Bersa and Firestorm Pistols

This is a discussion on Bersa and Firestorm Pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is anyone carring a Bersa or Firestorm pistol for self defence?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bersa and Firestorm Pistols

Is anyone carring a Bersa or Firestorm pistol for self defence?

Absolutely!
    Their .380s are the most popular of the Bersas, but the UC9 Pro is
    also a great gun.
    I've owned two .380s but when the bullets became hard to find I
    sold them and picked up a UC9 Pro to make the move to 9MM
    to cut cost on ammo stocking.(I have an assortment of 9mm CCWs)
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I had the Bersa Thunder and it's couterpart Firestorm for a while, but I found them lacking, of lower quality than I desire in a CCW. A nice gun to have for range fun but not to count on. That's my view, but lots of people like them.

Funny thing is 15-20 years nobody would even admit to owning a Bersa, let alone carry one. They were in the same group as Davis, Lorcin, Cobra etc.... I must say they have come a long way!! I even own a Thunder and it has never let me down. I carry the P232SL instead of the Bersa just because I have it, but I surely can't say not to buy one!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I had the Bersa Thunder and it's couterpart Firestorm for a while, but I found them lacking, of lower quality than I desire in a CCW. A nice gun to have for range fun but not to count on. That's my view, but lots of people like them.
    Same here.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I have a model 83 bersa (380acp) that I carry on occassion. It functions reliably and I have never had an issue with it. No ftf's and it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. It would be nice if the detractors could give some details. Lack of quality does not really tell anyone about your experience with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I have a model 83 bersa (380acp) that I carry on occassion. It functions reliably and I have never had an issue with it. No ftf's and it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. It would be nice if the detractors could give some details. Lack of quality does not really tell anyone about your experience with the gun.
    I too have a model 83 Bersa. Very nice handgun. Solid and reliable. Looking to get a Thunder UC Pro in 9mm within the next month to be my fall/winter/spring carry gun.

Bersa/Firestorm is quickly being recognized for making well made weapons with desirable features at a great price!
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

OK. I bought a Bersa Thunder .380 in Feb. 2008. Initially it would jam on the last round or next to last round of almost every mag. Of the first 10 mags it jammed on 9. Other owners were having this same problem. After a trip to a warranty repair center it was better - it only jammed on every third mag. After the next trip to a different warranty center - it stopped jamming - but my confidence in the gun was shot. Then came the disconnector spring issue. The failure of this small spring disables the trigger. Do a search on "bersa disconnector spring" and you will find all the details you want. I could not determine if my gun was likely to have a bad disconnector spring - and did not want to bother with another trip to the warranty center - so I just don't carry it.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    It would be nice if the detractors could give some details. Lack of quality does not really tell anyone about your experience with the gun.
    I'm not sure my post qualified as being detracting. I stated it was a fun range gun. Confidence in a CCW is a whole different thing. IMO there are higher quality guns made... not all guns are created equal, and IMO the Bersa is on the second tier, below some other manufacturers. You are free to differ.

But since you asked...it has been several years but what I remember is that;

* The pistol was difficult to disassemble...the lever never seemed to rotate quite all the way. It is somewhat awkward to hold the grip, lever and remove the slide when it doesn't properly operate. I call that a quality control issue.

* The grip rattled ...it just drove me nuts. I call that a quality control issue.

* The grip screws kept coming out. A proper screw shouldn't be hard to make. I call that a quality control issue.

* It seemed to wear quickly, normal wear is expected but my gun seemed to have accellerated wear. I blamed it on less than stellar steel. I have several Berettas that had thousands more rounds through them that looked to be in better condition. I call that a quality control issue.

* It came with only one mag. At $40 for another that explains much of the low price. Add the $40 mag to the $225 price for the Bersa and that $315 Sig P232, with 3 mags, that I bought and still use, begins to look like a downright bargain!

* Magazines were all but impossible to obtain. In a out of production gun I can see but not one popular and currently being produced.

* The safety/decocker was rough, nothing elegant or well machined about it. I call that a quality control issue.

* I own lots of .380s. In direct, side by side comparison to some of my other pistols, the Bersa is clearly not as well made or machined as well or user friendly. I had no problem with the function... the gun did work...I just didn't have the same confidence in it as I did the Beretta, which is the same size and weight as the Bersa. To this day I still use a Sig now and again. The Sig is a full 5 ounces less in weight yet holds the same number of rounds.

* Price is not a consideration in my carry guns. The Bersa is less expensive than top tier guns, yes, but IMHO you get what you pay for.

