.45 or 9mm?

This is a discussion on .45 or 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; from the OP.... "There are some basic considerations that the man of the house will be the primary shooter, but his wife may also need ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 or 9mm?

from the OP.... "There are some basic considerations that the man of the house will be the primary shooter, but his wife may also need to be able to fire it."
    A long gun in tight conditions, inexperienced shooter, good luck with that.

Like other posters, I strongly disagree with the Glock 36 recommendation, which is a powerful caliber in a small (than thus harder to control package). It's about the last .45 I would give to a small inexperienced shooter.
    Some trips to the range are in order I'm thinkin.... .45 recoil more than a 9mm sure, enough to scare the ladies off though, get real. Plenty of ladies out there big and small using the round everyday. If the lady is so inexperienced that she cant fire the weapon, for gods sake keep it and all guns away from her before she kills one of the ones she's tryin to protect.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    A long gun in tight conditions, inexperienced shooter, good luck with that.
    No one is suggesting a 30" trap gun. I would think we are all considering a 18-20" HD gun.

Now the pistol backup is a bad plan because of the training required to switch platforms efficiently, but for strict HD... You can't so wrong with an 870.

Plus a pistol is far harder to aim than a long gun, especially under duress.

Whatever caliber you choose you want a full sized pistol for any pistol in a home defense scenario. The full length of the barrel makes all the difference in the ballistics of your hollowpoint of choice. It isnt so much an accuracy issue as it is a recoil and ft/lbs of energy dumped into target issue.

Magnums and 10mm will over penetrate and if you live in an appartment that could be deadly to a neighbor. .45 tends to have low muzzle velocity but gets amazing ballistic performance out of guns with 5" barrels. 9MM loses on ballistics but gains on capacity. 9MM also tends penetrate farther than .45 and has much higher muzzle velocity.

My advice is to MASTER home defense with a .45 and ALSO get a 9MM. The 9MM might need to be your friend's first weapon so that he can get his wife involved. If his wife cant handle a Glock 21SF then get a Glock 17 and get a couple of 33 round clips for home defense.

As noted above your primary home defense weapon should be a Remmington 870 (18")or a Mossberg 590 (20") with extended magazines, sidesaddle and a tactical flashlight attached. No matter what he chooses, he AND his wife need to train extensively with the weapon

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    No one is suggesting a 30" trap gun. I would think we are all considering a 18-20" HD gun.

Now the pistol backup is a bad plan because of the training required to switch platforms efficiently, but for strict HD... You can't so wrong with an 870.

Plus a pistol is far harder to aim than a long gun, especially under duress.
    With training, I 100% agree... Not experienced though I think the hand gun would be easier to deploy. I can't understand why folks think, to a inexperienced shooter, that a larger more difficult pump action shot gun would be a better choice. Again in the hands of an experienced gun person yes, but to a none gun using female I say no way... I am using my own personal experience here. My wife has tried the two and by far would rather have the handgun, for sheer weight and ease of use, is what she said to me. Oh, and my wife has a .40 cal at home in her safe on the nightstand. I not only recommend it, I live by it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Ignoring the shotgun foofooraw, and focusing on the pistols, yes, absolutely, take them to the range and let them shoot.

For .45, and for a HD pistol, I'd recommend the 1911 platform, 5" Gov't model to be exact. The slim grips tend to be a good fit with smaller hands, the weight keeps recoil down, and they tend to be accurate and reliable pistols.

For 9mm...if a Glock 17 or 34 works for her, you really couldn't go wrong. If not...my recommendations would lean towards a Hk P30, P226, or M92. All reliable, proven perfomers.

(BTW--my recommendation for a HD long gun for someone who is recoil sensitive is a M1 carbine...flame away)
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I think the answer is the same for every new shooter. Go to the range and rent a couple of guns in each caliber and let them make their own decision.
    I think this is right on the money. While we can all get into the old calibers wars again, and we can all tell you what our opinion and favorite guns are, what good is that really for these people you are helping?

The fact is, instead of steering them toward the gun we tell you is best, why not let them just shoot several guns and decide themselves? Whether the wife can handle a .45 will be determined when she shoots one. Whether a particular gun is best in their hands will also be determined by shooting.

