Recoil on Glock 23 vs 27?

This is a discussion on Recoil on Glock 23 vs 27? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am researching for a cc gun. Rented a Glock 23 today. They did not have the 27 to rent but a guy who worked ...

I am researching for a cc gun. Rented a Glock 23 today. They did not have the 27 to rent but a guy who worked at the range had one that he let me fire 5 or 6 rounds through. Is it my imagination or does the smaller 27 have almost the kick to it as the 23?

Next up I want to compare these to the S&W M&K 40C and one of the Kahr 40 of similar size to the Glock 27.

The G23 and G27 are practically the same gun with the major difference being the grip length and barrel length and number of rounds in the magazine, and the G27 can use the G22 and G23 magazines. Some think the G27 felt recoil is greater, but I believe it is the lack of grip surface that gives that impression. The .40 S&W is a snappy round and both guns are lightweight at 31 and 27 ounces loaded. If the recoil seems to much consider the G19 or G26 or buy an aftermarket 9mm barrel for the G23/27. Having shot all of the above I don't perceive much difference in any of them especially if you shoot 9mm+P. They all have recoil but it's not anything most people can't manage. Hope this helps.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Being the same caliber and the 27 being a smaller gun, greater recoil can be expected.

If you think you can conceal a 19/23 sized gun (I do) that's the way I'd go, if you think you would prefer the smaller size of the 26/27 (I also have one of those) then go for it. I got my 19 first and carried it for a 3 years before getting my 26. I still carry them both on a regular basis.

The difference in recoil is almost insignificant in my opinion.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have both...I can't say there's any discernible difference in recoil. You'd expect that the 27 would have greater recoil; I don't see it. I have read still other threads that say the recoil on the 23 is greater than that off the 27, or, accuracy on the 27 is better.

I prefer to carry the 23 and like it better over all because of the grip feel and its ergonomic characteristics.
    I know it's not much help to you, but I shoot each one equally well, and handle recoil equally also. You will have to rent each, and decide for yourself.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    The difference in recoil is almost insignificant in my opinion.
    My opinion would be the same concerning the G23 and G27 recoil. IMO...the 40S&W is the 40S&W, and the 40S&W recoil is something special. I honestly think that ounce for ounce, speed of projectile (FPS), weight of projectile, and barrel length in the 40S&W Glocks comes awfully close to balancing out to the same perceived recoil no matter which model you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    My opinion would be the same concerning the G23 and G27 recoil. IMO...the 40S&W is the 40S&W, and the 40S&W recoil is something special. I honestly think that ounce for ounce, speed of projectile (FPS), weight of projectile, and barrel length in the 40S&W Glocks comes awfully close to balancing out to the same perceived recoil no matter which model you choose.
    I agree 100%!!

Speaking from someone who has some nerve damage in my right arm, I rented a G-27 when I was looking for a sub-compact gun since I've had a G-23 for about 11 or 12 years. I will say that after two or three magazines my right hand was starting to get numb shooting the G-27.

I can shoot the G-23 all day long with no ill effects. So when I finally purchased a sub-compact, I went with a 9mm. Now the G-27 was wickedly accurate, and maybe I was just having a strange day. But since I like to shoot more than 2 or 3 magazines when I shoot, I stayed away from the .40 cal sub-compact.

As far as the sub-compact goes, I went with the XD9sc simply because I've been wanting to try that platform as compared with the Glocks. I'm sure I would have been just as happy with a G-26.

As an interesting side note. For all I hear about how snappy and hard the recoil is in the Ruger LCP, I've never had one bit of numbness from shooting my LCP.

Just my personal experience and notations. Your mileage may certainly vary.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Dog View Post
    I agree 100%!!
    I do too.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

A close friend of mine from this site Purwater has both. I have shot them both a bunch and can't tell much difference in the recoil. The smaller grip size of the 27 makes it a little harder to hold since i have a big ol hand. But both are great performers.
    CZ82
    Ruger LCP
    Glock 27 Gen4
    Ruger SR22

kpw
    I'm probably one of the few that prefers shooting the 27 to the 23. Recoil wise, they don't feel much different but the shorter grip places the arched part of the backstrap in the palm of my hand. It seems more comfortable in recoil with less torquing affect.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Links