Anyone here have a .357 Sig?

This is a discussion on Anyone here have a .357 Sig? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a Ruger GP100 .357 magnum revolver for almost 20 years, so I'm very familiar with this caliber but I'm also somewhat interested in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here have a .357 Sig?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Anyone here have a .357 Sig?

I've had a Ruger GP100 .357 magnum revolver for almost 20 years, so I'm very familiar with this caliber but I'm also somewhat interested in the .357 Sig round. Specifically, I like the Smith and Wesson M&P 357c compact pistol.

So my questions are:

How does the recoil and overall feel compare to the .357 magnum?

How is the ammo availability?

Who else makes a .357 Sig? (Sig Sauer is obvious and I don't like Glocks).
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

I have a Full Size S&W M&P 357Sig with a Crimson Trace laser grip. It is my everyday carry piece. I am very accurate with this platform and it is easy to shoot for me at least (6'4" 280lbs.) I cannot say how it compares recoil wise to the 357 Magnum because I have never shot one.

JD
    Administrator
    The .357 Sig is nowhere near a .357 Magnum round in recoil, not even close, however looking at the recoil characteristics of an auto vs. revolver, I'm not surprised. I would wager that if both rounds were shot from identical platforms, they would be closer in felt recoil, but the Magnum is still the hotter round.

The Springfield XD comes in .357 Sig, as well as the FNP. You've all ready mentioned Sig and Glock. What I'd like to see is an XDM in .357 Sig as well as an offering from CZ.

I bought a P239 in .357Sig this summer. I'm really happy with the purchase.

1. It is hard to compare the .357Sig to .357mag because I've never shot .357mag out of a pistol! The .357Sig shot from my P239 compared to 9mm shot from a P239 is "snappier." It seems to me that the recoil is more straight back than I expected. I've also shot it out of a P229 and it seems the same. I would expect shooting a .357Sig to feel much like a .40S&W for obvious reasons. It is not unmanageable by any means.

2. Ammo availability will vary from store to store. Obviously you will get a better deal and availability if you buy online. It is expensive. I recommend anything from Buffalo Bore or Double Tap ammo because they load to max specs, so you get more of the sweet .357Sig-ness. I currently carry Cor-Bon DPX .357Sig loads in mine as a BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The Springfield XD comes in .357 Sig, as well as the FNP. You've all ready mentioned Sig and Glock. What I'd like to see is an XDM in .357 Sig as well as an offering from CZ.
    You can convert your XD or XDm to .357Sig with a simple barrel swap. That is, if your XD or XDm is in .40S&W to begin with. Can't go from 9mm to .357Sig.

EFKFiredragon Products
    I think Bar-Sto has some as well.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMan View Post

You can convert your XDm to .357Sig with a simple barrel swap. That is, if your XD or XDm is in .40S&W to begin with. Can't go from 9mm to .357Sig.

EFKFiredragon Products
    I think Bar-Sto has some as well.
    Mine is the 9mm, it was the one thing I didn't think of when I made my purchase. Oh well, never hurts to buy another gun. Actually, I'd probably by a Glock 20 and get a couple conversions.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I'm not familiar with .357's, so I went to find a picture of the two side by side... and I found this. Is this correct?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I'm not familiar with .357's, so I went to find a picture of the two side by side... and I found this. Is this correct?
    That looks about right.

Mine is the 9mm, it was the one thing I didn't think of when I made my purchase. Oh well, never hurts to buy another gun.
    I did the same thing. I wanted a 9mm, and don't care for the .40, so that's how it happened for me. After I discovered that if I bought the .40 i could have got the 9mm conversion barrel anyway. It's a good excuse to buy another gun!
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    That looks about right.
    Thanks! Always trying to expand my knowledge...

Senior Moderator
    There are several makes of .357 Sig guns.
    SpringfieldXD makes a good one if you dont want to drop the money on a Sig.

The .357 Sig,although compared to the .357 mag it is really the middle of the road for the .357 mag.

The recoil is not as harsh and the bark isnt nearly as loud as a full house Magnum.

Even so, when one is being used at the range, it has its own distinct sound that can be picked out of the crowd with other calibers.

It's a good round. I've got the Sig P226 in .357Sig and I love it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I have carried a P229 in .357Sig as a duty weapon and love it. I often carry a P239 in .357Sig off-duty, and, again...love it. I recently purchased and started shooting a S&W M&P in .357Sig. You guessed it. I love it. Great round and 3 great platforms to shoot it from.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I have a Sig. P239 in .40/.357 sig.
    I love the platform but dang the ammo is expensive!
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

My buddy...... Conrad.... has the P229 (usually in .40) but he has a .357 sig barrel for it, so I asked that he load it up so I could compare it to the .40.
    What I found was:

As stated, recoil not near a .357 Mag round. Also, not near a .40 round, well close, but you can tell a diff.
    I suspect that it is because of bullet grain. A larger bullet with same powder, will push back harder to get started than a smaller bullet. Recoil was VERY nice...almost comapable to a 9mm...... IMO
    I really liked to shoot that round...... it was plesent, but also as stated....pricy!
    However, I see why the air marshalls carry this round, and other LEOs are going to it.....would make a nice round to shoot one handed if needed......but still fast & accurate........
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I carry a G33 when I'm not carrying my PM9. I like the .357SIG, especially loaded up with DoubleTap GD 125g.

G32 and 33 for me, depending on clothing. My favorite cartridge by far!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links