Reliability: Glock G26 vs Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Reliability: Glock G26 vs Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My EDC is a G19 and have no plans on changing, but I would like to get something smaller. I really dig the smaller size ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Reliability: Glock G26 vs Kahr PM9

Reliability: Glock G26 vs Kahr PM9

My EDC is a G19 and have no plans on changing, but I would like to get something smaller. I really dig the smaller size of the PM9, but the bigger size of the G26 isn't a deal breaker.

The thing that worries me is that it doesn't take long searching the net and you find a bunch of people that have had a bunch of problems with Kahr. But then theres a bunch that say they never had a problem...totally reliable.

Makes me feel like I'm a flipping a coin if I go with the Kahr. Am I wrong to think this?

What would you do ff you were in my situation G26 or PM9 and why? Also, cost should not be a determining factor.

2. Remove Ads

You are likely to pay $100 to $150 more for the PM9 than for the Glock 26 or a Springfield XD SC 9mm. From a utility and cost viewpoint the Glock 26 and XD SC 9 are much better buys. The Kahr is slightly smaller, but not all that much. Kahr recommends a break-in period to attain reliability (can't remember the number of rounds). For me, I expect no failures from the get go. If Glock is on your list, then get it.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

i don't know much about the kahr, shot some, but never own any. but a break in period has all ways been a deal breaker for me when i pay a high price for a hand gun. now i have a g26 and it did not need a break in period. it ran right out of the box. it has never gave me any problems, no matter the type of ammo and/or condition of the gun. come to think about it none of my glocks have given me any problems. so i would stay with the glock.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

It sounds like you already 'trust' a Glock-19, why not extend the dependability issues and get the Glock-26.

I have two Glocks...a 36, and a 26...I'll have them forever.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    How do you plan to carry?

I have a G33 (same size as the G26) and a PM9. I don't mind pocket carrying the PM9 but pocket carrying the G33 is another story. It can be done but it isn't nearly as comfy as with the PM9. The thinner PM9 is also easier to carry IWB. I really like my PM9, it's my EDC. I like the Glock a lot also but if I were forced to give one up *for concealed carry purposes*, the G33 would go. I feel the size difference is noticeable enough to give the PM9 the nod. I pocket carry a lot though.

As for reliability, I haven't had any problems with mine. It does take some time being broken because the little Kahr comes very tight from the factory. Just follow the manual for break-in and you should be fine. I've read that were issues with earlier ones so try to get a later serial # to help avoid any *possible* problems.

Just my two cents. There's a lot of Glock fans out there and I'm one of them. Love my little Kahr a lot also though.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It sounds like you already 'trust' a Glock-19, why not extend the dependability issues and get the Glock-26.

I have two Glocks...a 36, and a 26...I'll have them forever.
    The smaller size of the PM9 is enticing.

Our shop has never sent a Glock in for repair. We have sent 3 or 4 Kahrs for repair. A Friend has the Pm9 and loves it. I have a Glock 26, no complaints. As far as I see it its more size than anything. The Kahr is better in the pocket. My Glock holds more rounds. Thats why I bought it and carry it on or in the waist. I carry a J-Frame in my pocket to back it up. I rather have a J-Frame in the pocket. The only reason I bought the Glock was to have a hand full of bullets if I need them. I like revolvers better.

Are you really willing to give up more than 36% of your capacity? Unless you want it for pocket carry I think the G26 wins in every category -

- more reliable
    - digests almost any kind of ammo due to loose tolerances
    - 11 rounds vs. 7
    - faster followup shots (i.e. less recoil) due to extra weight, but still light enough for very comfortable carry
    - huge number of aftermarket parts
    - very easy to customize yourself

Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I own both handguns and both have been 100 percent for me, so in this case there is no difference. Both have some advantages and disadvantages when compaired to the other (overall size and weight vs capacity for example). But that being said if you told me I was going to likely run into trouble today and I had to pick one or the other of the two to carry, I likely would choose the G26. I personally would catergorize the PM9 is a subcompact (mousegun or pocket gun) and the Glock 26 a compact so its not a direct apples to apples comparison IMO. If size and concealment is the primary concern for you the Kahr is a good option. Kahr's are built very tight and some can be finicky at first before breakin but they are very well made handguns. My two have been flawless and I run all my guns long and hard, so its not a case of 100 rounds through the gun and then say "they are great and run flawless" as some have suggested. If you look on the web you will find some people have had bad experience with almost every make of gun including Glocks so take all advice with a large grain of salt. I personally think most Kahr issues are operator related to a large degree.

