"pot metal" or "plastic?

This is a discussion on "pot metal" or "plastic? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pot Metal: A cheap zinc alloy used for figurines and an assundry of other junk items such as guns with the brands Bryco, Jennings, Jimienz, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "pot metal" or "plastic?

Pot Metal: A cheap zinc alloy used for figurines and an assundry of other junk items such as guns with the brands Bryco, Jennings, Jimienz, etc.

2. Remove Ads

First would be a Bulgarian Makarov and the second, a Keltec PF9 or p3at. Obviously, the Keltec with its light weight and slim lines would be easier to pocket carry, but that is not my biggest need. In a self defense situation considering caliber, reliability, etc. which one would you pick up first and why?
    Makarovs are not "pot metal".

Personally, I'd go with a Makarov (though, at this point I am "transitioning" away from Maks, and am down to one). I've never heard of anyone needing to do a "fluff and buff" to get a Mak reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    I'd trust a Makarov over any pistol that says "Kel-Tec" on it, simply because of the reputation of durability and reliability.
    Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Makarovs are not "pot metal".

Personally, I'd go with a Makarov (though, at this point I am "transitioning" away from Maks, and am down to one). I've never heard of anyone needing to do a "fluff and buff" to get a Mak reliable.

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post, but I have not had a "fluff and buff" done to my Kel-Tec P-3at. I brought the brand new gun home, took it out of the box. Disassembled, checked the barrel for any obstructions, made sure that nothing appeared to be broken or misaligned, Reassembled, loaded the magazine with full metal jacket and let them fly at my home range. I think that the bad rep for Kel-Tecs are from the earlier models. From what I have heard from other people (at local gun shops and shooting ranges) the current generation of guns are much superior that the older models. I don't want to start a argument about the quality of Kel-Tecs, but I keep seeing them bashed as junk when my personal experience tells me otherwise.

I clean my guns after every shooting and I take down and clean my P-3at at least once every two week to clean out lint from pocket carry including disassembling the two magazines that I carry (one in gun and a backup.).

I have no personal experience with Maks so I cannot give you any advise that way. I can just say that I love my P-3at and I have never had any problems with it.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

The Mak would get my choice as I prefer a heavier gun for recoil control and quick second shot sight alignment. Plus the 9x18 is a lot easier to find right now than most 380acp ammo.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Pirate,
    "Commie pot metal" was used in a very good article written by Stephen A Camp on the Makarov being used as a self defense pistol.
    The Case FOR the Defensive Makarov... - Family, Friends, Firearms

When you talk about a 'Bulgerian Makarov', you are actually talking about a Soviet-bloc Walther PPK look-alike chambered for 9mm Makarov. These were produced all over the Evil Empire for military and police use. None of these Commie pistols was made with inferior materials; they were designed and built for serious work. Except for the FEG PA-63 (light weight alloy frame), all of then are made of very good steel.

I have both a P-3AT and a PF-9 and love them. They are at the top of the power to weight ratio, and both are a joy to carry. That 'plastic' is actually very sophisticated space age material. KelTec is within tobacco-spitting distance of the Kennedy Space Center, so there is no surprise that they use cutting edge materials and manufacturing techniques.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    When you talk about a 'Bulgerian Makarov', you are actually talking about a Soviet-bloc Walther PPK look-alike chambered for 9mm Makarov.
    While the Makarov and Walther PP series have some similarities like blowback design, fixed barrel and double/single action and general overall size the Makarov is certainly not a clone or really a look alike of the PPK. The Makarov pistol take down is very similar. You pull down the front of the trigger guard to initiate disassembly on either the Walther or the Makarov, but aside from this feature it’s a completely different internal design and the Makarov is far simpler and generally more reliable design. Many consider the Makarov design the most reliable semiauto design ever produced.

The Makarov has a total of 27 parts. A German Walther PP series whether it is a PP, PPK, or PPK/S contains more than 46 parts. That’s a big difference in design and shows how un-alike they are internally. They may look a like to the some who are not that familiar with these guns because of size and general shape/appearance but those who own them both know they are not that much a like. The FEG PA63, the .380 Bersa's and even the Polish P64 are much more PP/PPK like.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links