Thinking this will be my new CCW, any input?

This is a discussion on Thinking this will be my new CCW, any input? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I am going to buy a Walther PPS in 9mm as my new EDC gun. Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking this will be my new CCW, any input?

Thinking this will be my new CCW, any input?

I think I am going to buy a Walther PPS in 9mm as my new EDC gun. Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with these? This is the model I want:
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have the 9mm version and like it a lot; easy to CC; shoots good. HOWEVER, I hate the mag release.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

If you really like it, then buy it...whatever calls your name while in the gun shop.
    However, if you're asking...I believe that there are far better choices for an EDC. Walthers do not have the quality that they were once known for, IMHO.
    1911's, Glocks, Sigs, etc...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The Walthers built by S&W don't have the rep they used to. The German Made PPS is a great gun and I carry it from time to time.

Love my wife's .40 PPS. I agree, I could do without the mag release, but you get used to it.

Nice pistol for sure. I checked one out when I was looking for a 9mm. I ended up going with the Kahr CW9 only for the trigger on the kahr, but other than that I liked the Walther. I really liked how thin it was and if the Kahr would've been much thicker in that area, I'd be carrying the Walther today. The price of the Kahr was a good selling point too, I have to admit.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    The Walthers built by S&W don't have the rep they used to. The German Made PPS is a great gun and I carry it from time to time.
    Actually they are German made. Check the left side right below the slide, it says Carl Walther, Made in Germany. S&W is merely the US distributor and handles warranty issues. Any S&W owners know they stand by the weapons they sell. I own the 9mm and have probably 800 rounds or more with zero issues. Check out the Walther PPS forums and see the love owners have for them.

Love mine. It's incredibly comfortable and it vanishes in my CompTac C-Tac holster. I actually love the magazine release, but that's probably because I'm not as experienced a gun user as others, therefore I'm not as used to a standard release. The magazines are obscenely expensive.

What is it with the Glock look-alike triggers? My apologies. That looks like a sweet pistol.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    VERY Nice. I've held and dry fired one. Really thin. Good feel to trigger. Congrats.
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What is it with the Glock look-alike triggers? My apologies. That looks like a sweet pistol.
    not many ways you can make a passive trigger safety.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I have this exact gun and it is a wonderful carry gun. It disappears in any clothing and it is great to shoot too. I like having the different backstraps, the small works better for me but my sons do better with the large. We all agree it shoots a lot like a Glock. Now that the weather has cooled in the south I am carrying the Glock more again, but the PPS is my go to carry gun for hot weather, and for when I wear a skirt or dress. <not that that would be anything you'r eworried about LOL
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

I have a couple of issues with the PPS which caused me to buy a Kahr PM9 instead. One, I don't like the magazine release; I have a dozen other pistols with the "standard" magazine release and I just did not want another technique introduced into my carry methods. Second, if I recall correctly the backstrap attaches with a plastic part that would render the gun inoperable if it fails. I'm working from memory here, but I recall that when I inspected the backstrap assembly I ruled the gun out on that issue alone. People have had issues with the PM9, but mine has been 100% reliable out of the box. In the end, buy the gun with which you are most comfortable and, if you can shoot before you buy, proficient.

Perfect CCW. Thin and accurate for the size. This is the gun GLOCK should make. Good choice.

I have two of them. A 9mm that is my wife's EDC and a 40 S&W that I carry on occasion. They are both excellent firearms and have never had any failure with either of them. As others have already said, these are true German made Walthers. And, as others have said, I'm not crazy about the mag release but it isn't a deal breaker for me and my wife loves it. Excellent choice for a carry gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links