're all excited/scared, you don't want the lightest shortest pull. Those triggers are great for hunting or target shooting but not for defensive shooting.

The Kahr weapons are designed for one purpose, CCW. As a result they have the fewest possible controls and they're DAO, albiet probably the lightest shortest DAO out there.

The key to safety here (besides the longer pull lenght) is keeping the trigger covered in a good holster and keeping your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot your target.

CCW is a very different mentality. Follow the 4 rules and you'll never have a problem. Ignore 1 or more of the 4 rules and a safety won't be enough to keep you safe.

Welcome!

A Kahr was my first handgun and I had many of the same concerns. I always carry with one in the chamber now. The Kahr has a long, smooth trigger pull, not unlike a revolver. If you buy a good holster and practice safe firearm handling you won't have a problem

I like the XD's grip and trigger safetys, no manual safety to disengage but still gives me a little added peace of mind
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Actually, there is a new PM9 model (PM9193 & PM9193N) that should be available now or in the very near future. These models DO have an external safety and a loaded chamber indicator.

I prefer my PM9 without these, but I suppose it is a good offering for folks worried about carrying a gun without a safety.

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

None of my CC weapons have a safety, the best safety you have is between your ears. Practice, practice, practice, if the finger does'nt pull the skinny lever the firearm will not go bang!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Striker fired pistols are designed to be carried with a round in the chamber. Using basic safety practices and a quality holster, carrying with a loaded chamber is perfectly safe.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dam294 View Post
    Actually, there is a new PM9 model (PM9193 & PM9193N) that should be available now or in the very near future. These models DO have an external safety and a loaded chamber indicator.

I prefer my PM9 without these, but I suppose it is a good offering for folks worried about carrying a gun without a safety.
    Made for those states that require a safety. Here it is...

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    None of my CC weapons have a safety, the best safety you have is between your ears. Practice, practice, practice, if the finger does'nt pull the skinny lever the firearm will not go bang!!
    Unless, of course, something else DOES pull the trigger.

Too many NDs have happened while holstering handguns, because folks don't take the time to ensure their holster is clear of clothing, etc.

I also do not like external manual safeties, for all the reasons stated. I run Glocks, and like the "trigger within a trigger" safety, which at least keeps the trigger from getting pulled by something that catches the edge of the trigger. Kahr lacks this feature.

That said, I treat my Glock with respect, because I know it WILL fire if the trigger is pulled while it is loaded. I'm OK with that. Keep the pistol in a holster that covers the trigger, take your time and pay attention while holstering, and you'll be ok!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have various firearms both with and without manual safeties. My Every Day Carry (EDC) is a Glock-36, and the safety on that is my finger. Isn't that always the last safety on the list?

Stay armed...it's a finger thing ...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry Glocks all the time, and I aint shot myself yet...nor anything else for a lack of manual safety.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    My EDC when I get my permit will more than likely be my SA-XD 9mmsc, and it doesn't have an external safety. It does have a grip safety and the double trigger (like Glocks), as well as a chamber indicator and a cocked indicator (Not that anyone should rely on them). Like everyone else has said, the basic safety rules and a good holster should be more than enough.

Now my girlfriend doesn't carry (yet...), but she keeps the Bersa .380cc near her while at the house. I like the external safety that it has for her, because while she knows the safety rules and doesn't handle the gun unless she really needs to, I just feel better.

VIP Member
    I have a CW9 that's been reliable since day1. The longer trigger pull of the Kahr, is more like that of a double action revolver, just not as heavy. Don't worry about external safeties...Only worry about the most important internal safety, your brain....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links