I've carried the Bersa Thunder .380 quite a bit. It's small and light. Easy to shoot and accurate. Makes me feel like James Bond, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I'm not sure my post qualified as being detracting. I stated it was a fun range gun. Confidence in a CCW is a whole different thing. IMO there are higher quality guns made... not all guns are created equal, and IMO the Bersa is on the second tier, below some other manufacturers. You are free to differ.

But since you asked...it has been several years but what I remember is that;

* The pistol was difficult to disassemble...the lever never seemed to rotate quite all the way. It is somewhat awkward to hold the grip, lever and remove the slide when it doesn't properly operate. I call that a quality control issue.

* The grip rattled ...it just drove me nuts. I call that a quality control issue.

* The grip screws kept coming out. A proper screw shouldn't be hard to make. I call that a quality control issue.

* It seemed to wear quickly, normal wear is expected but my gun seemed to have accellerated wear. I blamed it on less than stellar steel. I have several Berettas that had thousands more rounds through them that looked to be in better condition. I call that a quality control issue.

* It came with only one mag. At $40 for another that explains much of the low price. Add the $40 mag to the $225 price for the Bersa and that $315 Sig P232, with 3 mags, that I bought and still use, begins to look like a downright bargain!

* Magazines were all but impossible to obtain. In a out of production gun I can see but not one popular and currently being produced.

* The safety/decocker was rough, nothing elegant or well machined about it. I call that a quality control issue.

* I own lots of .380s. In direct, side by side comparison to some of my other pistols, the Bersa is clearly not as well made or machined as well or user friendly. I had no problem with the function... the gun did work...I just didn't have the same confidence in it as I did the Beretta, which is the same size and weight as the Bersa. To this day I still use a Sig now and again. The Sig is a full 5 ounces less in weight yet holds the same number of rounds.

* Price is not a consideration in my carry guns. The Bersa is less expensive than top tier guns, yes, but IMHO you get what you pay for.
    The only issue I have with Bersa .380 CC is it's expensive to shoot and hard to find ammo. I paid $310 for it a year ago and have less than 500 rounds through it but I never had a problem with feeding. I bought two extra magazines for it at $15 each plus a few bucks for shipping. The gun might be hard for some to break down but I looked at it as a learning process. Each gun breaks down a little different but once mine loosened up it was a lot easier. Nothing ever came looe on my gun but I did get some rust inside the grip but it was easily dispatched (pun intended). The rust came from carrying in a WRB holster in the dead of summer... sweat + steel = rust. All that took was taking off the grips and wiping the rusty, sweaty film from inside the handle and then re-oiled. The safety/decocker is a little rougher than my Beretta but it only gets used twice a day, once when I put the gun in my holster (safety off) and when I get home (safety on). Important thing is it goes bang when I pull the little curved lever.

Oh, and can't see any wear... but then again, it only has less than 500 rounds through it and no rattles.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

I carry a Thunder .380 in a tuck-able holster when I am in a shirt and tie and going to meetings. I love shooting it when I can find the ammo probably have 1500 rounds+ through it had the retention spring come off 1 time thats the only problem ever.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I own handguns by most of the well know makers including Ruger, SIG, S&W, Glock, Kahr, Colt, CZ and many others. I also have a (Bersa) Mini Firestorm Pro 45. Is it as well finished and refined as a $600 gun....no, does it go bang every time the trigger is pulled and handle well....yes it does. These are not cheap junk guns. Relatively inexpensive guns yes, big difference. They are made from quality materials and are well put together but like I said earlier just not as highly finished and polished as more expensive top tier guns. They offer a lot of bang for the buck. I found this one used for $215. Its a good shooting and handling .45 and there is a lot to like about it.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have a Bersa Model 95 in .380. It is tight, shoots well (and accurately) and works first time, every time. IT does everything the Walther does at about 1/3 the price. (I bought it used, and have absolutely NO complaints whatsoever).

I use the piece to "take out the trash". (In MY neighborhood, it can be a lifesaver)! Let's face it, when there are meth-heads all over the neighborhood, and convenience-store holdups becoming increasingly commonplace, you are foolish to take pointless chances.

Take this for what it is worth.

A pal and I could not decide between buying the new Ruger .380 LCP and the .380 Bersa Thunder; so we talked each other into buying both! I'm glad that we were more sensible than those female folks who go and look at clothes. The little Ruger sits here in a plastic organizer thing on top of my living room end table. The Bersa is bigger and fits the hand better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links