New CCW S&W 908 - Pics + Range report

This is a discussion on New CCW S&W 908 - Pics + Range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you that read my previous thread you know I was looking at a S&W 908 but the pirce seemed pretty steep at ...

For those of you that read my previous thread you know I was looking at a S&W 908 but the pirce seemed pretty steep at 529.00. I went back in today to talk to the owner. The prices at this shop are generally pretty good and I wanted to know why this gun seemed to be priced so much over value. Well...turns out the gun was mismarked. It was susposed to be priced at 400.00. That did it for me. Bought it on the spot. They were also running a deal on 9mm ammo so I picked up 150 rounds and 2 boxes of Hornady critical defense and hit the range!

Accuracy - I shoot this gun a LOT better then my PT709. See posted pics for rapid fire tests. I will be adding some high viz night sights and hogue grips soon which should made it even better. All in all I have to say I'm impressed. I shoot it as well as my 1911 so I am happy with that.

Size - Not as big as it looks. I know that kind of hard to understand but the gun looks quite a bit bigger then my pt709 but when I layed them on top of each other the 908 is only about a quarter in longer. It a fraction wider but not much. Also hold one more round then my 709.

Ergonomics - Decent but need some work. I find the stock grips pretty uncomfortable. A set of hogues should fit that. I can't reach the slide release with my strong hand but I can't do that with any gun for the most part.

Trigger - It's pretty good. The double action first shot takes some getting used to but it's not a problem. Even though I thought I wanted a manual saftey (Once of the things I liked about the 709 when I bought it) the more I practiced with it the more I found that I didn't really like it. I prefer the DA first shot with no saftey. The single action is very nice.

Function - This freaked me out a bit. When I got the gun I ran home, gave it a quick clean and took it to the range. Bang -Stove Pipe. Bang - Stove Pipe. Bang- Stove pipe. I was not happy. So I went and talked to the range master. He asked me if I cleaned it and I said yes. He asked me if I lubed it and I said "I put a quick coat of oil on it" He said he knew exactly what the issue was. He stripped it and put some Pro Gold grease on the slide. The thing ran without a hitch for the next 300 rounds. This is a bit of a adjustment for me but not one I mind. This gun will need to be "maintained". I don't think it's a bad thing but everything else I have owned has basically ran with little to no maintence. However I'm fine with needing to treat her well. I'll clean and lube her once a week and we can bond :)

Over all I am happy with this purchase. I shoot the gun better then my old carry. It holds one more round. And I can get a full grip on it. The 709 is going to the wife and 908 is going on my hip!
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

My other two pics didn't upload.
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Nice setup and report. In the 2nd pic in your 1st post, I think you've got my light. Target, right? Not a bad little light for a single AA battery.

congrats, like it!

VIP Member
    Good report.

I picked up a 3913 recently and haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
    Hopefully the report I file will be as positive as yours.

+1 on the Hogues. I have a set coming too.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffk14 View Post
    Nice setup and report. In the 2nd pic in your 1st post, I think you've got my light. Target, right? Not a bad little light for a single AA battery.

Yep, got it at Target. Not bad at all for under 25 bucks!

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new pistola...

Glad you got the bug worked out with the lube...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Glad you got it
    Enjoy

Very nice pistol! Looks like you got the stainless version which looks almost identical to the 3913. I'm very happy with mine and I hope you wife appreciates the 709. I handled one, but it didn't fit my hand well. Seems to be cut to fit a narrower palm.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Nice gun. I have the 4006 with Hogues grip's.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Nice gun. I have the 4006 with Hogues grip's.
    I am checking out some hogue grips online for it right now. The only thing thats depressing is it doesnt look like they make ones with finger grooves for it :(

Links