Sight problem with Glock 22

This is a discussion on Sight problem with Glock 22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK guys, I need some help gaining my confidence back in Glocks. Here is the deal, I have a loaner Glock 22, and it has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sight problem with Glock 22

OK guys, I need some help gaining my confidence back in Glocks.
    Here is the deal, I have a loaner Glock 22, and it has been very well taken care of. I have been happy enough with the gun, that I am not sure my buddy was going to get it back. That was up until last night.

My wife and I were getting ready to go out to dinner, I grab the Glock and pull it out of the IWB holster, just to do a once over. Boy was I ever glad that I did. The front sight was gone! There is no GOOD time to find your sights are no more, but this was better than most. I grabbed my old standby Sig 229 and out the door we went.

The sight had fallen out and was in the bottom of the holster. The gun hasnít been dropped or received any traumatic impacts etc. The bottom of the sight was still intact and the spreader pin was still in place although maybe not as deeply seated as it should be.

Is it common for factory sights to work loose?
    Are there other sights that are more secure?
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

So what's the problem?
    You don't need no stinkin' sights to defend yourself.

A little point shooting activity and you can 'remove' your sights.
    I guarentee you that if a dirtbag in a WalMart parking lot demands your car and wife at knife point, you WILL NOT be using your sights for anything...think about it.

I'd probably get around to putting some Trij's on it for night sight point shooting...still not a problem. OMO

Stay armed...learn to point shoot...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Retsupt,
    Actually, I agree with you on point shooting and feel pretty confident in my ability.
    Maybe I am crazy, but I guess I just expected more quality from a Glock.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Retsupt,
    Actually, I agree with you on point shooting and feel pretty confident in my ability.
    Maybe I am crazy, but I guess I just expected more quality from a Glock.
    The "quality" of the factory sights on Glocks is not one of their main selling points. They are plastic, fairly flimsy sights that work until snagged or knocked around a bit. Aftermarket sights like Trijicons or Mepros are better secured.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    GLOCK has upgraded their front sights. They are no longer staked on. Now they use a screw that more securely attaches the sight to the slide. My guess is for exactly the reason you have discovered.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Yup, if you call them and ask for the warranty, not CS, department they will probably send you a screw on sight.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    That was a blessing in disguise.

Now go out and buy some nice aftermarket sights.

I have lots of use on one of my glocks with the stock plastic sights. 1000's of holster draws from training and IDPA and the site is still on there. It is worn down a little and a little on the loose side but still there. I am actually pretty surprised.

I will probably replace the sights with a set of warren tacticals. Fiber optic front, black rear.

I never gave any of my Glocks a good fighting chance at loosing their front sights from the factory before I was replacing them with aftermarket night sights anyway. Last time I saw a Glock with stock plastic sights was in a holster worn by a Crawford county deputy that obviously overstepped his bounds and my fourth amendment rights. Even I figure Glocks are not tops in this department of the OEM plastic sights department, but compare the costs with other brand new pistols of the same quality and you can see they obviously left room for the aftermarket sights of your choice.

Thanks ! I will research some sights for the Glock.

I am wondering why you would bother with a mere Glock when you already have a Sig... :-)

OK, only mostly kidding. I am sure that was the one hickup that the Glock in question will ever have. Continue to carry and use it!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

me to

Mine did the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! though i was the only one
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Glock front sights are plastic and just held in place with a little plastic stud through the hole on the top of the slide.

I'm not a gunsmith by any means and I put night sights on my G23 with no problems. And it shoots straight.

Chances are if you had to use the gun you'd be close enough anyway you wouldn't need the sights.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    OK guys, I need some help gaining my confidence back in Glocks.
    Here is the deal, I have a loaner Glock 22, and it has been very well taken care of. I have been happy enough with the gun, that I am not sure my buddy was going to get it back. That was up until last night.

Is it common for factory sights to work loose?
    Are there other sights that are more secure?
    I don't think I understand the question really. You have a loaned Glock 22 that you believe you're not going to give back to the person that loaned it to you, and now the front sight has come off?

You want us to re-ignite your faith in Glock? Why not go buy your own gun with the sights you prefer? You were in charge of the sightless G22 when it happened so, fess up and get it fixed to you buddies wishes. That's right, fix it to his standards, even if it is an improvement.

Then, like I said, go buy your own Glock, you love'em, I can tell..... is just around the corner right?
    Certified Glock Armorer

The first thing I did with both my Glocks was replace the sights with Meprolights.

Both of them had the screw in front sight but that rear factory sight really sucks and I don't like the plastic sights.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Yes, they are screwed on now, but I too would recommend a change to night sites...put them on my G26 and they are really nice.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links