Kel-Tec PF9...... uh oh

Kel-Tec PF9...... uh oh

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF9...... uh oh within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have a Kel-Tec PF9. I have never had any issue with it shooting, etc. nor shooting any ammo I put in it. It's ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec PF9...... uh oh

Kel-Tec PF9...... uh oh

Ok, I have a Kel-Tec PF9. I have never had any issue with it shooting, etc. nor shooting any ammo I put in it. It's not a range gun, so I shoot it only once in awhile at the range. But, I have carried it, and as I said, there has Never been an issue of any type so I was not concerned.

Well...................... the gun has about 250-300 rounds thru it and I had not shot it in a couple of months, so decided to take it along with me and shoot it some. When I shot, the gun didn't eject the casing nor load another round... as the mag dropped slightly out of the gun. I put it back in, racked the slide to put one in the chamber, and then rechecked the mag was very secure in the gun (even seeing if I could pull it out) and it was all fine. Then, I would shoot... and the same thing all over again. I checked everything, that it was also clean, no obstructions, etc. ... and found nothing.

I did this 30 times, and it messed up each time, so I stopped. The mag release is releasing the mag when the gun shoots off a round.

I've contacted Kel-Tec and it's going in to them to check it out and fix it, but now.... my confidence in the gun is zero. I sure would NOT have wanted this gun, acting like this, in a self defense situation.

Anyone else have these issues ?

Very good you found out now instead of when you needed it most. I've heard Kel-Tec has great customer service, I hope they get the problem fixed for you.

I don't know, but there are a few stories floating around about problems with Kel-Tec's pistols. I understand, and was told by my gunsmith, that Kel-Tec produces a good product. Their "lifetime" warranty is just that... for the lifetime of the firearm. They'll take care of your problem.

Ahhh...the "Kurse of the K" strikes again.

From the reliability polls done a few months back, it would seem you have about a 40% chance of experiencing 2 or more malfunctions with the "K" guns - Kimber, Kahr, and Kel tec. On a positive note, you have a 60% chance that this will be the only issue you experience.

Hopefully, KT will get it right for you. But, if you are like me, it will take a long time, and lots of expensive ammo, to regain trust in the gun.

Or, you could just get a Glock 26...

Best of luck to you! Unfortunately, I've been there...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I bet you pistol is full of belly-button lint, dirt, bird dropping, toe jam, and such. Carry guns are crud magnets. Fire them more often and clean them regularly and you will not have these problems.

If you think my theory is nonsense, please PM me with the age and hotness of your widow.

Thank you.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    I bet you pistol is full of belly-button lint, dirt, bird dropping, toe jam, and such. Carry guns are crud magnets. Fire them more often and clean them regularly and you will not have these problems.

If you think my theory is nonsense, please PM me with the age and hotness of your widow.

Thank you.
    your theory is nonsense. I keep them very clean and on a regular basis, and have checked this gun in every way ... including a small mirror up the mag opening....

I can guarantee you, there is no dirt, toe jam, lint or anything else anywhere in or on this gun.

Kel-Tec says they think it may have one of their plastic mag releases on the inside that were 'replaced' due to these type of issues on prior guns. They put a metal one in now, as well as a whole different spring, etc.

I'm just really glad I never had to actually use the gun in a SD situation, and gave me great pause about the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    your theory is nonsense. I keep them very clean and on a regular basis, and have checked this gun in every way ... including a small mirror up the mag opening....

I can guarantee you, there is no dirt, toe jam, lint or anything else anywhere in or on this gun.

Kel-Tec says they think it may have one of their plastic mag releases on the inside that were 'replaced' due to these type of issues on prior guns. They put a metal one in now, as well as a whole different spring, etc.

I'm just really glad I never had to actually use the gun in a SD situation, and gave me great pause about the gun.
    Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me. I've read about this on the KTOG web site. To insert a KT mag, you are supposed to hold the release button down for the insertion. Many people just slam the mag in, and that wears out the plastic part that fits into the mag, holding it in the gun. The plastic mag release does help to make the gun as light as it is, but the weight reduction is definitely not worth the reduction in reliability. My PF9 also has the plastic mag release, and I should send it in for the updates. I'm just not wanting to be without it.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Kel Tec does have great customer service.......they get a lot of practice at it!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

My P3AT did the same thing. Replaced the mag catch and it helped. Think I have a bum mag too. I find it hard to trust it for a carry piece.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    huh.... that sucks man. I have also heard that kel-tec has great CS. Haven't had any issue with my P3AT so I guess I'm lucky.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

It's a well known fact the the PF-9 with the plastic mag release was faulty and Kel Tec replaced them with the metal one without a whimper. If you always press the release button before inserting the mag, with the plastic, there is no issue. They sent me a new one in 3 days and I replaced it myself. Not rocket science. I press release button on all of my guns when inserting the mag because I just think it makes good sense. I have had three Kel Tecs and other than the mag release never an issue and the PF-9 is my EDC. Kel Tec bashers abound.
    Glock 22, Glock 23, S&W SW40VE, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

hey no kel-tec bashers here, I like my little 380. Even the ruger LCP is based on the gen one P3AT!

From a tactical perspective I don't agree on pressing mag release when inserting a mag. There could be a chance the mag could fall out if you release the button too late. But hey to each his own, do what works for you.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    hey no kel-tec bashers here, I like my little 380. Even the ruger LCP is based on the gen one P3AT!

From a tactical perspective I don't agree on pressing mag release when inserting a mag. There could be a chance the mag could fall out if you release the button too late. But hey to each his own, do what works for you.
    I only press the release if I'm inserting after cleaning or at the range. If I would be in a critical defense situation, pressing that button would be the last thing on my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ladman View Post
    I only press the release if I'm inserting after cleaning or at the range. If I would be in a critical defense situation, pressing that button would be the last thing on my mind.
    your right I do the same for my Para 5" 1911 as I target practice with it but I do not carry it. For my CCW smith and wesson I don't want to get into any bad habits. When my hands are on my baby she gets the same treatment as if I was in a defense situation. Including drop empty mags and quick reload. Tap, Rack, BOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    your right I do the same for my Para 5" 1911 as I target practice with it but I do not carry it. For my CCW smith and wesson I don't want to get into any bad habits. When my hands are on my baby she gets the same treatment as if I was in a defense situation. Including drop empty mags and quick reload. Tap, Rack, BOOM!
    Good point. Probably something I need to look at changing. Enjoy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links