The only thing you really can do is explain the the different calibers and why one caliber or type of firearm may be better for home defense, but let the specific firearm be their decision in the end.

my .02...

I think a 9mm would be what I personally would suggest. .45's recoil is considerably harder, but actually, I experience much more recoil out of a .40 than a .45. To reinforece an earlier post, 9mm rounds are generally easier to come by than .45 (at least in my area) and are also considerably cheaper. The extra mag capacity of the 9mm more than makes up for the lack of power coimpared to the .45; and face the facts, they're new and don't act too interested in practicing, so high cap mags seem better because, god forbid, if they have to use their weapon, they're going to miss...alot.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

VIP Member
    hold on....I need to put 3 more bags of
    and some
    ok

before you recommend a caliber or form of weapon...
    do they want only 1 firearm now, period, for HD
    if so then choice of shotgun vs handgun is recommended to start with
    if shotgun....mossberg 500 or Remington 870 home defense models are fairly inexpensive and well worth the money, will have to consider her being small--can she handle shotty even if its 20ga

next....if they want a handgun only or in addition to shotty, then they BOTH need to get guns in their hands to try out before dropping money on a purchase, you say she is little so a handgun will have to fit her hand as well as his if they are to share....if each getting their own then so be it
    next....and this is OMO....9mm should be smallest for semi-auto and .38 spec for a wheelie, but let them see different models and find something that fits their hand, if possible get em on a range where they can try different models

on suggestion standpoint.....Hows about a G19 or 17 for him and a 26 for her....they can share ammo and mags, easy to learn to shoot and they work the same, now back to our regularly scheduled programming

need to consider that if she has small hands that a small .38 may not be the best idea, might be better to get a pistol such as G26 or 19 or similar sized Sig, etc; if she can grab it ok with her hands, will handle recoil better and she'll enjoy shooting it more

so many things to consider, but it all starts with them getting their hands on something to make sure it feels right in the hands and can properly reach everything like mag releases, etc easily

after that then 9, 40, 45, .38 whatever....practice training practice training practice.............
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Ah, caliber wars. Step on up and spin the wheel!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Any caliber will work...if it starts with a "4" and ends with a "5"...

OK, continue on...

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Well, personally...

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Shottgun over pistol

Yeaes ago sister in law home with new born mid day man comes in throught the back door gets shoot gun from the bed room never shoot but racked befor rack pointed and shoot she went back in to the wall behind her,sister law 80#maybe end of story .A hole biganuf toto see the wall be hind him sister in law 1 bg 0

Hard to say with novices to handguns. Strictly home defense still means using something you can hit with and hit what you intend to with it. In the home pretty much means close quarters, more so than the close quarters scenarios we mainly think of when carrying concealed out on the streets. If I were to think strictly in terms of an HD specific pistol, and if I were to take myself back almost 30 years, then it would probably end up being a basic Colt 1911A1 45acp. I would still take the pistol over the shotgun for the primary defense, especially for the inexperienced.

What about Taurus's 45/.410 shorty, The Judge? Best of both worlds. I 6 shooter revolver that takes .410 shells. Fill it with a few of those in the first rounds then a couple of hollow point .45s to make sure he never gets back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Hard to say with novices to handguns. Strictly home defense still means using something you can hit with and hit what you intend to with it. In the home pretty much means close quarters, more so than the close quarters scenarios we mainly think of when carrying concealed out on the streets. If I were to think strictly in terms of an HD specific pistol, and if I were to take myself back almost 30 years, then it would probably end up being a basic Colt 1911A1 45acp. I would still take the pistol over the shotgun for the primary defense, especially for the inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by archimeech View Post
    What about Taurus's 45/.410 shorty, The Judge? Best of both worlds. I 6 shooter revolver that takes .410 shells. Fill it with a few of those in the first rounds then a couple of hollow point .45s to make sure he never gets back up.
    The .410 rounds...great against snakes, not so great against larger varmints. Birdshot would be useless for SD; and the buckshot rounds that I've seen out of them have questionable accuracy, and I would suspect less than adequate penetration due to lack of velocity out of the shorter barrel.

The .45Colt rounds, sure...but then just get a revolver in .45Colt, instead of that huge honkin' tank of a pistol...

Personally, I think the Judge is kinda a gimmick gun.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links