Colt night defender 45 acp?

This is a discussion on Colt night defender 45 acp? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone had any experience with this gun (new to me) awesome little auto? I developed a tingling up my leg when I saw it ...

Thread: Colt night defender 45 acp?

Colt night defender 45 acp?

Has anyone had any experience with this gun (new to me) awesome little auto? I developed a tingling up my leg when I saw it in my new Mag. I subscribe to. Imput??? The way it looks to me, I think I'm on the hunt for a new buy. It looks like a winner to me , what do to all think.....Have a great week end..

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I have a Defender, but not the "night" version. It has an excellent feel in the hand and it's far more accurate than you might expect from a 3-incher. Recoil also isn't nearly as bad as might be expected.

I've had some problems feeding JHP's through mine, but I've heard from lots of other people who say that theirs has never burped with any ammo.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I just sold my Colt New Agent which is basically the same gun. I LOVED mine and I think the Colt Defenders and New Agents are some of the better compact .45's, however, the recoil was a bit stout for me and although I could shoot it "okay", I couldn't use it anywhere near as effectively as my 9mm's. I finally had to be honest with myself Mine liked JHP's at first but after only a little while became unpredicatable with them. I hate to admit it but I'm pretty sure I also caused some FTF's by limp wristing the gun. An another issue for me was how sensitive the single action trigger is. I would actually have accidental double taps when doing drills becasue of the sensitive trigger. All my bad and NOT the gun. I still think they're simply outstanding guns if you can master them. I sent mine in for the recall and they tuned it for JHP's and it was great after that but it wasn't working for me for a CCW piece. Someday I'll get a full size 1911 .45.

So I think you'd find this defender to be accurate, reasonable on recoil for what it is (it is a .45 acp in a very lightweight frame afterall )

Good luck with getting it!

Thank you guys for your imput. Santa might be really nice to me this Christmas. I am really warming up to this pistol.

I carry a Defender as my EDC. Love the gun. Did have a few early FTF's with a particular JHP but never a one with Ball nor any types of JHP that are shaped more like Ball. The two I had were very early in the gun (about rounds 30 or so) and last of the magazine and was doing fairly rapid fire with, by that time a very dirty gun (all previous rounds were WWB). But no problem since.

This Defender of mine is the straight type Defender. Not sure I heard of a Night model. Is that one that is blacked out or has night sights or something?

This Defender is the one I have (I just realized I haven't taken a new picture since putting the Black flat panels and Black allen screws)

Ok now I see. Found some info. TALO customized one. Not sure what the slide metal is but it is Blackened. And saw one mention of a Tritium front sight.

yo cphilip, is that a savannah holster from Southern Holsters in Actworth, Ga? It's shaped like mine which is the antique chestnut with sharkskin trim.

Nope. The one with sharkskin trim is a Rhome Desbien made, FBI cant, pancake, high ride. Desbien Gun leathers in California.

Desbiens Gun Leather

Gonna be hard to find, even the Defender is. I haven't been able to get more for my shop since last year!

Right about that. When I was looking I just happened to run into one Defender and one new agent sitting side by side that had not been there long. I was lucky enough to be able to examine side by side the two and chose. And next time I went in the New Agent was gone too and not seen another one in any of my regular haunts since. Nada... So I guess the Night model should even be rarer to find then. All of them seem to be rather hard to find.

I'm not sure I would stock the New Agent. I kinda like my guns to have sights...

I dunno... when they are large enough to use I do. And these are.

But I am also a believer in learning and practicing "point and shoot" for a self defense gun. You will be much better off if you can master that technique and then you really don't need the sights. In fact they simply become a burden.

I chose the Defender, the sighted variant though for this large of a gun because they are large enough for sighting. And I also chose it for the lighter weight. But on a even smaller pocket gun it wouldn't matter at all to me to not have sights.

Links