.45 or 9mm? - Page 3

.45 or 9mm?

This is a discussion on .45 or 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by medicineball If this is strictly for home defense, forget a pistol. Use a simple pump action shotgun with "low-recoil defense" loads, and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .45 or 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by medicineball View Post
    If this is strictly for home defense, forget a pistol. Use a simple pump action shotgun with "low-recoil defense" loads, and any adult will be able to handle it.
    I'm sure this is great advice for some, but quite frankly, many of us don't want something as huge as a shotgun around. I have a child and although she goes and shoots with me and knows all the gun safety rules and is quite level headed, I can't be 100% sure that somebody that she has over won't find a shotgun if it is in the house. I have a GunVault Multi and I can stuff about a half dozen pistols in there and have very quick access. If I had a shotgun, I would absolutely have to also have a safe big enough to put it in and I don't really want that.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBWOODS6721 View Post
    Yeaes ago sister in law home with new born mid day man comes in throught the back door gets shoot gun from the bed room never shoot but racked befor rack pointed and shoot she went back in to the wall behind her,sister law 80#maybe end of story .A hole biganuf toto see the wall be hind him sister in law 1 bg 0
    I sure wish I knew what you just said.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    hold on....I need to put 3 more bags of
    and some
    ok

<<SNIP>>

on suggestion standpoint.....Hows about a G19 or 17 for him and a 26 for her....they can share ammo and mags, easy to learn to shoot and they work the same, now back to our regularly scheduled programming

need to consider that if she has small hands that a small .38 may not be the best idea, might be better to get a pistol such as G26 or 19 or similar sized Sig, etc; if she can grab it ok with her hands, will handle recoil better and she'll enjoy shooting it more

so many things to consider, but it all starts with them getting their hands on something to make sure it feels right in the hands and can properly reach everything like mag releases, etc easily

after that then 9, 40, 45, .38 whatever....practice training practice training practice.............
    Pass the popcorn, if you would...

For carry, sure--but iirc, they are looking for a HD pistol, not carry; in that case, since a G26 grip isn't really smaller than a G17--just shorter--why not get a full-size pistol, with higher capacity and increased sight radius?

I will agree with that a snub .38 would not be a good choice; if you go with a .38, go for at least the 4" barrel models...

Hey...here's an idea...what about a S&W 625? .45acp, a revolver, slim/smaller grips available, fairly heavy for recoil reduction...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member
    For a new shooter, I would give high praise to the Ruger SR-9. A high capacity 9-mm auto loader. It won't break the bank, it's rock solid, it has a manual safety--which will bring peace of mind to a new shooter.

I would avoid 1911 type guns for a new shooter, they can take some smith work to get them to run, and I would believe the "cocked and locked" may make someone unfamiliar to guns edgy. The striker fired gun is simple to shoot, no cocking, same trigger pull each time.

9-mm is ample to get the job done, and won't cost an arm and leg training. What more could you ask for in a gun???

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

If they are not going to be regular shooters and take their handgun to the range for regular practice, I'd forget about using a pistol. I shoot as much as I can and I practice technique daily, but if push comes to shove, I would use a shotgun. My home defense weapon is a Remington 870 Youth Model. It is a 20 guage, it is light, short, and my wife who rarely shoots is comfortable with it.

If you want a back-up, get another 870 or a Stoeger Double barrel Coach gun. I strongly advise a shotgun for this family.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Shoot whatever you can shoot BEST.....this debate is as old as the hills and twice as dusty...............
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    For carry, sure--but iirc, they are looking for a HD pistol, not carry; in that case, since a G26 grip isn't really smaller than a G17--just shorter--why not get a full-size pistol, with higher capacity and increased sight radius?
    because she is a small lady......getting her prepped for carry
    that and the 26 for her is lighter than the 17 for him, and was just a suggestion, if they only want one for HD....19
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by DBWOODS6721 View Post
    Yeaes ago sister in law home with new born mid day man comes in throught the back door gets shoot gun from the bed room never shoot but racked befor rack pointed and shoot she went back in to the wall behind her,sister law 80#maybe end of story .A hole biganuf toto see the wall be hind him sister in law 1 bg 0
    Huh?

Dirty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtysanchez View Post
    Originally Posted by DBWOODS6721 View Post
    Huh?

Dirty

If my translating skills are in order....I believe he said that a few years ago his sister-in-law was at home alone in the middle of the day. All of a sudden a man breaks through the back door. She reacted by getting the shotgun which she'd never shot before but had previously racked at some point. She then shot the dirtbag making a window of his chest and the recoil sent the 80 pound sister-in-law into the wall which she was standing in front of.
    He tallies the score at: sister-in-law 1--dirtbag 0
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Kudos Tx!!

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    My wife's is also very small. She isn't comfortable with my G19 or G26. The width of the grip makes it necessary for her to turn her hand in order to reach the trigger, causing a bad shooting grip. The only guns she has been happy with so far are a S&W 642 and a Kahr CW9. She has no problem handling the 642 with +P loads. She'll shoot mostly std. .38's for practice and end the session with a cylinder full of +P's. She says they hurt her hand, but if someone's trying to hurt her, she won't even notice it.