Last edited by pirate; October 28th, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

450 rounds thur my PM9 not one problem. I had the same fear as you
    but the Kahr is always on me now and my Glock 26 is now a "Safe Queen"

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I went through the same thing when I was looking for a smaller gun. The Kahr intrigued me, but I kept reading spotty reviews. After procrastinating for about two years, I finally bought a new CW-9 at a gun show, and after shooting 300 rounds through it, it's been absolutely flawless from day one. It has become my summer carry, and is even simple to pocket carry.

If I were about to spend $700-$800 for a Kahr, I'd be hesitant.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I have a Glock 27 and a Kahr MK9. Both have been flawless out of the box. The difference in size may not seem like that much, but as other posters have mentioned, the Kahr is much slimmer. It's much easier for me to carry the MK9 than the Glock 27.

So if you're worried about the reliability of the PM9, you can always buy the all steel version.

I have both a PM9 and a G26. You really need to hold both in your hands to see and feel the difference in size, and shoot them both too. I feel the recoil much more with the PM9 than with the G26. The Kahr is much easier to conceal, in a pocket or IWB. If maximum concealment is a priority, I carry the Kahr, although in a good IWB holster the G26 is not hard to conceal either.

My PM9 has been 100% reliable since the break-in, and the G26, as expected, has been 100% reliable out of the box.

They both have their pro's + cons, you just need to decide what's important to you. In any case, if you go with the Kahr, give it a good break-in, followed by at least a couple boxes of your carry ammo.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

I've owned three polymer Kahrs, including two PM9s. All had issues. Barrel peening. Slide peening. Failure to go into battery fully. Can't manually eject a dud JHP without getting a jam. Loose slide back. On and on and on...

According to feedback from other owners on the "Reliability polls" here (do a search) you have about a 40% chance of getting a bum Kahr. Bad odds, IMHO.

I have a G19, and a G26. I carry the G26 with a spare G19 mag in a Smartcarry every day. In thousands of rounds, the only issue was with one type of ammo (Winchester WinClean) during the Clinton AWB era (with 10-rd G19 mags). Issue was quickly fixed (new mag followers) for free. NO other issues of any kind. NONE.

There is NO comparison in reliability. Get the Glock.

Remember - A smart man may learn from his own mistakes, but a wise man learns from the mistakes of others. Don't make my mistakes.
    Chasejax likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I will echo what others have said.......but with a twist. I have owned the PM9 for about 5 years......love it, been a great gun and my EDC 95-99% of the time....

I wanted higher cap. Glock Reliability (for no reason since the Kahr for me has been 100% reliable).....so I bought a 26 (already owned a 19) thinking I too could pocket carry it, in cargo shorts here in Florida.....I can BUT it is WAY different the the PM9, and anyone who you tells you it is "only a little thicker" may be right when it comes to waist carry but not when it comes to pocket....

With my PM9 is feels like I have a pocket full of keys, the weight is there but almost zero bulk, with the G26, I feel like I have a small Websters Dictionary stuffed in my pocket. Hard to explain but with the PM9 there is "flop" in the pocket, witht he G26, there is no room to budge, it is stuffed in there.

So, for me (pricing aside), I would hands down say the Kahr "for pocket if that is what you want" but the G26 for any other mode of carry. If I am going to waist, then I would select a slew of other guns rather than a 6 or 7 round 9MM, like a higher cap 9 or a bigger bore 40/45. My 2 cents. Good luck to ya, they are both great guns but they are for a different niche.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links