Need Help and Suggestions on a small 45

This is a discussion on Need Help and Suggestions on a small 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I have canned a idea I had to buy a AR-15 for the time being and as such I have a few hundred on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help and Suggestions on a small 45

Need Help and Suggestions on a small 45

Hello,

I have canned a idea I had to buy a AR-15 for the time being and as such I have a few hundred on deposit at my local gun store. I would rather have a small concealable 45 at the present time.

I WANT rather than NEED this gun so it may not be carried, but I want the option to if I decide.

Here is what I have seen but was hoping others would chime in with any other options.

I like the Glock 36 ALOT and as of now am leaning that way.....even like the 30, but it may be too big. I want to spend no more than $600. I held a Kahr CW9, it was ok, liked the trigger in that I currently have a PM9 and if going with a Kahr would rather have the P45 but dont want to spend that much.

So, what else it out there for about what I want to spend? Oh yeah, not thinking 1911 platform, too pricey and I like DAO/Striker Fired, etc better.

Thanks in advance!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Hello,

I have canned a idea I had to buy a AR-15 for the time being and as such I have a few hundred on deposit at my local gun store. I would rather have a small concealable 45 at the present time.

I WANT rather than NEED this gun so it may not be carried, but I want the option to if I decide.

Here is what I have seen but was hoping others would chime in with any other options.

I like the Glock 36 ALOT and as of now am leaning that way.....even like the 30, but it may be too big. I want to spend no more than $600. I held a Kahr CW9, it was ok, liked the trigger in that I currently have a PM9 and if going with a Kahr would rather have the P45 but dont want to spend that much.

So, what else it out there for about what I want to spend? Oh yeah, not thinking 1911 platform, too pricey and I like DAO/Striker Fired, etc better.

Thanks in advance!
    Sig P250 45ACP CMP.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

If you eliminate small 1911s (which you did) and want to stick with name brand guns having a decent reputation, the Glock 36 and the Kahr P45 are pretty much it. The Sig P245, which has the same 6+1 capacity, is probably going to be too large and too expensive, given your $600 price limit. The polymer Sig P250 comes in a small .45 version, but is a brand new gun on the market and somewhat untested as yet.

Personally I'd get the Glock.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If you eliminate small 1911s (which you did) and want to stick with name brand guns having a decent reputation, the Glock 36 and the Kahr P45 are pretty much it. The Sig P245, which has the same 6+1 capacity, is probably going to be too large and too expensive, given your $600 price limit. The polymer Sig P250 comes in a small .45 version, but is a brand new gun on the market and somewhat untested as yet.

Personally I'd get the Glock.
    Yeah, I think I am already there as you said, but was hoping for other options. I have held a P250 and it didnt really do anything for me. Also, I have a S&W 4516-1 that I bought in 1989 or so and that sort of covers me on the "SA/DA" front for a gun roughly the same size as the Sig.

Looks like my criteria points tothe 36...any thoughts on a 30? (I know, greater capacity but the size may be too different...I cannot seem to find a dealer with both in stock).
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    ...and if going with a Kahr would rather have the P45 but dont want to spend that much
    Why not a Kahr TP9? This gives you a longer barrel, full grip and a extra round in the magazine, yet is still small and light enough to carry. For some reason these seem to sell for less than the P45... around $525 or so.

You can get a Springfield Armory 1911 for your price range. You mention small and concealable. Their Gov't models have a 5 inch barrel. However, they can be concealed with a good holster. I would suggest you consider the 1911 platform. Thin is the best thing for concealment and the 1911 does that. Length of the barrel is less important than having a thinner gun IMO. Good luck to you on your search.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Why not a Kahr TP9? This gives you a longer barrel, full grip and a extra round in the magazine, yet is still small and light enough to carry. For some reason these seem to sell for less than the P45... around $525 or so.
    You are right I overlooked the TP althoguh it may be a bit large for CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by lws380 View Post
    You can get a Springfield Armory 1911 for your price range. You mention small and concealable. Their Gov't models have a 5 inch barrel. However, they can be concealed with a good holster. I would suggest you consider the 1911 platform. Thin is the best thing for concealment and the 1911 does that. Length of the barrel is less important than having a thinner gun IMO. Good luck to you on your search.
    All of my current carry pistols have the same controls (no manual safeties) and all have DAOor similar triggers and would like to keep it that way if possible. If I were to go to a 1911 platform a Springfield would be at the top of the list.

I don't know off hand... I'm looking to add another pistol too. Right now my eye is on the G36 as well. I really like the feel of the slimmer G36 over the G30 and being a glock, it's gonna function as expected. I started thinking I wanted a 1911, but after pricing a few I found that, I could get two quality pistols for the price of one good 1911. I'm either gonna get the Kahr PM9 and the G36, or the G26 and the G36 as a xmas present to myself...

Good luck with your search... My suggestion would be the G36.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

The PM45 is nice. But i tend to be a fan of Glock So that is how I would go.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Taurus PT145.

.45 ACP

10+1

Shorter than the Glock 36

Manual thumb safety

This might be worth looking into. I recently bought one and love it.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I don't know off hand... I'm looking to add another pistol too. Right now my eye is on the G36 as well. I really like the feel of the slimmer G36 over the G30 and being a glock, it's gonna function as expected. I started thinking I wanted a 1911, but after pricing a few I found that, I could get two quality pistols for the price of one good 1911. I'm either gonna get the Kahr PM9 and the G36, or the G26 and the G36 as a xmas present to myself...

Good luck with your search... My suggestion would be the G36.
    I feel the same re: 1911 prices. Also, the 30 and 36 are identical except for .14 of an inch of thickness....and the 30 will give me 4 more rounds and ability to use longer 21 mags....so now I am thinking about a 30 since .14 shouldn't really make that much of a difference....I thing.

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I feel the same re: 1911 prices. Also, the 30 and 36 are identical except for .14 of an inch of thickness....and the 30 will give me 4 more rounds and ability to use longer 21 mags....so now I am thinking about a 30 since .14 shouldn't really make that much of a difference....I thing.
    You wouldn't think that .14" is a big difference...but it is. Especially if you plan on IWB carry.

I have both a G30 and a G36; the G36 is a particularly confortable carry pistol, and almost disappears in an IWB holster. The G30 is a bit big for IWB (Although I do carry it that way occasionally), and is noticeably heavier as well.

I think they are both great pistols, and am readily recommending both; but if you want a slim pistol for carry...the G30 ain't it. If you want a 10+1-rd, compact, reliable .45, however...the G30 is the way to go.

Hope this helps.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

How does the 36 work with the + 1 mag plate if you have experience with it..that way I would have 7+1 and still slim?

Have you looked at the M&P .45c?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links