As for shotguns, she is able to handle a youth model 20ga. 870, better than the 12ga.
    My wife will shoot whatever she can get to first. But her goto heater is a SW642. Funny thing though, when we go to the range all she wants to shoot is my HK USP .45Tac
    American Bulldog, HK USPf.45Tac, HK45,
    HK USPc .45ss, SW-642ct, Sig556

(The Phantom Brigade)
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division

Per what you said, just for household defense not carry,he will be primary and she will be secondary with fear of recoil!
    I'd go with a Springfield Mil-Spec .45......... a 9mm will have to much over penetration for an apartment or house and go,thru walls so thats out! A steel 45 will not over penetrate and will not give your wife a case of bad recoil,my 5'1 119lb wife loves shooting my government model 1911,It's her favorite pistol to shoot. That's my 2 cents for what its worth!

First of all, I think all calibers should be a consideration. .45 or 9mm only is just so much bunk. Size of the person has little to do with handling recoil.

I know a 15 year old girl, 5'4" and about 110 lbs shoots a .45 acp in Jr. Class competition. And wins guns at those competitions! Her 17 year old brother is the same way, only a bit beefier as far as size goes. They started out shooting silhouette competition with air rifles and .22's and within 3 years they were shooting Jr. Class IPSC type competition.

The gun should be in a common, proven defensive round. Ideally, the largest caliber they can shoot accurately and consistently.

Also, one size firearm doesn't fit all. If money isn't a huge consideration, then ideally they should each have their own firearm instead of forcing her to accept his ideal gun or vice verse.

Also, why do you say they probably won't need to carry concealed? They both leave the house don't they?

Once you start to limit peoples options for them, you're just foisting your own biases on someone else. It may work out OK, or they may get stuck with something totally unsuitable for them in the long run.

Buying a tool which you may one day rely on to save your life is a very personal thing. It should be carefully considered and fitted to the individual if they are going to want to shoot it enough to become competent with it and confident enough that they won't hesitate to use it. The last thing you want to do is leave them with an expensive paperweight. Especially when dealing with novices.

Unless they are under physical threat from some whack job, it really isn't imperative they have a gun now. They really should take plenty of time to get acquainted with guns, learn as much as possible, and find the one(s) which suits them best.

The best way to go about that, is to see that they are provided the opportunity to try as many different weapon types and platforms in as many different calibers as possible. Either renting different guns at a gun range; or to shoot those which belong to friends of different styles and calibers.

Also attending first, a basic pistol course and then a defensive handgun course in order to receive some professional instruction so as not to set any bad habits from the start.

Some people actually end up shooting revolvers a lot better than they do semi-automatics. I have a friend like that. He loves my semi-autos. Glocks, XD's, 1911's but he just flat out shoots a Ruger Speed Six better.

The best thing for you to do is to encourage them to do some research, allow them to shoot any guns you may have and if you can be objective regarding your advice, help explain to the some of the differences between revolvers vs. semi-automatics, some of the pro's and con's of each and help them locate a decent place where they can enroll in a basic pistol course.

JMHO. YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Some here will prefer revolvers. Some will like pistols and some will tell you a shotgun is a good self defense firearm.

If and when an assailant enters your house, chances are you will be sleeping. Your response time before the BG puts a knife to your throat or a gun to your your head can be a matter of seconds.

A shotgun is good if you have the time to pull it out of the corner of your bed room but chances are you will not have that necessary time. In that situation, a baseball bat might work equally well as any shotgun.

A good hunting knife at the bed side could possibly be very effective.

I have a problem with most revolvers. The trigger pull is normally just too much when you you are half asleep.

I would recommend a 9mm double stack pistol. Chances are and statistics have it such that in a gun fight even LEO's often unload the entire 15 or 16 round magazine without thinking about it, except to defend themselves. The Sig Sauer P250 would be a good choice for this. Shoot until the BG goes down.

I personally keep a 1911 .45- 5" at my side. It is custom and has a 3.5 lb. trigger pull. Kimber TLE/RL II. What I can't hit will scare the CRA* out of an assailant. If hit, he is going down with 3 at most.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    The .410 rounds...great against snakes, not so great against larger varmints. Birdshot would be useless for SD; and the buckshot rounds that I've seen out of them have questionable accuracy, and I would suspect less than adequate penetration due to lack of velocity out of the shorter barrel.

The .45Colt rounds, sure...but then just get a revolver in .45Colt, instead of that huge honkin' tank of a pistol...

Personally, I think the Judge is kinda a gimmick gun.
    I agree with you about the Judge as being sort of a gimmick gun, and agree with the birdshot statement if you are talking about shooting it from a pistol. However it would be hard to miss your target if you are pointing it in the general direction.

But if the birdshot comes from a long gun then that's a different story. It may or may not cause immediate death but it will get the defense job done. Period. I know of more than one story where an intruder was killed or lost a limb from a shotgun with birdshot in my town alone.
    Aim Small - Miss Small

Quote Originally Posted by edthefox View Post
    However it would be hard to miss your target if you are pointing it in the general direction.
    The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

Why would that be?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links