Newbie Question...

Newbie Question...

This is a discussion on Newbie Question... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I am one of the newest members of this site and I am also currently on my quest for my first handgun and ...

Question Newbie Question...

Hello all,
    I am one of the newest members of this site and I am also currently on my quest for my first handgun and I`m also in the process of beginning my CCW classes. That being said, I have a few "newbie" questions that I would be very grateful if you all could help me out with.
    I looked at several handguns this week, (Glocks, Walthers, S&W, etc.) and I even came across a little Ruger LCP that really caught my eye. Anyway, my question is this: When I locked the slide back on the LCP, I noticed that the barrel itself was rather wiggly. I didn't notice if this was the case on all of the guns I looked at or if there was something wrong with this particular LCP. It WAS post recall though. I was sort of in a hurry at the time so I didn't think to ask the salesman if that was normal so I am asking now. I am relatively new to the handgun part of firearms (I know rifles pretty well, just not handguns...not yet) So, If anyone can help me out, I thank you in advance.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    It is normal for locked breech recoil operated handguns. The LCP is a locked breach firearm utilizing a cam/tilting barrel. This may help you understand a little better how this action works
    Recoil operation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most small handguns operate with a blowback design which is explained here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowback_(arms)

The locked-breech, tilting-barrel design is usually utilized by larger pistols. the LCP is an exception. With the little Ruger the barrel and slide are locked together when surfaces on the breechblock cam against the hardened takedown pin. As the slide and barrel move rearward after firing, the barrel unlocks from the slide and ejects the spent case as it tilts down to receive the next round from the magazine.
    Return pressure from the dual-captive recoil springs force the barrel and slide back into the locked position, completing the firing cycle.

Blowback operated handgun usually have the barrel fixed to the frame. With the locked-breech, tilting-barrel design the barrel moves as described above.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Well, that would explain it. I thank you very much for clarifying that for me. Now I may just have to go back and buy that gun...

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. There are lots of very knowledgable firearms contributors here, Its a great place to learn and enjoy our passion with other gun people. People here are happy to help you and generally respectful and civil. Its a good place to spend time if your not out shooting or buying guns!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Welcome from Texas! If you can handle carrying a larger gun, I'd recommend trying. You may want a larger capacity or caliber... you may not... Just don't rush into anything! That's what I've learned so far.

as blueninja said above do research and consider before buying, Its addicitve once you get one you will be looking to get another, and another and another and the ruger may be good for now but in the future you may want a bigger caliber or more capacity if that may be something you want then think about getting something a little bigger but remember it's what feels comfortable for you everyone has opinions on what they carry or whats the best to carry but it all comes down to what your happy with and what you can handle carrying all day and shooting

Try to find a place that rents pistols and shoot as many of them as you can. It might be a little expensive now, but it will be worth it to have the "perfect for you" pistol. You never know what will fit just "feel right".
    Carrying a gun means I am prepared for one more eventuality than those who do not.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

I would suggest finding someplace to rent different guns to shoot, before you decide on what to buy. While the LCP is a nice compact little package to carry, no gun of that size is going to be easy to shoot. It's not going to be a tack driver either. The sights on them are not really designed for target shooting, they're designed for close in, point and shoot situations.

Smile

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice can be found here. I really enjoy it. Hope you will to.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would have to agree with the others that posted renting a gun(s) at a range. I have found over the years this gives you hands on how the gun feels, shoots, ect.. Like someone else said be careful, it's a addiction. You can find yourself at the gun shop every weekend...

Welcome from North Carolina !!!
    "Rhino"

Welcome to DC from Ga.

Good information from (Pirate) on the design and function..... +1

As for the LCP, I have one and it's my (EDC) every day pocket carry pistol and I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a pocket pistol with a respectable punch... Take care!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the warm welcome everone!! I am still in the "consider everything" stage and I'm not actually ready to buy yet. I'm looking for a place that rents guns but no luck yet. I probably will end up with a bigger/higher capacity gun in the future but for now I'm just weighing all of my options. I appreciate all of the tips. May the quest continue....

Links