Kel-Tec PF9...... uh oh

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF9...... uh oh within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hopefully by the middle of Dec I'll have mine in my hands test firing it for reliability. I'm hoping it will pass and join the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec PF9...... uh oh

Hopefully by the middle of Dec I'll have mine in my hands test firing it for reliability. I'm hoping it will pass and join the rotation with the rest of my carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by lws380 View Post
    This is why everybody needs a wheel gun. Maybe a 442/642 is in your future?
    Revolvers can jam also.
    There is NO guarentee with anything mechanical.
    --------------------

To the OP...
    KelTec will make it all work again.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Revolvers can jam also.
    There is NO guarentee with anything mechanical.
    Thanks for pointing this out. Lots of folks seem to think revolvers "never jam." While they are perhaps more mechanically reliable than a semi auto pistol, and less ammo sensitive, revolvers can indeed jam - and when they do, it usually takes a trip to the gunsmith to fix.

Drop a revolver in the dirt, get grit or gravel between the cylinder and frame...jammed revolver. Fire full house .357 Mag out of a light weight revolver, get some of the bullets to unseat from the case...jammed revolver. Broken springs...you get the idea. Stuff happens - even to revolvers!

That said, while I don't carry mine anymore (SP101) I will always keep it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. Lots of folks seem to think revolvers "never jam." While they are perhaps more mechanically reliable than a semi auto pistol, and less ammo sensitive, revolvers can indeed jam - and when they do, it usually takes a trip to the gunsmith to fix.

Drop a revolver in the dirt, get grit or gravel between the cylinder and frame...jammed revolver. Fire full house .357 Mag out of a light weight revolver, get some of the bullets to unseat from the case...jammed revolver. Broken springs...you get the idea. Stuff happens - even to revolvers!

That said, while I don't carry mine anymore (SP101) I will always keep it.
    I can see where you are coming from but I have to disagree with the dirt thing though revolvers are pretty tough. Whoever says a good revolver is more reliable then a good auto loader is mistaken. They are 2 different animals.

If you get a misfire on an autoloader you need to clear the round before continue, on a revolver you keep pulling the trigger. In a life and death situation fine but it always makes me cringe to think what would happen if that round went off out of time (not active chamber)

autoloader bites between thumb and finger. Revolver could blow your fingertip off

I could go on but you get the point.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Yell..... right.... LMAO. I've used and carried revolvers over the last 40 + years, and never had ONE Of them jam yet. Nor, have I ever seen.... nor heard ... of anyone I know having that issue with one.

I would have to see what the person did to get it jammed.... you would normally have to work very hard, or dumb, to jam a revolver.

I've never had a misfire with a revolver either. Most commonly, a revolver will shoot ammo that failed in a rifle. If it does, after giving it some time.... open the wheel and remove it... "if " you actually ever have one. If in a gun fight... keep pulling the trigger and then empty and reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I've never had a misfire with a revolver either.
    I have.. Brand Spanking new out of the box Taurus p85.. Not the lightweight sissy one either.. The heavy one that makes you feel like a man.. But, I'm no master gunsmith or even close.. I would suspect it was the primer as it was range ammo and might have been a reload even.. It happened twice in the first 50 rounds (same box).. After that it was fine.

I had that gun, and the same probelm happened. I figured out that I was pressing the release with my thumb while shooting. When I concentrated on keeping my thumb away from the release, it stopped doing that...and since I'm not about to change my grip to accomodate a particular gun, I dumped it. Never occurred to me to call them. Perhaps the metal release solves it. My thumb just sits exactly where the release is on that particular weapon.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

I know I will get flamed for this, but "in my experience" KT's are not "good" guns...mine had to go the factory 2x's......and I lost faith....and if I am going to rely on my carry weapon to save my life (why else would I carry it..duh!) then it is no good....and I really dont care if it is a $3,000 race gun or a Glock or a Kel-Tec..if it is a lemon, it is a lemon and belongs somewhere other than my house.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Consider yourself flamed. Two Kel Tecs=zero problems. But, to each his own.
    Kel Tec PF9-FDE, Glock 22, Glock 23, Glock 32, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

I've had an excellent experience with my PF9 that I purchased a couple weeks ago. Only problem I've had in 300 rounds or so is a couple double feeds, but it only did this with a certain round (Winchester white box). S&B, Blazer Brass, Federal (all 115gr) all shot without a single hitch.

For the price, I think I got a GREAT value. Is it on par with my XD-9? No, not at all. It's smaller, lighter, thinner, and it costs less. In a life or death situation, I'd reach for my XD. Unfortunately, the XD lives in my nightstand, and I don't carry it with me. I do carry my PF-9, every time I leave my home. Aside from the WWB ammo, it's been absolutely flawless. I have no problem trusting it at all.

It does sound like yours may lack the metal mag release. If you send it to KT, they will update it to the metal part, as well as various other parts, as needed. I've heard nothing but good about KT's service. I have yet to need to use it.

It seems the newer ones, such as mine, have quite a number of bugs worked out of them, compared to the earlier revisions. Only servicing I've done is polishing of the feed ramp. Again, I'm happy with my purchase

Had the same problem with mag release with a Kahr PM9. Not my only problem, but a new mag catch and spring fixed that issue easily. I second the opinions of those who are sceptical of small autoloaders. Some are perfect, a good number aren't.

I think what bothered me most was, I have carried it. It shot perfectly right up to that point, then go out and it failed right off the top... and shot after shot. I hope that fixes the prolbem, it's sitting at KT right now. However, it will always leave a ??? in my mind now until it proves it's reliability on the range numerous times.

I own many guns and love my XD's and My Sig. But I purchased the Kel-Tec PF 9 a little more than a month ago. I have had NO issues with it. I've put 350 -400 rounds through it. It took a little getting use to the trigger which feels like a revolver type pull. It has performed flawlessly. It is very accurate, lightweight, thin, and easily concealable.

After qualifying with it to add it to my CCW the instructor wanted to take a shot with it who was not a Kel-Tec fan. He fired 1 round and hit bullseye then said this is a nice gun.
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

I think what bothered me most was, I have carried it. It shot perfectly right up to that point, then go out and it failed right off the top
    I totally get it. Even though my Kahr is working now, I'm still carrying my snubbie.

I've survived three 3ATs, a PF9, LCP, Micro Desert Eagle and assorted other semi autos. Now, I rely on my G26, G19 and G34 ... supplemented by a S&W 642 Airweight in a Smart Carry. I absolutely trust each and every one of these guns to go 'bang' when I press the trigger.

My best advice to anyone is practice as much as possible in competitions like IDPA, IPSC, GSSF or other action competition against the clock. That way you are learning the nuances of your gun, developing confidence in it, and enhancing your personal familiarity and capacity for shooting the gun fast and accurate - which is what it all comes down to in the end.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links