Sig P238

Sig P238

This is a discussion on Sig P238 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off let me say thanks to everyone on here. I've been watching and learning for a couple months now. Now to my question. Picked ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig P238

Sig P238

First off let me say thanks to everyone on here. I've been watching and learning for a couple months now.

Now to my question. Picked up a new "Rainbow" model of the P238 this weekend for the wife and went to the range today. It's a perfect fit for her and I know the recoil wouldn't be bad.

Out of the first 6 rounds half did not fire when the hammer fell. Had to manually cock it refire, that worked most of the time. We went through 50 rounds today and would have to say that at least 20 times it failed to fire. Twice the slide locked open with rounds still in the clip.

I've read on other forums where this has been a common issue and many have returned the gun to Sig for "repairs".

Has anyone on here had similar problems?

I don't think I've ever heard of a Sig that wouldn't function. They are usually as reliable as a crowbar. What is a Rainbow edition?
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

I would be on the phone with Sig first thing tomorrow morning if it were me. That sucks, man. Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Sigs are usually better than that.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

VIP Member
    Let us know what happens, SIG is top notch with customer service from what I hear. My SIG has been flawless.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Thanks guys, I heard nothing but good about Sig till today. For the first time I didn't do my homework before buying! Relied on the reputation.

I do have full confidence that it will all work out in the end, just a shame that you have to go through it. But then again it's a realative new model and I'm sure there are some bugs to be worked out.

Here's the link of what the "Rainbow" finish looks like.

Products & Services

That's a great looking finish. Kershaw also uses it on their Ken Onion Leek.

I've got an early P238 and it gobbles up all ammo well, except Wolf, which gives at least two malfunctions per magazine.

You didn't mention what kind of ammo, but if Wolf, I'd avoid it and try something different before calling SIG.

In the end, SIG Customer Service will promptly take care of you.

That rainbow color is unique...I have a Kershaw Rainbow Chive knife that has an almost identical look.

Let us know how this all turns out.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    That's a great looking finish. Kershaw also uses it on their Ken Onion Leek.
    +1! Nice.
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

Unique...definitely describes the 'Rainbow Edition'...
    I'm surprised that you are having such difficulties with a Sig, but their customer service will make it good...I trust that it will only be an ammo problem...the failed shells makes it appear that way. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cohiba View Post
    Out of the first 6 rounds half did not fire when the hammer fell. Had to manually cock it refire, that worked most of the time. We went through 50 rounds today and would have to say that at least 20 times it failed to fire. Twice the slide locked open with rounds still in the clip.

I've read on other forums where this has been a common issue and many have returned the gun to Sig for "repairs".

Can't explain the slide... A call to SIG may be in order.

As to the non-fires, you didn't say what kind of ammo you were using, and that could be a big factor.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'd try some different factory ammo before sending the gun back to Sig.

The "Rainbow Titanium" finish has been used on several models of Sigs. Here's a P232 RT. It's a hard finish to photograph accurately.

Sig P238 recall notice link.
    http://www.sigsauer.com/customerserv...38upgrade.aspx

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

VIP Member

Sig P238

Quote Originally Posted by cohiba View Post
    First off let me say thanks to everyone on here. I've been watching and learning for a couple months now.

Now to my question. Picked up a new "Rainbow" model of the P238 this weekend for the wife and went to the range today. It's a perfect fit for her and I know the recoil wouldn't be bad.

>>Dear SIG SAUER Customer:

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238™ pistols. We have determined that a small number of P238 pistols may have safety levers that are not manufactured to factory specifications. Under certain conditions, it may be possible for the lever not to be completely engaged in the safe position. In this condition, the gun will not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, when the safety lever is moved to the off position, the hammer may fall, with the remote possibility that the gun could fire unintentionally, thus creating a risk of injury or death.

There have been no reports of any injuries or mishaps; however, in accordance with SIG SAUER, Inc.’s commitment to provide customers with the highest quality products and services, we are issuing a P238 Mandatory Safety Upgrade, to return the identified product to factory specifications. Upon receipt of the firearm, SIG SAUER will, at no cost to the owner, eliminate the risk identified above by replacing the subject part and performing functional upgrades that have been incorporated into the P238, subsequent to its introduction. SIG SAUER will return the firearm, pre-paid, to the owner as quickly as possible.

If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216, please cease use of the firearm immediately. Not all P238s within the identified serial number range are affected; therefore, it is imperative that you contact us via the UPGRADE HOT LINE at 1 (866) 446-1914. An operator will take your information and confirm if your firearm is required to be returned for Upgrading. If necessary, you will receive a certified package from SIG SAUER that will contain a UPS shipping return label, a Return Merchandise Authorization Number, and a box to return the firearm. Simply affix the provided UPS shipping label to the supplied box (completely covering the existing shipping label) and bring the box to a designated UPS drop-off location. Please be certain to include the magazine along with the original SIG SAUER blue gun box. If you have questions or would like further information, you may contact SIG SAUER CUSTOMER SERVICE at 603-772-2302 (Choose Option # 3).

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your immediate cooperation in the return of your P238 handgun.

Sincerely,

SIG SAUER, Inc.<<
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Im sure the gun he has is a post "madatory safety upgrade" (recall).

That said the gun may also need a thorough cleaning too. Guns always need to be cleaned before they are fired when they are brnad new.

There were also some magazine issues with the P238. Would have thought that would have been corrected before the production of the TN series was released, but who knows. I believe it is an easy visual check for the affected mags, but I don't what it is you are supposed to look for....help anyone?

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links