Spring Rod Lasers any thought?

This is a discussion on Spring Rod Lasers any thought? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this is the proper place for it, but they are essentially an integral part of the gun when installed. I like the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Rod Lasers any thought?

Not sure if this is the proper place for it, but they are essentially an integral part of the gun when installed. I like the LaserMax replacement recoil spring/spring rod. A buddy of mine has these on his 26, 27, AND his 30. All are great subcompacts and having the laser shooting right out from under the barrel without taking up space on the outside of the gun sounds very appealing to me. I like the help in shooting while adding the old drama of a red dot on my target.

Any thoughts?

I am also interested in any comments....looking to get one for my 36.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

I had one, it seemed awfully fragile, but never had a breakage problem. The batteries wear out fast when compared to Crimson Trace. My main complaint (and the reason I got rid of it) was the holster would turn the laser on and it would be dead in no time.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I also had my Lasermax turn on in my holster - twice.

Otherwise, a good unit. But...I like Crimson Trace better, because the laser turns on just by gripping the gun - no extra step needed.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I also had my Lasermax turn on in my holster - twice.

Otherwise, a good unit. But...I like Crimson Trace better, because the laser turns on just by gripping the gun - no extra step needed.
    Are you able to keep the Crimson Trace grips from coming on when gripping the gun?
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

How big and bulky are the crimson trace lasers?

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    Are you able to keep the Crimson Trace grips from coming on when gripping the gun?
    The ones I've tried out you can't. Sort of annoying to me actually. But.........at a little over half of what the internal guide rod lasers cost, I think I'd go with the CT grip lasers.

My Laserguard on my G26 has an on/off switch, as does the Lasergrip on my SP101 revolver. I do most of my training without the laser on, actually.

The Lasergrip on my G19 and the Laserguard on my wife's LCP do not have the on/off switch. However, if you loosen your grip, you can keep the laser from turning on. You can also remove the batteries, or just tape over the laser, for training without it.

As far as size goes - I use a Smartcarry, so I really like the Laserguard design - it puts the laser under the dust cover. If I use flat-front pants, I found that the laser housing on the Lasergrip tends to print. May not be an issue with other holsters. The Lasergrip on the G19 fits over the pistol's grip, and does add some bulk, but it actually feels good in the hand to me - it fills in the space in your palm.

Try some out, if you can, and see for yourself. "Feel" is a personal thing...

Of the big three that I've used (ArmaLaser, CT, and Lasermax) I like CT the best. They're not perfect - all of them should have an on/off switch, and they can interfere with some holsters, or with the use of rails (in the case of the Laserguard) - but I like the fact that just gripping the gun turns them on. Just like my Glocks - point and shoot.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have heard mixed reviews about the spring guide lazers. Some say its a sweet idea and others don't like it. Few things I would ask is I would be worried about the heat of the barrel cooking the lazer during long shot sessions. Also are they not adjustable? How do they turn on?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Guiderod lasers have their pluses and minuses. On the plus side they don't change the profile of the weapon. I have heard instances of them failing at critical times. Ajustment to zero can be a probem, although at combat distances it is close to impact point.
    Most find the Crimson Trace more practical and affordable.

Razor,
    The slide release is the switch. Pushing to either side and making contact with metal inside turns it on, setting it to center turns it off. This is why they are so tricky to keep in the off position. That's one of my biggest concerns. I just like to totally integrated idea of it.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I have heard mixed reviews about the spring guide lazers. Some say its a sweet idea and others don't like it. Few things I would ask is I would be worried about the heat of the barrel cooking the lazer during long shot sessions. Also are they not adjustable? How do they turn on?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archimeech View Post
    Razor,
    The slide release is the switch. Pushing to either side and making contact with metal inside turns it on, setting it to center turns it off. This is why they are so tricky to keep in the off position. That's one of my biggest concerns. I just like to totally integrated idea of it.
    Hmmm sounds kinda hokey... when you say "tricky" does that mean it is something you get used to or no?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I don't remove critical parts from my gun to replace it with a laser. That laser doesn't mean anything if my gun doesn't run right. Lasermax makes very nice products, but I would go with Crimson Trace.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Hmmm sounds kinda hokey... when you say "tricky" does that mean it is something you get used to or no?
    I had one and couldn't get past the on/off mechanism. I wanted the laser to be on only momentarily, and off quickly. I don't want to announce my position.

get a CT, no fumbling trying to turn it on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links