"pot metal" or "plastic?

This is a discussion on "pot metal" or "plastic? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I am in the market for a carry piece for summer and throw in your pocket and go. I don't want to spend a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "pot metal" or "plastic?

"pot metal" or "plastic?

So, I am in the market for a carry piece for summer and throw in your pocket and go. I don't want to spend a fortune, but want a reliable piece. I have done my research and have narrowed it down to two guns on opposite sides of the spectrum. First would be a Bulgarian Makarov and the second, a Keltec PF9 or p3at. Obviously, the Keltec with its light weight and slim lines would be easier to pocket carry, but that is not my biggest need. In a self defense situation considering caliber, reliability, etc. which one would you pick up first and why?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    A Makarov is pretty heavy for pocket carry. It's intent was to be holstered. The smaller the better, so of those three the .380 is the most appropriate for your use, IMO.

The PF9 is in my pocket right now. I trust my life and my familes in it firing everytime I pull the trigger. 9mm is the lowest caliber I would go. It's also one of the cheapest (when you can find it).
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I prefer plastic to pot metal. I've tried the PF9 at the local gun shop...never shot it. Out of the three you listed, I'd go with it if I had to.

VIP Member
    I agree with Ram Rod. I have handled both the Kel-Tec's, but have only shot a p3at. If I had to chose I'd pick the pf9.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I bought a PF9 a few weeks ago and love it. Get a good holster and you won't even know you're carrying it. Recoil's a little sharp but you'll get used to it.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've had the P3AT for over a year. It's in my pocket nearly every day. Have fired over 100 rounds with no problems other than it's not a very comfortable range shooter, but that's not why I carry it.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    To my knowledge no Makarov uses "Pot Metal". So its really Metal versus plastic. I like metal, so I vote Makarov. Still if weight is an issue then Keltec is fine.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    You need to do some more research. Bulgarian Makarov's, or Russian or East German for that matter are certainly not made with Pot Metal. Thet are very well made all quality steel handguns. Simple (only 27 part), extremely reliable and tough. Maybe you were thinking of Hi Point handguns, now thats pot metal (zinc alloy). You should also consider the CZ82. They are possibly the best value going today in a modern 12 round capacity handgun witha polygonal rifled barrel. Very well made all steel gun and its a CZ! You can get they for around $250 retail, as low as $199 if you have a C&R FFL. makarov 9X18 ammo is relatively cheap and avalible everywhere online.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Pot metal was actually just a saying they used for Russian war guns. Sorry if it offended anyone

I have a P-3at and I love it. The gun is reliable. Several hundred rounds through it and the only problems I had was in the first 50 rounds (break in). I have fed to FMJ and hollow-points. I know some people have had problems with Kel-Tecs, but I haven't had any at all. I am planning on buying more Kel-Tec products so we will see how they do.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

All of the aforementioned pistols are fine. If weight is a primary consideration, I would suggest that you look into the Kel Tec PF9. This is not a "range" gun, but a "save your ***** in a pinch" pistol! Remember: Sight it in, make certain where the handgun groups with self-defense ammunition, and shoot it periodically with range ammunition periodically to "keep your hand in it".

Conceal it well, make certain that it is available when needed, and "keep your powder dry".

Good shooting,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    Pot metal was actually just a saying they used for Russian war guns. Sorry if it offended anyone
    I've been around guns and gun collectors all of my life, and have never heard anyone with an ounce of knowledge about Russian firearms refer to them as "pot metal." Pot metal is a common slang term to refer to cheap metal with a low melting point. Makarovs in particular are all-steel, tough, reliable guns. Definitely NOT pot metal.

I'd trust a Makarov over any pistol that says "Kel-Tec" on it, simply because of the reputation of durability and reliability. Being a fixed barrel/blowback design only enhances the reliability aspect. That being said, lots of people love their Kel-Tecs, and they do excel as pocket pistols due to their light weight and smaller size. I'd go PF-9 before I'd go with the .380. It's cheaper, and is a more powerful round.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Never shot a Mak but my Kel-Tec P11 has been 100% reliable, I carried it most of this year. I replaced it with a Glock 19 this week. Now that I’m comfortable with carrying all the time, I find I can conceal a full size just as easily as a sub compact.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    I did not take any offense and I am not trying to offend you either in this case but I been a milsurp collector for 30 years and own 20 or so Russian or Russian designed guns including many Mosin Nagant rifles, SKS's, Takarev, 1895 Nagant and Makarov pistols and I have never heard them called or referred to as pot metal guns. Who is They you refer too? Certainly not milsurp collectors, military historians or shooters. As metro 40 stated above pot metal is a soft low melting point metal and usually in guns its a zinc alloy of some type.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links